I can't start doing anything

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Pepper

I can't start doing anything

Postby Pepper » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:09 am

Hi! I always thought myself just lazy, but one of my friends suggested that maybe my inability to actually start a task is maybe somehow connected to my mental health? I looked up executive dysfunction and it looks like I may have it. It always feels like I'm waiting for something, but I never know what. Does anyone here also have it or maybe similar motivation problems and how to cope with it?

Painting paintin

Re: I can't start doing anything

Postby Painting paintin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:24 am

Hey! So I think only a doctor could tell you what you actually have, but the best thing for me was to not label anything, especially with depression. Although it creates a great community for yourself and helps you feel, for lack of better words, more normal, it can also limit you. So the first thing I would do is go to a doctor and then if you have it, research more about the symptoms and ways to overcome it, but be willing. Depression keeps me in bed way more times then I would like. I refuse to prioritize school because I would rather just watch TV, lay with my dog or look at the wall, but we have to get up and do something. Even if it doesn't make you feel super positive doing the active thing you're doing, or you get super down afterward, we have to continue trying to overcome it. I think it's awesome that you reached out to not only the forum but your friend as well. Maybe they can help you find some things that interest you and that's the best place to start. But not wanting to do absolutely anything is definitely normal and I more than understand the insecurities it can make you feel on the lazy aspect. It makes you worried and mad at yourself, but go see a doctor and continue talking to friends.

Suzi

Postby Suzi » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:59 am

Physical and mental activity are the two biggest motivators for me. I make it a habit not to wait until I "feel" like doing something to do it. I make lists. Daily lists of things I have to do and also lists of things I want to do or try when I have extra time. I never allow myself to do nothing. If I am not doing regular household chores, I read a book, work on a craft, etc. I do this because I read one time that physical inactivity can actually cause depression. Getting up and moving keeps your body and mind healthy.

Jtw

Postby Jtw » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:53 pm

Build a new routine. I exercise every day, I have a demanding job and other things that constantly force me to work to my limits. Identify the problems and remove them.
You have negative habits that are in the place of positive ones. You have the same amount of time as everyone else, you just use it differently. Some people spend too much time online, watch too much TV, etc. Those things take the place of a real life. Spot the problem areas and start replacing them with better ones.
Stop watching movies, start reading books, for instance. Stop going online, start working face to face with people. Go out, join a club, volunteer, be part of the world.

hundal

Postby hundal » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:20 am

I encourage myself by listening to inspirational podcasts. To overcome, I always engage in physical activity.

Eliza

Postby Eliza » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:23 am

I do admit it's hard to start moving, but once you Do do it, you won't regret it. Starting is what is hardest sometimes. (I've spent way too much time in bed before, and still do. I do try to persevere, though).

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”