Does your job make you miserable?

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Pilule

Does your job make you miserable?

Postby Pilule » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:32 pm

My job makes me miserable, it just add to the hopeless depression I'm in. Depression screws up your life enough that you have very limited options and have no choice but to take whatever comes by, which is usually a shitty job.

This summer I got two contract that I enjoyed doing. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed my work. It's been many, many years. I didn't have time to do anything else this summer but, this time, it didn't matter.

Usually, in the summer, I work a lot doing stuff I hate and I usually don't have time to take time off which ruins my summer.

Where I'm going with this is that it might be worth it, for some of us, to make the effort to get a job that we would enjoy more. It might help to lift the dark cloud that is always lurking above our head and we deserve it.

People like us who are stuck with menial jobs certainly deserve a cheer or two because it takes more courage from us than the regular Joe, considering that we are starting with this huge handicap.

Frame

Postby Frame » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:20 pm

I agree with so much of what you have said Pilule. The three main points I got are: that depression functions to narrow or remove options in our minds, which makes it difficult to excel at what we are good at, what interests us, leading to much of our lives being filled with work below our capabilities, leading to frustration, discouragement, and depression.

I don't want to sound elitist, but I do find the people struggling with depression tend to be of higher than average intelligence. Even if that's inaccurate, working below your own ambitions can lead to frustrations. People who I wouldn't expect to suggest I enjoy life have done just that, hard working serious people, because they believe, as you have said, that engaging in things that bring you joy can break the chain. With the chain broken we can engage more of our talents and develop insight into new options.

And that's never as easy as it seems; it takes determination, discipline, and risk; and joy; always joy. But it works. I do believe.

App

Postby App » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:47 am

Morning Pilile; So much of what Fame & ypurself
resonates with me.
Whilst I am fortunate to enjoy much of my work, there are parts of it
which can be quite unpleasant & which also depress me often.
A.

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”