Pie... No not really.

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Frame

Pie... No not really.

Postby Frame » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:13 am

I wrote this in a more depressing thread about thoughts and feelings. Thought it was good enough for it's own thread. Feel free to argue, mock, agree, digress,... Just comment; your input is appreciated.

I wrote:Stuff happens; and we feel about it. Maybe we feel strongly, maybe not. Maybe it feels good, maybe bad, or such.

We can't control that (not most people, not without years of guided training), that's how emotions work. But emotions only last a short while; some science says seconds, some science says minutes; but not very long. The reason an emotion (a feeling) lasts as long as it does, sometimes years (sometimes a lifetime), is because we keep poking it with our mind.

When something keeps us up at night; when we feel good (or bad) about something for a long time, it's not because the emotion won't go away. It's because we keep reliving the experience. We are thinking about something and the feeling comes along for the ride.

Now, it's true that it may be hard to stop thinking about something. And it may be even more difficult to stop feeling a certain way about something. But it's not impossible. It's very doable. It's really the only way to feel better. To feel good we must control our thoughts.

With a chemical, with a shrink, with blinders, or a media binge; or with hard work and determination, meditation and prayer, study and writing...

We can control our thoughts, and so we can control our feelings.

karolanne

Postby karolanne » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:59 am

Hi,

All makes sense to me. It's a hard work, a long term work.

Recently, I've heard someone I respect saying that we can chose to be sad or we can chose to be happy. This is not something easy for everyone. Some people need way lot more work to acheive that. But yes, it's possible.

K

CrazyLady17

Postby CrazyLady17 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:01 pm

^^^^ totally agree with above.

Frame

Postby Frame » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:09 pm

((((((((((Karolanne)))))))))))
Looks like your dug out of the snow.
Love your light house image by the way. I've never seen anything like it.

We have a storm coming our way today.

karolanne

Postby karolanne » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:10 pm

Hey Frame,

I though you blocked me. I created a post for you and you never replied... Look down there, it's called To Frame. lol

We have a very cold weather here...

take care

CrazyLady17

Postby CrazyLady17 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:10 pm

Got to admit it is pretty amazing :)

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”