1st post

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

u@93

1st post

Postby u@93 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:55 am

Hello, this is the first time I'm posting on any forum. I'm 26, from India. I've had depression for over a year now. Tried keeping myself busy, pushed myself to meet new people, make new friends (I'm an introvert) but sometimes it feels like a complete waste. Even though I tried, I wasn't content or happy about it. I still feel lost and hopeless. I fail to connect with people I meet, and my friends don't seem to care enough too. I need help!

Spleefy

Re: 1st post

Postby Spleefy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:00 am

Hi u@93,

As an introvert myself, I understand the social challenges we face.

It is never a waste of time. We are social creatures and meant to have connections.

Why do you think your friends don’t care?

Where have you been trying to meet people? It can make a huge difference where you meet people. What about joining a club? You’ll meet people with similar interests, which will make it much easier to build a connection.

So what do you think it was that made you discontent with the people you met?

Keep on trying. There are many interesting people in the world that you will meet. Just keep putting yourself out there and it will be only a matter of time.

Do you know the type of people you want to meet? What type of associations do you want to keep? If you have an idea of the type of friends you want to surround yourself with, then you can start planning on where to go to meet such people. If you like antiques, for example, then go to an antique store and strike conversations about antiques. If you like painting, same thing. Sports… you got!

If you go to a place of common interests, that makes a good conversation starter. For example, I go to the local New and Used store, especially looking for vintage furniture, ornaments, and many other things. I’ll grab a coffee for myself and a lady that works there and we’ll chat for hours. I also strike conversations with the customers because the store is an easy conversation starter.

Funny story… I often get people thinking that I work there. The other day, this customer and I was chatting. After a while, we were talking about some items she was interested in, as she just moved to the area and wanted something for the house. She asked me if I could reach the item on the wall for her. When I handed it to her, she handed me money. I said, “what’s that for?” I thought she was paying me for grabbing the item for her :lol: It turns out she thought I worked there. When I told her I didn’t, we both started cracking up. This ended up going into other conversations and having a good laugh, even well after about other things.

The point is, if you keep putting yourself out there, then at the right place and right time, you’ll be bound to meet people you connect with that can end up as friendships.

For now, you can always find friends on here that you can possibly connect with. Although, online friends shouldn’t be a replacement for finding offline friends, as some people have the custom.

kevinloveslena

Postby kevinloveslena » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:18 am

Hello u@93,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting! I am sorry that you are struggling with depression. I know how difficult it is as I have also been walking through this deep, dark valley of depression for several years now and don't wish it on anyone! What has really helped me more than anything has been developing a relationship with Christ and reading/meditating on His Word. The book that has had the greatest impact on my life (after John) is the Book of Psalms.

One of my favorite Chapters that helps with my depression is in Psalms 91:

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, You are my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust!
Surely He will save me from the Fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover me with His feathers, and under His wings will I find refuge;
His faithfulness will be my shield and rampart.
I will not fear the terror of the night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand my fall at my side, ten thousand at my right hand,
but it will not come near me.
I will only observe with my eyes and see the punishment of the wicked."

I wish you the best and will be praying for you.

God bless you.

j2415

Postby j2415 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:48 am

Hello u@93,
Welcome to the forum! I hope through this group you will be uplifted and less lonely.
Whenever I am sad, I meditate on this Bible verse, it really helps a lot.

“Why am I discouraged?
Why is my heart so sad?
I will put my hope in God!
I will praise him again—
my Savior and my God!”
(Psalm 42:11)

I pray for God’s peace and healing be upon you. Please stay strong. I used to be an introvert many years ago but through prayers and encouragement of my life group, I overcame. Try to surround yourself with people who will inspire you and pray with you. Connect with your local church and join a group. I hope things will go well with you. Keep us posted. You are in my prayers. Take care.

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:46 am

u@93 wrote:Hello, this is the first time I'm posting on any forum. I'm 26, from India. I've had depression for over a year now. Tried keeping myself busy, pushed myself to meet new people, make new friends (I'm an introvert) but sometimes it feels like a complete waste. Even though I tried, I wasn't content or happy about it. I still feel lost and hopeless. I fail to connect with people I meet, and my friends don't seem to care enough too. I need help!

Your doing a good thing to combat your insecurity. Making friends is good. Trust takes time. Communication is effective when you are honest with yourself and to others.

Return to “New Member Introductions”