It keeps getting the best of me...

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

RedRockLife

It keeps getting the best of me...

Postby RedRockLife » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:03 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I never thought about going onto a website to talk about my depression, but as of late I could use some help from people who have or are going through it too. I've had depression since I was a teen and I'm in my 30s now, it was only a couple of years ago when I started taking medication for it. That is where this has led me to here, I was on a couple of meds but on one I kept plateauing (as my doctor puts it). First off I'm very VERY self conscience about my weight, if I get too heavy I won't even let my wife touch me. So when depression hits me I end up binge eating really bad, and after upping the dose of my meds constantly we finally got it to where it seemed like all was good. I was exercising 5 days a week getting back into shape, just feeling fantastic. This last January the meds stop working all together sending me into a massive spiral and this time huge binge eating. We got me on new meds and so far it seems like things are getting better on how i feel. Except that I keep eating poorly and I can't get myself back to the gym, and at this point I think I have kind of given up, for years and years I have worked hard to get in shape and everytime I fall back and have to restart all my hard work. I guess after this time with the meds failing I felt like I'm never going to get to that state of physical heath that I want and I really feel like i've given up, because now not only do I have to gain back muscle, I have to lose 50 lbs that I have gained since January and i'm so tired of this start stop restart that I don't know if I could handle failure again. Anyone who has any advice or who has gone through this or is going through this I'd love to hear what has helped you, as I really need some help at this point, Thanks

Adam

PatioLounger

Postby PatioLounger » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:24 pm

Hey There!
I'm a newbie, also... From my experiences (and I've been fighting bipolar and severe depression since I was about 13 years old) being treated with meds, some of them can contribute to weight gain tremendously! Zoloft any Zyprexa are the WORST!!! Many SSRIs also tend to help the anxiety that a lot of people deal with in depression, yet leave us without the ability to experience much emotion at all. I went almost 10 years feeling much less depressed, but still miserable for lack of any joy in my life and also the inability to even cry.
It wasn't until I convinced my Psychiatrist that it was definitely time for a mood stabilizer that my life actually changed for the better. I was put on Topamax (on top of the SSRI Pristiq I have been taking for years, because it actually works for me, has no side effects and doesn't damage the liver or kidneys, as I am in stage 3 kidney failure) that I could laugh again, cry again, have real HOPE again... PLUS, I was able to drop the 60+ pounds that I had gained as a result of all the other cruddy SSRIs I had been given! 😜 (Topamax really shuts down the appetite, which is an AMAZING side effect, if you ask me! 👍)
Anyway - don't get discouraged!!! You've worked hard and lost the weight before. You can do it again!!! Just be sure that you aren't gaining BECAUSE of your meds, and if you are - maybe change to one that doesn't cause weight gain? Being overweight in itself can cause depression. Been there, done that! You'll be ok...
Just know that these forums are here for you to come on and vent your frustrations, without judgement! Just a bunch of caring people, all in the same boat as you are, struggling to get by...
I wish you many blessings, and hope that you will overcome all the obstacles in life that seem to stand in the way between you and your happiness!

catt02

Re: It keeps getting the best of me...

Postby catt02 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:43 pm

RedRockLife wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I never thought about going onto a website to talk about my depression, but as of late I could use some help from people who have or are going through it too. I've had depression since I was a teen and I'm in my 30s now, it was only a couple of years ago when I started taking medication for it. That is where this has led me to here, I was on a couple of meds but on one I kept plateauing (as my doctor puts it). First off I'm very VERY self conscience about my weight, if I get too heavy I won't even let my wife touch me. So when depression hits me I end up binge eating really bad, and after upping the dose of my meds constantly we finally got it to where it seemed like all was good. I was exercising 5 days a week getting back into shape, just feeling fantastic. This last January the meds stop working all together sending me into a massive spiral and this time huge binge eating. We got me on new meds and so far it seems like things are getting better on how i feel. Except that I keep eating poorly and I can't get myself back to the gym, and at this point I think I have kind of given up, for years and years I have worked hard to get in shape and everytime I fall back and have to restart all my hard work. I guess after this time with the meds failing I felt like I'm never going to get to that state of physical heath that I want and I really feel like i've given up, because now not only do I have to gain back muscle, I have to lose 50 lbs that I have gained since January and i'm so tired of this start stop restart that I don't know if I could handle failure again. Anyone who has any advice or who has gone through this or is going through this I'd love to hear what has helped you, as I really need some help at this point, Thanks

Adam

I'm about 40 lbs. over and go to the gym off/on depending on how depressed I am. I had to change my diet because I had heart surgery about 2 years ago. But I'm addicted to diet Coke and that keeps the weight from coming off. Now I eat quinoa salad and protein bars and I drink unsweetened tea. But I still sneak off to get my diet Coke now and then. At least I'm not gaining weight and I do still get to the gym most of the time. I admit I'm a food addict and dive in head first into a cheesecake. But my heart condition is serious. I'm a 56 yr. old guy.
Erich

ChristineJensen

Postby ChristineJensen » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:17 am

Go for guide fitness and then have a gym. What suits your health matters a lot.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”