Anyone here who also have kids? How do you handle life with kids while battling depression?

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

justnobody

Anyone here who also have kids? How do you handle life with kids while battling depression?

Postby justnobody » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:50 am

I have a toddler. She's the best but at the same time the worst. She's friendly and energetic, but also extremely clingy and stubborn. That makes her a handful. I've "paused" therapy for a year and a half as of now because DD will literally cry until her face turns purple if I am out of sight and don't return once she starts crying. I've tried. For a couple of times I've tried leaving her with our sitter and went to the grocery store. 30 minutes later sitter called and I could hear DD screaming in the background. When I got home she was sobbing and gasping, her face bright purple. I can't take her with me to therapy because therapist doesn't allow me to take her into the office, and it's probably not a good idea letting her see me cry over my problems anyway.

For now I get by using "herbal supplements" that I know are just placebos. I can feel my mental health going down. I can feel my anxiety elevating and suicidal thoughts resurfacing. When anxiety strikes, I lose the ability to stay calm and maintain the eye contact DD needs so much, and I feel bad. I tried reaching out for help at a local parents support forum, kid you not, people there judged me for having kids while being depressed. I got DMs calling me names, accusing me of ruining an innocent child, etc etc. A few specifically told me to divorce or even kill myself so DH could find a new wife who's not a psycho. It was horrible. I deleted my account after three days.

DH works ungodly long hours so there's only this much he can do. While our sitter is amazing, I still feel overwhelmed by parenting. Any parents here willing to share your experiences? TIA

Chinadoll13

Re: Anyone here who also have kids? How do you handle life with kids while battling depression?

Postby Chinadoll13 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:38 pm

Oh my goodness, my heart breaks for you. I've been diagnosed with depression for years and went through it when I had my kids. I can definitely feel your frustration! I am so sorry that you had such an awful experience at the other forum! That is so horrible!
Have you talked to your doctor about the depression? Is there any medication that they can prescribe? It is challenging to raise kids when you have depression, but it is absolutely manageable. Do you have a support system around you? For me, it really helped to have family and friends who could step in when I needed a little time to myself. I do believe that you have to take care of yourself first in order to be a good mom and wife to your family. If you are empty, how can you give your family anything? Your mental and emotional health is very important. Try to take a little time each day for you. Put the baby down for a nap. Let her watch a favorite show on TV. It's ok to take care of yourself. In addition, I think that your husband needs to be part of your support team. Unless it was agreed before the baby, both of you should be raising the child - not just you. I can understand that your husband works late and hard, but that doesn't mean he can't watch the baby for 15 minutes while you take a shower.
I would also try to find another therapist that could see you with your child. I know that the situation is not ideal, but it would be truly beneficial for you to talk with someone professionally. Besides, there's nothing wrong with allowing your daughter to see you cry. If anything, it shows her that her mommy is human and capable of feeling sad sometimes.
Lastly, your daughter is probably at the stage of separation anxiety. Both my children went through that too and although it is frustrating, she will grow out of it. Perhaps you could have the sitter come by while you are at home and let your daughter get used to her. The sitter could distract her with play while you got some things done. Stay in her line of sight but gradually disappear from the room until your daughter is used to you not being there.
I hope this helps some and gives you some encouragement that you are not alone! Please speak with your doctor though about your feelings of depression. I hope that things improve for you soon. Take care of yourself and your family.

Spleefy

Re: Anyone here who also have kids? How do you handle life with kids while battling depression?

Postby Spleefy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:37 am

Being a parent is a full-time role and a challenge in itself. But the fact you are doing it with depression is remarkable. They seriously judged you? Wow! The audacity of some people. It is easy to judge when they are on the outside. Their tone might change if they were in your shoes.

Water off a duck’s back. Their judgments are a reflection of how they feel about themselves. Deep down they probably admire how much you are able to take on. To raise your darling daughter while battling depression. That takes guts!

I am a full-time carer myself for my uncle whom has special needs. I had a relapse of depression two years ago. I was trying to keep my crapola together whilst still trying my best to make sure he was unaffected by it. The struggle was real! I was fortunate that it only lasted a month or so before I put depression back in its place. But there are people who will struggle for years whilst simultaneously taking care of a family.

I hope you didn’t take their judgment too hard. You are doing the best you can. You’re giving your daughter the best care you can and seeking help for depression.

One of the things that helped me during my relapse was to think of my uncle. I haven't had depression for years prior to this relapse, so I was shocked that I even got it again. I was very anxious about it because I did not want to live through it again. Depression stole many years of my life that I cannot get back. I do not want to ever go through that again. Although, in one way I am glad I did have it because it added to the person I am today. I just wish it didn't come at the price of suffering for so many years :P But it is what it is, no use crying over spilt milk.

So, yeah, one of the biggest motivators for me during the relapse was how this would affect my uncle. I knew that if I didn’t pull through this, and fast, my uncle would be affected by it. My mission is to give him the best quality of life possible, and depression is NOT a part of that plan.

You are not ruining your daughter’s life. If anything, you are going to be a great role model for her one day when you get through this. You will set the example for her that you did whatever it took to give yourself and your family the best life possible, with or without depression. What an amazing mom!

One day when she is grown up, she will do the same with her own family whenever adversity strikes.

JkBrauer

Postby JkBrauer » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:44 am

Hello,
I am sorry to hear about the hardship you are going through right now. What kind of things do you do for fun, to take time to just enjoy life?
Can you get out and take your toddler to the park and feed the ducks, or put him in the stroller and just go for a walk, play in the back yard, go out to McDonald's and get lunch...?

Try to get out and find something enjoyable to do today.

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:45 pm

The best a person can do with depressive kids, is to support them, and help them with coping methods and on support on road to recovery. Good luck. Kids dont usually like to reveals their feelings to parents, you have to catch it and nip it by the bud, because otherwise it may it too late. Good luck.

useranonymous

Postby useranonymous » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:26 pm

Hello. Im so glad it's not just me that has felt depressed and developed anxiety again. I put a post on here a few weeks ago called ' feeling like a terrible mother during lockdown'. Not sure if it's still on here but if you find it I can relate so much to you. There are alot if parents out there who can so well portray the perfect parent and out others down. I say f*** them, as they seem to think all kids are the same and their way is the correct way. It's completely normal to feel like you are losing it sometimes, it's just about finding a coping strategy, even if you have to walk away from your screaming toddler for 5 or 10 minutes. There is no shame in it. My husband also works long hours and I feel so alone sonetimes plus I'm already an anxious person with the lowest opinion of myself. I find it helps to just have a selfish day occasionally by leaving the TV on do I can listen to music, I don't do this all the time though. I mostly go the playground alot and walk the dog or go to feed the ducks. They are simple things but really help keep my mind preoccupied from negative thoughts. Just know you are a wonderful mother. I know it's so difficult not to doubt youtself. Also, it's normal for kids to be little s h I ts most days haha! It's do nice to be able to talk to somebody feeling the same as me. Kids give you good days and bad days and don't feel bad for feeling like you are losing it sometimes. I'm a first time mum and have learnt that parenthood is not easy or simple and includes a rollercoaster of emotions. You will always love your child unconditionally. Anyway better go, I'm doing dinner all on my own. ......again! Good luck xxx

useranonymous

Postby useranonymous » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:34 pm

[quote="useranonymous"]Hello. Im so glad it's not just me that has felt depressed and developed anxiety again. I put a post on here a few weeks ago called ' feeling like a terrible mother during lockdown'. Not sure if it's still on here but if you find it I can relate so much to you. There are alot if parents out there who can so well portray the perfect parent and out others down. I say f*** them, as they seem to think all kids are the same and their way is the correct way. I've been to so many groups listening to the alpha parents saying things like 'oh haven't you started potty training yet?' or 'my son always listens when I say no' or 'my house is always spotless'. I've just had to lidten, grit my teeth and be out down. I now realise they are not worth knowing . Ive also met some really lovely people who I am now friends with, so it wasn't all bad. It's completely normal to feel like you are losing it sometimes, it's just about finding a coping strategy, even if you have to walk away from your screaming toddler for 5 or 10 minutes. There is no shame in it. My husband also works long hours and I feel so alone sonetimes plus I'm already an anxious person with the lowest opinion of myself. I find it helps to just have a selfish day occasionally by leaving the TV on do I can listen to music, I don't do this all the time though. I mostly go the playground alot and walk the dog or go to feed the ducks. They are simple things but really help keep my mind preoccupied from negative thoughts. Just know you are a wonderful mother. I know it's so difficult not to doubt youtself. Also, it's normal for kids to be little s h I ts most days haha! It's do nice to be able to talk to somebody feeling the same as me. Kids give you good days and bad days and don't feel bad for feeling like you are losing it sometimes. I'm a first time mum and have learnt that parenthood is not easy or simple and includes a rollercoaster of emotions. You will always love your child unconditionally. Anyway better go, I'm doing dinner all on my own. ......again! Good luck xxx[

CamGirl

Postby CamGirl » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:30 pm

Depression gets the best of us, but I think when you know that people are depending on you, the kids, it would make you get yourself together.

CamGirl

Postby CamGirl » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:50 am

Parenting is the most difficult thing in this world. It's impossible to love yourself because you'd be selfish for doing so. I mean, you cannot be not okay because you're supposed to be okay. If you feel drained for being a parent, you like committed a grave sin. Don't get me wrong. Our children are the most precious thing, but sometimes, they could also be the one thing that holds us back, and that's in a good and bad way. Now, I think it's just a matter of who will you put first? Of course, the children.

semirason

Postby semirason » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:47 am

I understand your feelings. I had a hard time and got through it with therapy too. I can't imagine how I would get through it with a child. A close friend of mine is very depressed right now because she got pregnant and her boyfriend dumped her. I can see how emotionally difficult it's for her, but she can't take any medication for depression. I support her in everything, I live with her now and help with the house. I think you don't need to stop therapy. Maybe there is an opportunity to take your child with you to sessions.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”