Any youngster?

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

scm9988

Any youngster?

Postby scm9988 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:35 am

I am currently 21 years old and I am depressed. When I referred to psychiatrist in clinic, I can see no younsters. All is old folks. R there any youngster here would like to share his/her condition? Am I the only young person here?

-Stephen-

Postby -Stephen- » Sat May 29, 2010 8:19 pm

There are people of all ages here (especially in the chat room). Why are you so concerned as to the age of the people you talk to? Is it just as you feel you'll have more in common with them? -- Just curious.

Stephen

aim

Postby aim » Sat May 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Well, I'm 34 but had my first bout of depression at 22, so I do understand. I had a nervous breakdown at that age which spiraled out of control into depression. You would be surprised to know that often, depression does begin in your early 20's. I think part of the reason that it is more well known to older people, such as myself, is because we reach out into the community for help. Young people don't always do that.

Kudos to you for getting yourself out there. Don't stop.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:54 am

(((((((((((( scm9988 )))))))))))))))

Hello, welcome to the forums, glad you found us. Lots of good people here, with an age ranges that covers about everyone. Also for different countries, which is interesting.

Feel free to share and know we all deal with depression, anxiety, and live what each other lives.

Hope to see you about.

Warmie

scm9988

Postby scm9988 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:17 am

I do agree that older people know how to vent their emotion more than younger people do. That is why very often we see younger people suiciding in the newspaper. People with depression can be so sensitive and vulnerable to bad thing happen to them. For instance, getting bad result in school will result in suicidal action. I am just curious whether there are less people with depression in younger age, or younger people don't vent in public.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:22 am

(((((((( scm )))))))))))

Feel the older we get, we learn different ways of venting, all that come with time or aging.

Younger people haven't gotten to that level and their solutions can be extreme, for lack of experience. Just what I feel. The younger do need understanding and guidance from the 'older' and sometimes wiser ones.

Depression doesn't care about the age. That's the sad part. I have known very young children that have been diagnosed with it, I know the elderly that have had the same.

Life itself isn't always easy. All we can do is keep trying, support others the best we can and hope we can receive the same.

Hope this makes some sense.

Warmie
Last edited by Warmsoul/Jeanie13 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aim

Postby aim » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:46 pm

Absolutely, scm! It's unfortunate that such brilliant young people have to suffer so. And do not ever doubt that it takes some kind of a brilliant brain to become depressed! I've always believed that.

And Jeanie is right... Depression does not discriminate based upon age, color or creed, huh? I was 22 during my first horrid bout with the monster.

Just remember we are all here because we need each other. Would love to know more about you if you'd like to share!

scm9988

Postby scm9988 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:24 am

Depression is just like a vicious cycle. Yesterday my mood was so good until I would like to share a lot of thing. Unfortunately today, my mood has reached to the bottom. Let me share my feeling today.

When my mood is good, I will do a lot of thing like making a conversation with people, at the same time believing people will like talking with me. But now, I simply feel like I am a useless person, people might feel tired of comforting me, people may not like me here. Sorry for being so negative, please tell me what I am thinking is wrong.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:10 am

((((((((((( Scm )))))))))))))))

You described it perfectly. When in control of this "depression issue" we feel good, sometimes great! You can even use the word 'normal', (hate to hear that word at times, guess it is due to how it has been used with myself.)

Then you have days as you described. I can't say you are feeling or thinking things that are wrong. I feel the same, the exact same, so does that make it wrong for myself as well?

This depression we have, live through is maddening at times. We wonder 'why me', but this is the lot we deal with daily. It truly is a vicious cycle as you said. To me you are not being negative, you are being truthful, there is a big difference.

There is a saying, "you have to live it to know it"! I do believe that and we do live it. Hopefully your posting here, getting support from people will shed a tiny bit of little and let you see you aren't alone.

Do hope you day will become a little lighter for you, keeping you in my thoughts.

Warmie

((((( aim ))))) Thanks.

AmyHoe

Postby AmyHoe » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:52 pm

I'm 22 years old, and am suffering from very bad depression as well.
I had my first occurence when I was 10. I don't think you're the only young one around with depression. It's just that probably when we're young, we haven't seen the worst of life, so the probability of depression is lower. As you get older, and you bear more responsibilities in life and you go through stress, work, family, etc....then depression is more likely to occur.

carly

Postby carly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:36 am

I'm 18 and have been depressed for quite some time. A lot of the time i feel like people don't take me or my problems seriously because im just a teenager, and what problems can a kid have right? They think im just some drama queen crying out for attention. It can be frustrating and very hurtful for people to laugh or dismiss your pain like that just because of age. Thankfully i haven't found anybody like that here :) <3

scm9988

Postby scm9988 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:27 am

Amy Hoe where do u from? I agree with u. The older we get, the more thing we face, and the probability of having miserable experience is higher. Sadly to say, we are the unlucky 1. U and I are just 22 years old, and we are bearing the stress much more higher than a teenager should face.

Sometimes I just feel like I am not an ordinary young person like every 1 around me. They like to make some silly joke or do some silly thing which I never have interested in. I am curious whether that is what a normal 22 years old person should act, or my mind is just simply too old to be in this age. Sometimes I just feel like they are acting this way, is because they don't see the negative side of life as much as I did. I don't know whether u and Carly are having the same feeling as me.

Carly, they don't take your problem seriously is because they never have faced the pain. I know how u feel, some ppl around me don't take my problem seriously as well. U and I have to be tough in order to get ourselves back on track.

aim

Postby aim » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:44 pm

scm... if this forum has taught you anything, I hope it teaches you that you are quite normal. You are also not the only young person suffering from this horrible illness.

The depressed are the more intelligent... I TRULY believe that!!

AmyHoe

Postby AmyHoe » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:02 am

Hey scm,
I'm from Malaysia. Your friends making silly jokes is a normal part of life.
People socialize and go out and make silly jokes to enjoy life, and these things give people reasons to live. When I'm out, I make jokes too, so that people will not see what I'm really going through underneath. But it's still not enough a reason for me to live.

Yes there are people who think I'm just crying out for attention...and it makes me sad that they think this way. But ya, it's coz they have not been through what we are going through.

I'm very glad I stumbled upon this forum, it has made me feel so much better that there are so many warm, friendly people who understand. And when I'm able, I try to be positive, unless when it's very bad, then I become very negative.

Try having things to look forward to. When I have a party to look forward to, sometimes it helps make me feel better. Sometimes only...not all the time.

scm9988

Postby scm9988 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:03 am

I know making silly joke plays a part in our social circle. I simply think the silly joke they make are really silly, and I can't force myself to laugh because of that. However, I do enjoy chatting with colleagues who are older than me. That's why I said, my mind is simply too old to be in this age. Colleagues I mean was when I worked in industrial training last time. I am still studying.

I am from Malaysia too. U r from Malaysia which part? Kepong here. And I refer to psychiatrist in Jalan Pudu KL.

Aim, I have learned that my case is not the worst here. So, there is no reason for me to give up, and no reason for any 1 here to give up too.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”