Why did you have kids?

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Pilule

Why did you have kids?

Postby Pilule » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:29 am

For those of you who have kids, why did you?

Me, when I started to be depressed at around 16, I swore I would never have kids. I thought that if my kid suffered from depression, like me, I could never live with myself, and the possibility were quite high since my father suffered from depression. All my life, I was haunted by getting a girl pregnant, which would be even worse. Luckily for me, I didn't have that many girls.

The second reason I didn't want kids was because the possibility of me ending my life was quite high, I didn't want to leave this kid without a father.

Frame

Postby Frame » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:50 am

If I understood the reality of my struggle with depression, I would have had a more monk-like life. That was where my life was going anyway. I have always cherished my solitude. There are many important careers that make raising children all but impossible.

But I didn't know, no one around me knew, my differences we not something I would grow out of. And by many measures I was succeeding. I'm bright and learned many compensating techniques, which obscured my fundamental issues. I got on a standard, positive, hopeful career track and bludgeoned my way through. And there, in the middle of that path, was fatherhood. It's all about the same amount of pleasure and pain. If I was raised in a more open minded family things might have been very different.

I don't regret the life I've lived or the choices I've made. There's not much more to say.

Pilule

Postby Pilule » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:26 pm

I wish I would have been able to develop compensating techniques. I always thought that if I could find a job that I liked, it would fix everything but it didn't happen. I don't know if it didn't happen because I was too depressed or if I just didn't find job that would relieve my depression, I'll never know.

A friend of mine, built a printing business from the ground up. He started when his four kids were teenagers and built his business to be the biggest of it's kind, for a while, in Canada. He was an eternal optimist. I've always wonder how come he was so optimist, his younger years were pretty tough, his father died when he was 2 and his mother never remarried.

karolanne

Postby karolanne » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Hello,

I didn't have kids.

I suffer from depression and mental illness since I'm a child. I always told to myself that I can't take care of a child the way I feel. Once, I was deeply in love and I wanted a kid. I asked my doctor about being pregnant and all the medication I take. He honestly told me that in my situation, having a kid isn't the right decision. He made me thing about it twice and then, I never had a kid.

I have 2 dogs and those are my babies. lol That how I compensate. ♥

Take care.

Pilule

Postby Pilule » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:00 pm

Karolanne,

If I was a woman I would definitively not get pregnant while I was on anti-depressant.

I don't know if you've seen all the adds, on TV, about lawyers suing the pharmaceutical companies, that makes all the popular anti-depressant, for children born with birth defect while her mother was on anti-depressant.

And they are all there; Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Xanax plus probably a dozen more of the most popular ones.

karolanne

Postby karolanne » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:16 am

Pilule,

I didn't intend to be pregnant while on anti-depressant. I asked my doctor about quiting all the medication the time to have a baby.

But that is a story of the past. It happened a long time ago.

Pilule

Postby Pilule » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:28 am

I can't imagine a woman being pregnant while off anti-depressant, it must be total hell.

Frame

Postby Frame » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:14 am

By being successful parents, we change the world in a positive way and live on after we are gone from the earth.

In many ways, children are one way we strive for immortality. But there are many ways we can strive to change the world for ever and thus become immortal. That may also be why so many unstable people eventually become known as artists, or scientists, or politicians (or cult leaders, or tyrants, terrorists). We can still leave our mark on the world even if were not cut out to raise a family.

We could think the job makes them crazy, but I have a sense that instead it may be: crazy makes the job.

Pilule

Postby Pilule » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:29 pm

Well it looks that I'm not going to leave my mark in any form of way whatsoever.

I will have gone trough life for absolutely no purpose at all.

Something else to be depressed about...

fallen

Postby fallen » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:06 pm

if you show kindness to one person, it is like a domino effect, that kindness is passed on from one person then to the next.
your first kindness could ripple across a continent, through a generation.
take care

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”