Hello

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

crybaby1086

Hello

Postby crybaby1086 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi Everyone, I'm not really sure what to put here. So I'll just tell you a little about myself to get started. I have suffered from depression for a long time. I can rember being a small child and crying for no particular reason. It has since gotten a lot worse. I have been on medication in the past and did see a thereapist. After about four or five sessions he basically said I was cured. I tend to disagree. I still have a lot of issues and don't have the first clue as fix them. I recently started back on anti-depressiants the only thing they seem to be doing is making me feel tired. I do have an appt. with my doctor tomorrow to see if I can get an appt. with another therapist. Although I'm really not sure anyone can help me!

xn728

hello

Postby xn728 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:08 am

hello cry baby ,welcome to the forum ,please feel free to talk on here there are many nice people,here ,,welcome hope you find what your looking for ,goodd luck with you apointment ,,,welcome home ,,xn728

lisalou

Postby lisalou » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:33 am

hiya crybaby, glad you,ve joined, hope this website can be of help to you. anti depressants can take weeks to kick in and all you notice at first is side effects (like you being tired) which medication are you on? i hope you have more success with your new therapist. i am in the same boat, waiting to be referred to someone else, it can feel like a bit of a merry go round but eventually you find something that helps. coming here is a good start! good luck!

love lisa (28, brighton, uk)

Mich

Postby Mich » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:12 am

Welcome! You will find nice people and lots of support here.

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:59 am

Hi & welcome...! I just wanted to say please don't give up in your quest to get the help you think you need.

Keep switching until you find the right doctor/therapist for you. We most times know ourselves better than any one else.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:08 am

(((((((((((((( crybaby ))))))))))))))))

Hello and welcome to the forums. Good support here from others that deal with similar situations and depression.

Keep seeking, sometimes it takes a trial and error period to find a doctor that is right for you, one you are comfortable with. I have found that to be true.

Keep posting and take care.

Warmie

shatteredhopes

Welcome

Postby shatteredhopes » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:38 am

As others stated, sometimes anti-depressants take time to work, and if it doesn't help, there are plenty of others on the market to try. Unfortunately, medication is not an exact science and often different things work for different people. Sometimes you have to try different ones, or find a combination that works well with your chemistry. Some have side effects in some, but not in others. Just don't give up hope!

Good for you for taking the bull by the horns and seeking help. That therapist who said you were cured didn't have to live in your skin and head and was able at the end of the day to go home, have a glass of wine with their family, and not feel what you were feeling. Some therapists are better than others, too. But getting a recommendation from someone you trust is a great start!

I found it works best when the care provider acts as a partner, and I have to be assertive in talking about how I'm feeling, what I need, and what I don't like...they can't read our minds and the mental health profession is not like surgery where it can be totally objectively practiced...they need our input.

SO BE PROUD OF YOURSELF FOR SEEKING HELP! And welcome to the site!

crybaby1086

Thank you...

Postby crybaby1086 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:44 am

Thanks everyone for your kind words and warm welcome. I look forward to reading more about your stories and telling you more about myself. I'm afraid it may take awhile to get it all out!

xn728

its ok

Postby xn728 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:39 pm

thats fine crybaby 1086,take all the time you need ,someone will be here to listen ,and you will never feel alone here ,share when your ready ,i hope you find what your looking for ,and i will leave my best wishes with you! ,welcome home ,xn728,

crybaby1086

Update

Postby crybaby1086 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:26 pm

I had my appt. today with my doctor. It went well. He has increased my meds. I am currently taking 40mg of Citalopram (Celexa) which will be now uped to 80mg. He is also making an appt for me with a therapist. The only problem being it usually takes a while to get an appt. It could be atleast a month! In the meantime I called my riding coach (totally obsessed with horses) and made an appt for a private lesson. She has a masters degree in social work and has over 30 years experience dealing with people who suffer from mental illness. I have never mentioned my problems to her before, but she is someone I can totally trust. I haven't been riding for awhile and when I called I filled her in on a little bit of why. I am looking forward to spending some time with her and the horses next week. :D

Monty

Postby Monty » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:14 am

Welcome to our forum family.

Sounds like you will fit in well.

Glad that you were able to connect again with your riding coach. Sounds like she might be able to help you along the journey.

Like most things in life, not all therapists are created equal. Good on you for figuring out that your first therapist was not a good fit, and then talked to your doctor is has made an appointment for you with someone who hopefully, will be a better match for you.

Again welcome.

When you are ready, looking forward to learning more about you.

lisalou

Postby lisalou » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:37 am

I am so glad you have something to look forward to and someone who understands you. horses are wonderful creatures and i hope it gives you a feeling of freedom and empowerment when you ride again! it has been proven that time spent with animals helps depression

crybaby1086

Postby crybaby1086 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:40 pm

Yes, animals are wonderful. I have two ponies at home, a couple of goats, cats and a dog! And while it is a lot of work and very disheartening when you have to shovel your way to the barn at 7a.m in the winder months. It always brings a smile to my face when I open the barn door and see their faces.
I'm also glad I have my coach. I don't know why I never thought of talking to her earlier. I guess I wasn't really sure what her job was. But when I saw her company name under mental health services it clicked. So I guess the time wasn't right and now is finaly is!

Tink

CRYBABY

Postby Tink » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:46 pm

[ Please proceed with caution when it comes to medication. You need to journal your feelings, if there are specific triggers.
Depression is such a complex disease that every detail you can provide to a physician matters. It takes medication time to get into your system then it may or may not help.
In the mean time talking to ae av therapist will break down the barriers to get to the root of what is contributing to these feelings. You have to be proactive in treating depression it is not the same in everyone.

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:23 am

Hi there Tink! I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. ^_^

Return to “New Member Introductions”