How do I help my boyfriend understand my depression?

Depression/anxiety may have touched your family, your friends, yourself; what helps you to deal with it? Sharing is caring!

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

azalea

How do I help my boyfriend understand my depression?

Postby azalea » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:12 pm

My boyfriend does not understand depression or anxiety. He doesn't know what to say and how to be supportive. He isn't a bad or even mean person. He's had a very charmed life and doesn't understand why I feel like I do or thinks it's because of him. We've been together for over 6 years and I'm struggling right now and I really need him but he doesn't understand how to be there for me.

Hayzell

Postby Hayzell » Tue May 01, 2012 4:13 pm

I totally agree that when someone hasn't experienced depression or anxiety it can be very difficult to understand why it's there and how they can try to help without making it worse. Your boyfriend sounds like a good guy - with a bit more understanding of your difficulties he might find it easier to support you through this.

How about writing down your feelings for him to read? I'm not saying one letter can sum up everything you're experiencing, but it could give him a little insight into what you're going through and some of the ways you would like him to be there for you. You could point him to this forum, there is a section for friends and relatives that he might also find helpful. :)

Return to “Family and Friends of People Living with Depression”