Post - traumatic stress disorder..!!

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Livetolive

Post - traumatic stress disorder..!!

Postby Livetolive » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:12 am

My younger sister would get anxious about big things like exam results or moving away from home, ever since she was a child. But now, just leaving her bedroom to shower became so hard for her. Something isn't right. I discussed this with my parents, but they said she is okay, it was only my thoughts. But, I always had a feeling that something is not right with her.
A few days back, I found her attempting to suicide, and I was like what's going on! I tried to make her comfortable and asked her about what's wrong with her. I sadly realized that my sister is going through a hectic period. She went through a traumatic experience, a year ago and that descended her into a downward spiral of depression, severe anxiety and eventually started to have suicidal feelings. She was unable to get the trauma out of her head. She had severe flashbacks, have horrific night terrors and often go into a deep state of depression. I don't know how I can help her.
When I shared this with one of my friends, he asked me to read up on post-traumatic stress disorder. The information on PTSD was incredible. Reading it through, I realized it was my young sister. Without that information page, I would have never known what PTSD was.
So I'm thinking about taking her for an effective treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder in Toronto. However, before heading to this, I would like to know, what is the most effective treatment for PTSD? How can I assure we are on a healthy road to recovery? I would be very grateful for your thoughts on this.

Prycejosh1987

Re: Post - traumatic stress disorder..!!

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:31 am

Livetolive wrote:My younger sister would get anxious about big things like exam results or moving away from home, ever since she was a child. But now, just leaving her bedroom to shower became so hard for her. Something isn't right. I discussed this with my parents, but they said she is okay, it was only my thoughts. But, I always had a feeling that something is not right with her.
A few days back, I found her attempting to suicide, and I was like what's going on! I tried to make her comfortable and asked her about what's wrong with her. I sadly realized that my sister is going through a hectic period. She went through a traumatic experience, a year ago and that descended her into a downward spiral of depression, severe anxiety and eventually started to have suicidal feelings. She was unable to get the trauma out of her head. She had severe flashbacks, have horrific night terrors and often go into a deep state of depression. I don't know how I can help her.
When I shared this with one of my friends, he asked me to read up on post-traumatic stress disorder. The information on PTSD was incredible. Reading it through, I realized it was my young sister. Without that information page, I would have never known what PTSD was.
So I'm thinking about taking her for an effective treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder in Toronto. However, before heading to this, I would like to know, what is the most effective treatment for PTSD? How can I assure we are on a healthy road to recovery? I would be very grateful for your thoughts on this.

Tell your sister to be strong, because past issues are having an effect on her. Just continue to be supportive and show her love. You really need to get the parents involved and let them see the light. Display the seriousness of the situation to your parents. Families get through issues together, it will bring more closeness, and etc to a family. Take her (your sister) to see therapist or counsellor. Take it from there, and good luck.

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”