The big winner

Miscellaneous Posts.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Theblackdragon

The big winner

Postby Theblackdragon » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:29 am

So I was offering some advice to someone recently and made an analogy I will share here.

This story follows two people who enter a marathon. The first person enters the marathon as they do every year and they manage to come in first place beating last year's time by seven seconds. All the people at the finish line are cheering and congratulating our winner. Several hours pass and the crowd gets smaller and smaller as the other runners cross the finish line until the last person finally crosses. There are only a couple of spectators left and they look upon the last place person with great pity. They try to console the loser and tell them well at least you finished, and at least you tried, we can't all win you know, someone has to lose. The last place person laughs through gasps for air and wanders off. What Noone realizes is that the last place person was in a horrible accident eight months prior and was told they would never walk again yet here they are having just completed a marathon. So who is the real winner? Point is that even though people may put you down for what they perceived as failure is not necessarily so. Not knowing each individuals situation it is impossible to pass sound judgment. If yesterday I was so depressed I couldn't even get out of bed then the fact that today I did the dishes is quite an accomplishment. Nothing to the eyes of a casual observer but a great personal victory. Take pride in all you accomplish.

emily67

Postby emily67 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:55 pm

thanks for sharing that.

that's encouraging

Prycejosh1987

Re: The big winner

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:46 pm

Theblackdragon wrote:So I was offering some advice to someone recently and made an analogy I will share here.

This story follows two people who enter a marathon. The first person enters the marathon as they do every year and they manage to come in first place beating last year's time by seven seconds. All the people at the finish line are cheering and congratulating our winner. Several hours pass and the crowd gets smaller and smaller as the other runners cross the finish line until the last person finally crosses. There are only a couple of spectators left and they look upon the last place person with great pity. They try to console the loser and tell them well at least you finished, and at least you tried, we can't all win you know, someone has to lose. The last place person laughs through gasps for air and wanders off. What Noone realizes is that the last place person was in a horrible accident eight months prior and was told they would never walk again yet here they are having just completed a marathon. So who is the real winner? Point is that even though people may put you down for what they perceived as failure is not necessarily so. Not knowing each individuals situation it is impossible to pass sound judgment. If yesterday I was so depressed I couldn't even get out of bed then the fact that today I did the dishes is quite an accomplishment. Nothing to the eyes of a casual observer but a great personal victory. Take pride in all you accomplish.

Exactly, that is one way to look at things.

Return to “Other Thoughts, Feelings and Messages”