Know Medical Details of Your Family Members

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

specter

Postby specter » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:53 pm

I know about [ ] that much of my family history details.

While I don't know a lot about my mostly-estranged family, I know the bare bones of my mother's health. (It's really bad.) On the other hand, a lot of the health issues she has are preventable and are not inherited, so since I focus on my nutrition and I try to take care of myself, I think I might be OK, on that end.

As for cancer, there isn't a lot of it in my 'family'. There is one type of cancer in my family, and there is only one person who has had that cancer. They easily had it removed through surgery. No chemo.

There is a possibly that I have colon cancer. This is a current issue. Severe, chronic constipation has been a symptom off and on in my life, but in the past year or so, it has gradually gotten so bad that I have to take stool softeners *and* drink coffee every single day in order to have any kind of bowl movement. It's absolutely necessary, or I will not pass stools. Not passing stools means I don't eat, and not eating means I become fatigued and malnourished.

My diet is wonderful. I eat plenty -- more than enough -- fresh vegetables. I plan on eating more smoothies with chai seeds, frozen fruit, almond milk, and coconut oil. My diet also includes fiber such as beans, whole grain pasta, and whole grain bread, and a little brown rice. I include omega-3 oils in my diet as well. My sources of fat are mostly through monounsaturated oils and vegan cheeses. Animal-based foods make me feel incredibly ill and I refuse to eat those types of foods.

I have a colonoscopy appointment on May 12th. Wish me luck.

specter

Postby specter » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:37 pm

:lol: Maybe it sounds serious? I don't know. I've been told that it's IBS, which seems nonsensical to me. The only symptoms I have are constipation and bloating -- that's all. IBS and IBD, I think, have a longer list of symptoms because they seem to involve both digestive tracts?

I don't really have a family, but thanks anyway.

defeated

Postby defeated » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:48 pm

Hey specter,

How did everything go with your exams?

viuuiuvy

Re:

Postby viuuiuvy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:12 pm

specter wrote:I know about [ ] that much of my family history details.

My diet is wonderful. I eat plenty -- more than enough -- fresh vegetables. I plan on eating more smoothies with chai seeds, frozen fruit, almond milk, and coconut oil. My diet also includes fiber such as beans, whole grain pasta, and whole grain bread, and a little brown rice. I include omega-3 oils in my diet as well. My sources of fat are mostly through monounsaturated oils and vegan cheeses. Animal-based foods make me feel incredibly ill and I refuse to eat those types of foods.

Good job on staying healthy. I have to eat healthy in order to function & it's nice knowing that there are others out there who eat healthy that have to watch out for certain things which run in the family.

Watch out for the booze though. Spend your money on food instead.

It's a choice also: spending money on healthy foods or spending money on video games, entertainment, etc.

Good luck :)

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”