Anyone else undergoing ECT for depression?

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

DrHPA42617

Anyone else undergoing ECT for depression?

Postby DrHPA42617 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:47 pm

I have suffered from severe Major Depressive Disorder my entire life and have tried every treatment imaginable. I initiated bilateral electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) three months ago and haven't really noticed any improvement. I'm keeping with it because I haven't given up all hope that it will help; however, the side effects are very difficult to deal with. In particular, the resulting amnesia and general mental fog is preventing me from doing essentially anything worthwhile. It's severe enough that I had to resign from my postdoc fellowship and basically put my dream career on hold. I can tell you, contemplating how far my life has devolved in the past few months does not help my depression in the slightest.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

Cactus.ly

Re: Anyone else undergoing ECT for depression?

Postby Cactus.ly » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience. I plan on asking my doctor about this treatment. Hopefully, someone else will weigh in with more about side effects.

DrHPA42617

Postby DrHPA42617 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:49 pm

Cactus.ly wrote:Thank you for sharing your experience. I plan on asking my doctor about this treatment. Hopefully, someone else will weigh in with more about side effects.

Hi Cactus,

Thank you for your response, and I definitely recommend asking your doctor about ECT. I personally am not experiencing as quick or as effective relief as I had hoped, but the vast majority of other people that I meet in the ECT clinic say that it was worked wonders from them and that they've noticed an improvement in their own symptoms as soon as two or three weeks. I think the most consistent complaint is the memory loss, but given the choice between that and crippling depression.....

Please let me know if there are any other questions/concerns that I can help elucidate. Thanks again for your response!

Wishing you all the best!

Cactus.ly

Postby Cactus.ly » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:38 am

Hi DrHPA,

Thank you for your reply. I am very concerned about the possibility of memory loss if I were to go undergo ECT treatment, given I am a writer and do a lot of work day-to-day in my head based on work there from the day before. This continues until ready to form something on "paper." Seems I will need to adjust my process (smile).

In any event, I am sorry that you are suffering this side effect. Thank you for the kind words, and I will certainly take you up on your offer as I come into more questions.

In the meantime, I wish you relief.

Cactus.ly

Postby Cactus.ly » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:56 am

Hello Janine,

I totally get wanting to go to med school simply to improve oneself. I think about doing that too, and I am glad you've found peace.

I also mentioned Michael Pollan's new book on a thread here recently, about psychadelics and treating depression. I am a believer in the power of fiction to change our lives (because it changes our mind). Dreams have been very healing for me because they have allowed me to imagine what Knew but could not imagine. For instance, I knew there was a happy version of my father somewhere, but I couldn't imagine it. Not long ago I had a dream and met that man, happy and present for me in a way that I could never imagine. It was healing for the most part. Not entirely, but the experience allowed me to know my father as a funtional and secure man and also feel the love from this fatherly security, which is something I could never before imagine. I woke up with the love of my late father. It makes me think there is a powerful opportunity in VR/AR to help heal trauma.

Anyway, I am treated at a VA facility, so not sure yet if they offer any of these treatments. They are still testing to approve the effectiveness of medical marijuana.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”