ECT

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

CajunKimby

ECT

Postby CajunKimby » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:35 pm

Undergoing ECT in one week. Any comments or input?

specter

Postby specter » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:53 am

... I've seen some personal videos on the Internet about people who have undergone ECT and were severely traumatized. I don't recall these videos, but these people mostly made the claim that they felt that "a piece of themselves was gone," and that they had "brain damage". They also cited some material -- didn't make note of it/can't remember -- that some professional made the claim that brain damaged caused by ECT was beneficial in treating depression. :?

Again, these were personal videos from people who underwent the treatment themselves. They seemed really distraught by the therapy.

--but no, no personal input on my end. I just hope you gave this plenty of thought.

CajunKimby

Postby CajunKimby » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:51 am

I decided not to get the ECT.

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:30 am

This is an observation thought I had on reading this thread not a criticism...

I like that CajunKimby researched their decision.

I like that specter provided a pointer to people expressing their points of view. I think that a post-ECT video could be much more convincing than writing.

I wish that CajunKimby had shared some of their reasons for initially being pointed to ECT, and then deciding to reject the therapy for now. This is a safe space, so detailed reasons pro and con could help someone making a similar decision.

I know its hard to write, details seem disparaged everywhere. But, I think expressing them helps us to connect. That said, unless I was experiencing wrenching pain, I don't think I would want a Dr. to mess with my physical substrate. I would put the decision for ECT somewhere after self-harm, but certainly before a more final decision.

Did you have to make this decision in a vacuum? I am surprised that the doctor wasn't able to present you with testimonies from patients who had the work done. If I was given testimonies, I don't think I would trust them if there weren't some negative reviews.

CajunKimby

Postby CajunKimby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:12 am

So I decided to get the ECT after all. I just received my 2nd treatment this morning in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I haven't noticed any effect on my mood thus far, but typically one doesn't experience that change until the 4th or 5th treatment. What led up to such drastic measures? Well I have had major depression for a decade, all through my 20s (I am 32 now). In the past few years, I started to get suicidal often, every couple of months. I would bounce back and start to get my life reestablished, only to have the depression return, usually landing me in a psychiatric hospital for suicidal thoughts. I've tried practically every medecine and therapy. This is no way to live, and can only hope something better is on the other side.

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:08 pm

Thankyou CajunKimby.

I hope this treatment works out for you.

Keep letting us know what your thoughts are ....

I've said elsewhere that depression can feel like childbirth, you can't objectively weigh how much your feeling until you're in the middle of it. I've never given birth, but I've been to one.

CajunKimby

Postby CajunKimby » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:51 am

I just had my 6th treatment, and the depression is totally lifted! I also have more mental clarity and focus. I didn't think this level of happiness was possible for me in this life time. Thank God, my prayers have been answered!7

CajunKimby

Postby CajunKimby » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:55 am

To get this treatment, the doctor had to take me off Lithium. I am glad to report that my mood is remaining stable without it!

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:46 am

Thankyou Cajunkimby.

I look forward to reading more from you. You are an inspiration.

defeated

Postby defeated » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:34 am

Hey CajunKimby,

I'm so glad that ECT has been helping you feel better. :) I have been recommended it by my psychiatrist for quite sometime, I am still on the fence about it.

Have you noticed any memory loss at this time?

*hugs* to you and thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please keep us updated!

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”