One more thing before bed...

Miscellaneous Posts.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Havanesemom

One more thing before bed...

Postby Havanesemom » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:37 am

One more thought before I make another attempt at sleep tonight. I've read through the forum and found so many people who have written a post about being sad, angry, and lost. To be followed by so many other responding to their grief. I find it wonderful that so many people want to respond to try to help. It's so sad though that the original poster does not respond and does not seem to be heard from again. Where do these people go? Did they read the responses? Do they know that people care and want to help? Maybe they feel like it's all just bull. Maybe it made things worse, typing it all up for others to read and reply too. Maybe it helped, just to put it in writing. To get it out there for people to see. The responses may not matter to them. I don't know. But being new to this forum, I know that it has helped me tonight. Even if I do not come back and read the responses. (Which I'm very sure I will) Even if I never return. I'm going to close my laptop and know that I feel somewhat better getting it all out there. Well, not all, but enough for tonight. Goodnight, and good morning to the rest of the world.

Elysium

Postby Elysium » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:59 pm

Oh, they most likely read the responses. Maybe people don't really feel like they have good answers at the time, but they certainly read. In my honest experience it does help to get a reasonably sane response from the world for once though. The amazing thing with people is that there's always the possibility for some kind of light inside, even if that light hasn't been recognized for ages. As you pointed out in your post prior to this one, the default way seems to be that our boundless potential is overshaded by our current life situation.
Havanesemom wrote:My mom and her many husbands, boyfriends, and friends drank, used drugs, and abused the kids. How can a child that grows up in that hateful environment end up a happy go lucky person? They don't.

Light will probably not be big and bright to begin with, and it might not even be recognized. People feel a bit better at most. But to feel a little bit better for a human being is a starting point for something greater. To have a starting point for something greater might be more than what you had to begin with.

I love this quote by Joseph Campbell:
“Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.”

You probably feel like this is a grave simplification at best, and you're of course perfectly allowed to feel this way. Nobody can be an authority on how you should or should not feel and relate to stuff. However, it is equally as true that some people can relate to this quote as an expression of great truth highly representative of life.

Keep on expressing yourself. I like the way you described how it makes you feel somewhat better writing stuff down for the world to take part of, it's great that it works that way for you.

Frame

Postby Frame » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:07 pm

I think it's true, Havanesemom, that correspondence threads are the exception rather than the rule; and in general, long threads are about lighter topics. It's nice to see that people do come into the fray and continue to respond when someone is seeking help. Sometimes people just need to vent. I think that all your potential reasons for unanswered threads are insightful and probably true.

Sometimes it's a one stop post and people regret even stopping by. I often respond more for those I know are reading than for the poster. Most of the problems people struggle with are familiar. A new poster may express one type of problem in new words and I respond in an attempt to lend perspective. It's great if that person discovers new insight, but if they never return there are many who will.

There are all kinds of road blocks that keep people from getting back to the sight right away; then things resolve and it's a real boost for them to see that people have given time to their post, have considered their problems.

Return to “Other Thoughts, Feelings and Messages”