An evening that went very bad

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

BrokenPen

Re: An evening that went very bad

Postby BrokenPen » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:45 pm

Thank you everyone for all your advice. Just wish I had your calm when things took an extra worse inch last night.

We got into another argument after she fell into another bad bout. It started with her despairing over getting home. You see she takes the bus since she doesn't drive. But after getting home she started to spiral downward into despair. Then she turned inward thinking about how much of a loser she is and that she doesn't deserve anything. That was when it was turned towards me in that she wanted me out of her life. I refused because I want to stay to help her and that's when she said, "Am I going to have to do this to get you away from?" And she slapped me and even started hitting me with closed fists against my chest. It all ended when she said that I was "weak", "stupid", "spineless" and that I needed to "be a man", "grow up" and "grow a pair" and then she started hitting me with a pillow saying that I'm a masochist because I just stand there and take whatever she says at me. Finally, I had lost my cool and grabbed the pillow and threw it down and started yelling. Something which I don't do and never really done.

Prycejosh1987

Re: An evening that went very bad

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:37 am

BrokenPen wrote:Some of you may know my previous posts talking about how my girlfriend suffers from Bipolar Depression. Well, recently, things took a pretty bad turn.

She always wanted to be in software development. But she can't get the funds together because she already has student debt. So she found this program with this company called "intraedge" but she's having such a difficult time with it, thus the reason for my forum post. And things escalated to the point where she was so down on herself that she had a breakdown. Then that quickly turned to anger where she was saying how much of a loser she is and that she's worthless. And she demanded that I say that to her otherwise I'm too weak for her. Finally, it ended with her leaving the room and coming back with pillows and a blanket and throwing them on the couch and saying, "until you say that I am a loser and worthless, you can stay out here on the couch."

Sitting out in the living area and thinking about how bad I messed up I couldn't help but look at my phone and how a text she sent read, "You really are weak."

Now, I don't know what to do.

Do not tell her shes worthless and a loser. It would cheer her up in the moment but affect her and your relationship with her in the long run. She is not a loser, just because she struggled to get funding. I would not advise it but there are other things she could do, such as get another job and raise the money up over time. She should speak to her bank to see options. It really depends on how much funding she needs. You can be reassuring with out sounding patronising. Overcome evil with love and support.

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”