Social Anxiety and panic attacks...

For example: agoraphobia, claustrophobia, social phobia.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Jaymn

Social Anxiety and panic attacks...

Postby Jaymn » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:09 am

I recently started having panic attacks again on top of my S.A. I haven't had one since 3 years ago. Then, on sunday I starting having them again. For no reason at all and out of the blue. It doesn't bother me much because I got rid of them before by letting them happen. Not fighting them. Now, I don't let them bother me much but I'm just wondering why they came back? I talked to my therapist about it. He said they can come out of the blue from having anxiety. Now I have to let them pass I guess.
The Social Anxiety i've had for 8 years. It's gotten the worse the past few years. I can't even go out without thinking people are judging me. They could be laughing at me too. I know that 99% of the time it's not true but the thoughts are still there and make me anxious.
How many people on here have Social Anxiety and/or panic attacks? Also, how do you deal with it?

Jaymn

Postby Jaymn » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:49 am

:?

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:34 am

((((((((((( Jaymn ))))))))))))

When I feel things 'happening' while out shopping and such, I simple stop, and return home, to my world of safety.

Warmie

lisalou

Postby lisalou » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:57 am

I have bad social anxiety too,i try to distact myself with little things - having a 'lucky penny'or other comfort object in my pocket, singing songs in my head,focusing on my walking or breathing,looking at small details around me like what shoes people are wearing etc. also i try to remember that people are generally more concerned about their own affairs than me. it's very hard when i feel so self conscious and have low self esteem though so i do understand how you feel

ggod luck!!!!! :D

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:36 pm

((((((((((((( lisalou )))))))))))))

Agree that others probably don't notice what I am feeling at those moments. Removing myself from the surroundings at that moment does work for me. I then go back, when I feel more solid and complete what I was originally doing.

Warmie

Jaymn

Postby Jaymn » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:26 am

I've been trying that too. It's called Focusing Outward. I've also been praying. Things just haven't been to good for me right now.

lisalou

Postby lisalou » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:40 am

i'm sorry to hear that but well done for trying, you obviously have a fighing spirit and are doing your best to make life better for yourself,in time your efforts will succeed. have you tried meditation,great for bringing anxiety levels down and for learning more about yourself and being comfortable in your mind and body

Jaymn

Postby Jaymn » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:16 pm

Yes, I do meditate. It helps. Thanks for that post. :)

hollyann

Postby hollyann » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:37 am

With my anxiety if I'm having it while out somewhere I do what I need, or leave everything (if possible) and head home. Even if it means gathering myself in the car until I calm down enough to drive. One thing I don't do is force myself out when I'm already anxious if I can avoid it because it tends to make my panic attacks worse. I just try to accept them and move on. and accept my limitations but try again when it eases up. And yes they can definately come out of the blue and return, but hold on to the fact if they let up before they can and will again. Hope that maybe this makes sense and can help you.

Holly.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:29 am

(((((((((((((( Jaymn )))))))))))))))))

Just one of my silly hugs, again.

Warmie

lisalou

Postby lisalou » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:41 pm

I was reading a book about social anxiety and shyness and it said to reduce the anxiety of making eye contact with people you should think 'I like you' as you make eye contact with someone. this has multiple benefits - it distracts you,it takes three seconds which is the perfect amount of time to look in a stranger's eyes apparently and it creates a positive vibe in your mind which will make you feel better and will come across to the other person

:o

I like you!

:D

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:08 pm

good idea lisalou. Worth a try.

Jaymn

Postby Jaymn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:17 am

hmm... never heard of that one...

Nothing's silly about hugs. Thanks warmsoul. :)

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:56 am

((((((((((((( Jaymn )))))))))))))))

Then I will send yet another. :)

Warmie

panguin0

me too

Postby panguin0 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:40 pm

I have a social phobia too. I have'nt had any friends in two years. I understand your fear of everyone judging you and difficulties when it comes to meeting new people.

I've seen some great advice from members on here replying to your post. :idea:

Return to “Phobias”