My partner has depression - Look for support

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Socrateez

Re: My partner has depression - Look for support

Postby Socrateez » Mon May 13, 2019 12:51 pm

I don't care to take the survey, but this is an interesting topic. My wife has had issues with depression for over 40 yrs and has been on multiple medications and does like her current therapist and psychiatrist. Having a depressed spouse creates some problems with communication at times, and requires a level of compassion and acceptance that can truly test the strength of the marriage.
Socrateez

Regina Quirion

Postby Regina Quirion » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:42 am

I feel bad that you had to go through this phase. When I was depressed I had my dog to take care of me. He was literally there to cheer me up and I realized that there is no point in thinking too much about useless things in life. I was like just look at him..he doesn’t want anything from me but still loves me like hell. That’s what you need in life. Have you ever considered getting an animal?

Spleefy

Postby Spleefy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:50 pm

Hi Socrateez,

I can imagine the strain it would be putting on your marriage. But the fact that you’ve continued to give her your love and support is a testament to your devotion and love for your wife.

Regina... I like what you said about:

I realized that there is no point in thinking too much about useless things in life”.

You make a good point. It serves as a good reminder for us to not spend time overthinking things, especially the small stuff, which only adds unnecessary stress and anxiety--not to mention compounds them.

As Jesus reminds us: "So never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties. Each day has enough of its own troubles".--Matthew 6:34.

Socrateez, your wife clearly has a lot of strength and resilience to endure depression for over 40 years, and no doubt you have been a tremendous source of strength and comfort to her. It shows how much you love your wife and the incredible bond you both share.

Thank you for sharing your situation with us—I’m sure it will be a great source of encouragement and inspiration for many readers.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”