Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Lillylil3

i'm new

Postby Lillylil3 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:32 am

Hey i suffer with depression, I'm always giving up and im Lilly

Akiko25

Re: i'm new

Postby Akiko25 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:26 am

Hello, Lilly. I am new here as well. I was diagnosed with depression more than 12 years ago. Been on meds off and on, psychotherapy, etc.. something i am now starting to realize/accept is that it will never really go away. The best i can hope to do is manage it so it doesn’t ruin anymore of my life than it already has. It’s a day to day struggle for me, and some days are better than others. People i talk to try to understand, but I don’t think they get it.. which is why i suppose, I’m here.. to talk to people who are going through the same thing. Please don’t give up. Let me know how you are doing now.

Coleyshan01

Re:I’m new

Postby Coleyshan01 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:52 pm

I am also new here, my name is Shannon. Been dealing with depression on my life, it got much worse when I lost my son, he was my only child. Been hospitalized back in April 2021, just wanted it all to end. My quality of life seems like it’s at zero, I live alone and with it being Christmas I’m really struggling.

FightToLive

Postby FightToLive » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:44 pm

Hi, I am new here to. I'm Magda. I came on here to help myself and to see how i can help my loved one who is having a really difficult time as well. Akiko25, is there anything in particular that you do to help get you through the day.

My loved one is expressing that sometimes he has urges, when do I get his family involved, do i? I don't want to over step or lose his trust but I'm worried about him and need to know how to help them. What do I do?

Akiko25

Postby Akiko25 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:20 pm

Hello, Magda. Sorry, it’s been a while since i visited the forum. I only just read your message. The holidays have been tough for me -I live alone, you see.

What motivates me to get out of bed in the morning - and yes, there are days when I wish I could just stay there for good.. are my pets. I have dogs and cats waiting for their breakfast so whether I feel like it or not, I had to get up and see to them. I try to focus on steps I need to do, as in literally: how many scoops? who gets which supplement? where’s the leash? This focus is important because negative things could fill my head otherwise, and convince me to go back to bed.

After walking the dogs and getting a bit of sun, I usually start feeling a little better.. then, I’d line up some more things to do. I tell myself “things need to get done, feel depressed/anxious later”. And if I still feel low after all these activities, I tell myself “it’s ok, you did good; you got the laundry done, etc. now what else needs doing?” The challenge is in sustaining this mindset for the entire day. Admittedly, there are too many days when I feel so low that after seeing to my pets, I still go back to bed to hide from life. When next I open my eyes I would become so angry and disgusted with myself - “another day wasted!”, “so lazy, etc. etc.” Now, I am learning to forgive myself and to just say “harping on about it is not going to help any, just get up and try to do better today”. As you can see, I am a work in progress.

About your loved one.. well, the positive thing I see there is that he is at least talking to someone. However, his having suicidal thoughts is too big for you to handle all on your own. If he is not comfortable talking to his family, will he consider getting professional help directly? If he’s not ready to do that yet, perhaps you can introduce him to this site. He can join the chat rooms and get peer support at the very least.

Be well, Magda. I am hoping better days for your friend, too.

Return to “New Member Introductions”