Nightmares?

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

JovianHalo13

Nightmares?

Postby JovianHalo13 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:23 pm

I was just wondering if anyone else here suffers from nightmares? (that are not result of medications) i have them nearly every night, and much worse when i'm depressed. Anyone that relates?

hey-its-ok

Postby hey-its-ok » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:31 am

I don't Jovian, but when you do wake up from these, remember you are in my thoughts and prayers, and you should cuddle up to the person sleeping next to you and i hope this person can give you lots of hugs and kisses and reassurance...

JovianHalo13

Postby JovianHalo13 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:40 am

Thanks for your kind words. Unfortunately i am not able to sleep with my husband on nights when he must work the next day as i often wake him and cause him to lose sleep. He says he doesn't mind, but i feel badly when he must go to work tired. I've begun to avoid sleeping as much as possible for fear of falling back into these nightmares. Upon waking it only takes a moment or two before i realize that it was only a dream and everything/everyone is okay, but it still hurts, i still wake crying, and the pain stays with me sometimes for days. *shrugs* on the bright side not sleeping as much gives me time to do other things:)

hey-its-ok

Postby hey-its-ok » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:10 am

Oh you need your sleep... having not enough sleep will stress your body and mind up and probably cause more problems... the fact that the pain sometimes stays with you for days may mean that that dream is related to some sort of fear that you have or something in your life that you have not come to terms with or have not resolved.. facing and resolving this fear/problem may help with the nightmares.. well, my two cents worth... (((((((jovian))))))))

JovianHalo13

Postby JovianHalo13 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:22 am

Thank you ((((hugs)))) it means alot that you take the time to read and reply to things i've written. I know partly where the nightmares i have come from. As you said, from fears and issues i've yet to face or resolve, but i'm not sure what to do to face those fears or resolve those issues. i've tried speaking with my husband about the nightmares i have, but he doesn't understand how i can get so "worked up" over "just a bad dream".

i've tried thinking of good things, comforting things, and happy memories as i try to fall asleep, once in awhile it will work and the dream will start off great, but nearly always ends up turning just as horrific and painfully vivid as all the rest.

hey-its-ok

Postby hey-its-ok » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:26 am

You know Jovian, much as i like your poems and writings, much as i enjoy reading them, they tend to leave a trail of sadness and pain inside me after i read them... and this trail sometimes can last for a bit of time... if you focus your energy on such poems and think about it often, the impression of these poems will etch itself into your mind and will remain there, remain for the next few hours, throughout the night, maybe remain for the next few days even, and they will remind you of how sad and depressed life can be... that's why i suggested in one of the topics that you started, i suggested to going out for a movie and triple chocolate ice cream... sometimes just doing something else, and not focusing on these issues can lift your spirit and allow you to see further into the horrizon... spend less time focusing on these thoughts... :)

JovianHalo13

Postby JovianHalo13 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:31 am

am sorry my writing makes you said. And thanks but writing is the only way i'm able to express myself, if i were to hinder that the result would be much worse. I do go out, and do other things to distract myself, but thanks for the suggestion:)

hey-its-ok

Postby hey-its-ok » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:36 am

I just phoned up my doctor friend (he is a doctor from america) and asked him about nightmares and depression, unfortunately he told me that this is a topic he hates and he and his wife avoids this topic... but since he is a doctor he knows a little bit about this, he said that there are two types of nightmares, one has to do with ghost and things like that, and he is not sure how to handle that, but the other type of recurring nightmares have to do with something that happened in the past and the person has held on to and not let go. He said that sometimes, talking to someone about it, or writing it down, he said the brain processes information differently, and talking about it or writing it down can help to acknowledge the problem in the brain and help the brain let go, especially when we know that it is in the past and nothing can be changed... he did mention some drugs like those SSRI (selective seretonin reuptake inhibitor)... but he also said those drugs tend to make a person care less about what's happening around them...

JovianHalo13

Postby JovianHalo13 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:45 am

Thanks for the info:) though i rarely dream of ghosts or the like (when i do it's not that frightening) and the nightmares i have haven't anything to do with the past. it's more the future. What i think i need is just a way to tell my brain to "shut up" while i'm trying to sleep...lol:)

hey-its-ok

Postby hey-its-ok » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:24 pm

Hey look at this ... don't know if it helps:

"Some studies suggest humans who sleep in an East-West position have far shorter rapid eye movement or REM sleep cycles, in which dreams occur, compared with North-South sleepers who got more REM sleep."

i got this from the following news site:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080826/od_ ... sm_mammals

SoulInDespair

Postby SoulInDespair » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Just wanted to say I suffer from night terrors alot when I was younger....woke often crying or screaming....but I don't as much now as an adult. I don't have any words of wisdom to share but I just wanted you to know that I've been there and I can truly relate and sympathize with what you're going thru.

((((Hugs)))))

Emotional_77

Postby Emotional_77 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:48 pm

well not exactly nightmares but just really weird dreams or bloody ones too. Let's just say dreams that you wouldnt think one would of regularly every night.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”