Hello

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

SteveL

Hello

Postby SteveL » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi everyone, glad I found this site!

I’m 53 and have had bouts of mild depression most of my life, but nothing that ever kept me from school or work, and nothing that challenged my sense of hope. 6 weeks ago I had knee replacement surgery that had some complications and recovery is slow. I can deal with the rehab and physical pain. The larger struggle has been anxiety and depression on a much deeper level. Have periods where it’s hard to maintain hope. I did tell my doc and started on an anti-depressant and I know it will take a few weeks to take effect. I’ve had a lot of therapy so I don’t think I’m going to add that right now. I think I mostly need to connect with others. I’ve experienced mild depression before but nothing like this. I meditate and do deep breathing and lots of positive self talk. But with this level of depression those coping skills at times get lost in a dark cloud that fills my mind in waves. Thankfully the waves subside but it’s hard to maintain hope when the waves hit.

Anyway, I appreciate the support and wish you all peace of mind.

Steve

athena.vhd

Re: Hello

Postby athena.vhd » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:08 pm

hello stevel.welcome here!
im so happy that u agree to go to therapy or take medicine because a lot of people like my dad dont even want to take a step forward and this spirit of urs makes situation so much better to get a full recovery.
hope u get better soon as u made me feel better with ur beautiful pray :D

Spleefy

Postby Spleefy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:10 am

Hi Steve,

I hope you’ll be able to connect with people on here.

Like you, I think we all find it hard to remain positive consistently. I was seldom positive when I had depression—it just wouldn’t let me. No matter how hard I tried, negative, self-defeating and self-destructive thoughts kept circulating in my mind.

It wasn’t until my neurochemistry was rebalanced that my thoughts was more to that of a healthy functioning mind. It was liberating, that’s for sure. To feel the normal emotions of sadness, grief, happiness and joy was exhilarating, as I have never truly felt those emotions before—depression hijacked my thinking and numbed me of experiencing normal, healthy emotions.

My psychologist had me do deep breathing. Again, at the time, it had little effect. I can see why people with depression struggle so much to remain positive and hopeful. As I said, in my case I needed to rebalance my biochemistry before anything else would work. So hopefully the medication, when it kicks in, will give you some relief so you will be more receptive to other forms of treatment and self-help coping strategies.

Thanks for sharing a bit about how depression is affecting you. We all share a common bundle of symptoms associated with depression, but our experiences and how we cope with it varies. I think a forum such as this is a great place to connect with others, to share our experiences, to share tips and suggestions, and to learn and grow together towards overcoming depression.

Chimpulous2

Postby Chimpulous2 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:50 pm

Hey Steve, hope you feel better soon, is there any reason behind the depression worsening or do you think its a chemical thing? I am currently going through depression but i'm glad i can talk to people on here. Anyway just wanted to welcome you. :)

littlestarsmum

Postby littlestarsmum » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:54 am

Welcome aboard, Steve. I’m sorry to hear what you’re going through. I know how painful it must be for you. It’s good you’re getting help. Please don’t get stressed out. Take a deep breath, listen to good music to stay calm and be relaxed. I just said a prayer for you, and I hope that God will surround you with His comfort, strength, and peace. Hope everything goes well with you. Sending prayers & wishing you well!

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:40 am

SteveL wrote:Hi everyone, glad I found this site!

I’m 53 and have had bouts of mild depression most of my life, but nothing that ever kept me from school or work, and nothing that challenged my sense of hope. 6 weeks ago I had knee replacement surgery that had some complications and recovery is slow. I can deal with the rehab and physical pain. The larger struggle has been anxiety and depression on a much deeper level. Have periods where it’s hard to maintain hope. I did tell my doc and started on an anti-depressant and I know it will take a few weeks to take effect. I’ve had a lot of therapy so I don’t think I’m going to add that right now. I think I mostly need to connect with others. I’ve experienced mild depression before but nothing like this. I meditate and do deep breathing and lots of positive self talk. But with this level of depression those coping skills at times get lost in a dark cloud that fills my mind in waves. Thankfully the waves subside but it’s hard to maintain hope when the waves hit.

Anyway, I appreciate the support and wish you all peace of mind.

Steve

You are taking steps and doing things that are good. Like positive talk, and deep breathing. You need to believe that what you are doing is having an effect on you. Think about why you are depressed and combat it with the things you do. There is a positive to every negative in this life.

Return to “New Member Introductions”