Do depression Meds really help?

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

AmyHoe

Do depression Meds really help?

Postby AmyHoe » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:01 am

Hey everyone,

I thought I've been doing much better with my depression lately...but it keeps coming back. It's been so frequent now I breakdown everyday.
I used to be on Meds, but they made me sickly and unable to function properly in my day-to-day live so therefore I stopped. My doc was useless.
But it's been so bad recently sometimes I feel I don't know how to go through life anymore. I haven't worked in 2 months, people around me think I'm just lazy and useless and irresponsible. I'm thinking if I should go back to see a psychiatrist all over again...it's just that the government hospitals where I'm at is just horrible. You have to wait for hours, just to see the doc for 15 mins, get meds and go home. In the waiting room, I'm surrounded by crazier people than I am and it makes me feel so much worst after each visit. I'd literally drive home quick just so that I can breakdown all over again. What do I do? :(
Help!

Atrophy

Postby Atrophy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:30 am

Hey I know how you feel about meds. I think it is a really hard decision- obviously different meds affect different people differently. I also stopped taking meds because it just seemed to take away any of me that was left. But then when things get really bad I feel I may be irresponsible by not taking them and sometimes I feel I really need something else to help get me through.

The service where you are does not sound good. Is there perhaps a different doctor you could see?? Then you could tell them how you feel about seeing psychs and see if there are any other options available for you? Maybe just get meds from doctors and see a counsellor in the area or something.

I haven't worked in 2 months, people around me think I'm just lazy and useless and irresponsible

This is only because they have no idea what you are going through- trust me any one who has also suffered from depression knows that this is not the case at all.

I hope things work out for you

AmyHoe

Postby AmyHoe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:39 am

Hey guys,
thanks for giving your opinion. Atrophy, thank u so much.
it just made me feel better...:) well, yea there are better doctors i could see but those are private and costs alot. i don't think i could afford those. it goes by a few hundreds... :?
so i've no choice but to rely on government ones if i EVER plan to go back there.
I also stopped taking meds because it just seemed to take away any of me that was left.

i know exactly wat that felt like. sometimes i guess i just need someone who understands. and i find that comfort here. i can't find that comfort anywhere else and that sucks. so atrophy, did u go back to the meds?

daniel henry, how far have you recovered wit the help of meds?[/quote]

scm9988

Postby scm9988 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:05 am

Amy Hoe, I am from Malaysia here.. I know the problem u r facing. Some doctors r useless I agree. Prior to the current doctor I am referring to, I had reffered to an Indian psychiastrist, and he is useless. After few months I took the medicine he gave, I saw no improvement. Then I just stopped for about a year, and thought that meds were not helping me at all. This is because I haven't meet the right doctor. Now I am referring to a doctor in Jalan Pudu. Although it cost me a lot, but it does really help me so much in my recovering process. I ever asked my current doctor why I saw no sign of recovering although I had taken meds for few months last time, then I told him the name of meds I took. And guess what he told me, the meds the Indian doctor gave me was old type of meds which effect is very slow. I am just trying to say, referring to a private doctor might be costly, but it's worth. Now I am almost back on track in my life, thanks to him.

Atrophy

Postby Atrophy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:14 am

For depression alone no, I am two years off them now, but it has not been easy, and there has been times where I think I probably should have taken them. I think at christmas I should maybe have had meds because well, sometimes it's 'live to fight another day'. So maybe somethings could have been avoided...

But then this year I have had delusions and hallucinations- and I'm going to see the doctor next week, I am still along way from ok about taking meds, but just have to see how it goes and what they say- I told my counsellor that I would try to be open to discussion about meds- so I'll let you know next week! My other problem is that I still have some essays to finish for uni, I am in my final year and I kind of need the thinking powers I have- it makes it hard enough as it is- if my brain got any slower I don't know if I'd be able to do them at all. (my reason for not telling the doctors earlier)

glad you feel a little better. I know what you mean, it can feel so alone going through all this and it is nice to know there are actually lots of other people going through the same sort of thing and you aren't as alone as you thought.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:58 am

((((((((((((( Amy )))))))))))))))

Hoping you are standing a little firmer and back to the doctor if you have been able to do that.

Posting and sharing with others, here, has helped me so much in the past. Knowing I am not along in how I feel.

Keep posting, keep venting, getting it 'off the chest' 'out of mind' if only for a short time does help.

Warmie

AmyHoe

Postby AmyHoe » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:16 am

Hey scm,
Glad the doctor is helping you. a few weeks ago you were in really bad shape. how much is this private one in jalan pudu? is he really that good?

atrophy,
i know how u feel bout the uni and exams. i actually stopped college coz of my depression. i couldn't sleep, i couldn't eat, i lost weight, i couldn't think, i cried all the time, i was so slow...so i decided to stop, coz i couldn'y defer a semester. hallucinations are bad. apparently if severe depression is left for too long, it could turn to schizoprenia...so watch out for that ok. don't want u to get worst..
also, the things u've been saying haf been so comforting to me as it's exactly how i feel sometimes too. thanks so much..

hey jeanie,
thanks. erm up and down. haven't been back to the docs yet...
it's getting harder to get up in the mornings to live through the day,
but my newborn niece is keeping me going. i hope she'll continue to be something to help me get through. wat's ur take on depression meds?

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:04 pm

((((((((((( AmyH )))))))))))))

Glad you have the niece to keep you motivated. Children are great at causing that.

Meds and me, right now doctor is more concern with the diabetes and liver disease. Other meds aren't good with them, so dealing with things as I can. Maybe in time they will get things sorted out, I can only hope.

Thanks for asking.

Warmie

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”