Any youngster?

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

aim

Postby aim » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:46 pm

Im so glad to hear that, scm! There is absolutely no reason to ever give up. Not for anybody. You never know what might be just around the corner for you. Who might be there to enlighten your life, or what might be there to offer you something you never even dreamed of. Keep fighting, scm. Please do.

I'm from New Jersey, USA. Quite a few folks here from your area though, scm. One great thing about these forums is all the people you get to meet around the world, huh?

Anyway... what kind of help are you getting, scm?

scm9988

Postby scm9988 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:58 am

I refer to psychiatrist once every 6 weeks, and I am taking quite a few medicine every day and night. I think that's the only help I am getting. Although I always feel that i am not prepared to compete with others, my condition is much more better compare to last time. Due to my own effort in jogging and attempting to socialize, the future path has become clearer. I know the recovering process cannot be rushed. However I have a sense of urgency for that. I can't stand I am having bad result in school, I can't stand my gf has ran away from me... I am not satisfied with everything around me. I know someday I am going to put a stop to it.

BrokenPen

Postby BrokenPen » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:49 am

I started suffering depression, at least I think so, around the end of middle school. And really going through puberty and dealing with depression as well as anxiety problems isn't fun, I can tell you. And what's aggravating is that people, particularly adults, think that a kid having depression is just a cry for attention. And really it wasn't, I can tell you that much, it's not fun for me to have people worry over me because of my problems. But the problems still remain at times.

Still, getting back to that age issue it really does seem to be ageism that depression is only for old people when really it can strike anyone at any time and at any age.

aim

Postby aim » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:10 pm

I work for Children's Services as a social worker, and I can tell you that I've seen my share of depressed children with a million different types of anxiety issues. Childhood depression is a very serious thing. I agree. And people who push it off as attention seeking? They are STUPID and SELFISH, and unwilling to see the complexity that a child's mind is truly capable of.

BrokenPen

Postby BrokenPen » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:20 am

aim wrote:I work for Children's Services as a social worker, and I can tell you that I've seen my share of depressed children with a million different types of anxiety issues. Childhood depression is a very serious thing. I agree. And people who push it off as attention seeking? They are STUPID and SELFISH, and unwilling to see the complexity that a child's mind is truly capable of.

I agree. There was a documentary that HBO did called "Boy Interrupted" about a fifteen year old boy who suffered from Bipolar II (Depression) and that kid killed himself in 2005. He was fifteen at the time.

And really, the thing I find aggravating with depression across the board is that people brush it off.

Especially adults (I suffered from this since I was 10) who usually say "You'll get over it." Or even worse when you get to be a teenager people and a young adult people try to one-up you as if saying, "Oh yeah? You're depressed? I was in Vietnam. Man up. Grow a pair and get a spine while you're at it you pussy."

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:51 am

(((((((((( BrokenPen )))))))))))))

And really, the thing I find aggravating with depression across the board is that people brush it off.

What a true statement!! For those that do not suffer or deal with depression have no clue how much we wish we could 'make it go away' or even 'snap out of it'.

Thank you for pointing this out, making that statement. You read my mind.

Warmie

aim

Postby aim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:51 pm

I actually saw that documentary, brokenpen. What a shame. What a waste it was for him to have died.

I think it's so hard for people who do not suffer from depression to truly understand the deep deep lows that go along with it. Even a therapist who has never experienced it cannot really and truly understand how you are feeling. Only us. The ones who are either in the trenches or have been able to claw themselves out can really understand it. I think that's why I love working with my kids are depressed, anxious or in some way emotionally disturbed. They require a certain amount of understanding that I can relate to since I've been there before.

I love your opinions, brokenpen. They are always so well thought-out and useful. Smart guy!!!

BrokenPen

Postby BrokenPen » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:41 pm

aim wrote:I actually saw that documentary, brokenpen. What a shame. What a waste it was for him to have died.

I think it's so hard for people who do not suffer from depression to truly understand the deep deep lows that go along with it. Even a therapist who has never experienced it cannot really and truly understand how you are feeling. Only us. The ones who are either in the trenches or have been able to claw themselves out can really understand it. I think that's why I love working with my kids are depressed, anxious or in some way emotionally disturbed. They require a certain amount of understanding that I can relate to since I've been there before.

I love your opinions, brokenpen. They are always so well thought-out and useful. Smart guy!!!

In that respect Aim. Depression really is a lot like war. People can imagine what it's like but they can't really fathom how bad it is. Only those of us who actually make the fight on our own or with our doctor really know how much of a fight it really is from one day to the next.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:22 pm

(((((((((((( scm9988 ))))))))))))

Thinking of you and thought I would send a hello and a hug.

Warmie

aim

Postby aim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:19 pm

I try to relay to people whose spouse or significant other cannot seem to understand their depression that it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for someone who has never been in the trenches to really get it. It's honestly not their fault, either.

I remember when I was 22 and had my breakdown that went into depression and anxiety. My parents... God bless them, they tried so hard. But how could they possibly understand why their seemingly healthy young daughter would fall apart so? They were supportive and loving... what more could you really ask for, huh?

That's all we can hope for those in our lives that care about us. Love and support. Although, when you have depression, you sometimes are mean and cold, and that gets truly tough on those around us. I remember... I lost a lot of friends back then to the evil. The ones that stuck around and even tried to understand were the true ones who will never leave you.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:20 pm

(((((((((((( Broken ))))))))))))))

You are right, it is a war, just nice we have this place to come to, speak our thoughts and have others understand our feelings.

Warmie

BrokenPen

Postby BrokenPen » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:21 pm

Warmsoul/Jeanie13 wrote:(((((((((((( Broken ))))))))))))))

You are right, it is a war, just nice we have this place to come to, speak our thoughts and have others understand our feelings.

Warmie

You've got that right. War is lonely but it's worse when you have to fight it alone.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:43 am

((((((((((((( BrokenPen ))))))))))))))

The beauty of this forum is we fight together, we share, we care. Makes the battle more 'do-able' (if such a word).

Thanks for being here for me, for others, you are a true friend.

Warmie

aim

Postby aim » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:55 pm

congratulations, Jeanie. You accomplished what you wanted. I QUIT THE FORUMS. I am weary of being ignored. For those of you who do not ignore me, first of all, thank you. If you'd like to keep in touch with me, please see my blog at, http://depression-blogs-chat-rooms.org/ ... /index.php . My email address is listed there as well. I will miss most of you and would like to know how you are doing. Please do not erase this entry. I've given a lot to the DU forums, and this is my final request. Thank you.

BrokenPen

Postby BrokenPen » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:19 pm

aim wrote:congratulations, Jeanie. You accomplished what you wanted. I QUIT THE FORUMS. I am weary of being ignored. For those of you who do not ignore me, first of all, thank you. If you'd like to keep in touch with me, please see my blog at, http://depression-understood.org/forum/ ... 4728#44728. My email address is listed there as well. I will miss most of you and would like to know how you are doing. Please do not erase this entry. I've given a lot to the DU forums, and this is my final request. Thank you.

I just hope that things will work out for ya, Aim.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”