I am new

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Filipa

I am new

Postby Filipa » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:20 am

Hello
My name is Filipa, I am 26 and Portuguese, and I suffer from depression for several years, having a diagnostic for 4 years now.
I usually take Fluoxetine, around 40 MG, and Bromazepam in large doses. I started with 20 (one pill), went to 40, went back to 20 again and let the pills for more than a year. After that I got unemployed and got back on pills, taking 2 pills at day (40 milligrams), even after I got a new job.
Last night I was in the end of the tunnel, I actually thought about more than just hurting myself... And I am here for help. I have a boyfriend, a loving family, a psychologist, pills, but nothing is really helping me... I feel alone, I cannot talk with anyone, my friends are away and I barely call them friends anymore, I cannot do this to my family after everything that they went through with me, and my therapist is not hemping that much. My boyfriend is the cause of my thoughts.
I just need help, maybe a friend, or at least someone that listens to me knowing what it is like when you suffer from depression.

sunandbutterflies

Re: I am new

Postby sunandbutterflies » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:01 am

Welcome to the forums. I would encourage you to speak with the person that is prescribing your medication. Make sure that you keep them informed on how you are feeling, how taking medication is going, and other struggles that you may be having. Are you seeing a licensed counselor? They may be able to help you sort through things as well.
If you feel that you are in crisis, don't be afraid to call the suicide prevention line, text the crisis text line (741741), or call 911. You can get through this. Hopefully, this forum will be one of the tools in your support system.

Superpunk

Postby Superpunk » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi there,

I'm Sophie from the Netherlands. May I ask why is your boyfriend the cause of your thoughts? Or would you rather tell me in private?

Spleefy

Postby Spleefy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:30 pm

Hi Filipa,

Don’t give up hope, you will find something that works. I had to try dozens upon dozens of strategies and over ten years just to find what works for me!

I have seen youth workers, a psychologist, psychiastrists, doctors, a therapist, and counsellors. I even had a psychologist and therapist same time. I would see the psychologist and sometimes meet the therapist at the cafe same day. I have been on meds, natural therapies, scores of self-help books and vids… you name it! The only thing it did was to give me short-lived motivation at best, with possibly some shimmer of hope, which didn’t last long when reality kicked in and my mind was hijacked by depression once again.

I am certainly grateful to my psychologist and therapist because they tried. They actually taught me many things that, at the time, was ineffective because of the depression. As ironic as it sounds, it was only effective after I cured myself of depression. Now that I don’t have depression, I remember the coping strategies well and so I can apply them in my own life as a preventative measure. However, while I still do utilize what I learnt from them, I rely mostly on the Bible and Jehovah God now. God's wisdom is far superior to man's imperfect philosophy and wisdom, so I find more value in that.

The point is, you have yet to explore more options to find what will work and won’t work.

If it is feasible, have you thought about seeing another therapist? Not all therapists will be compatible with you. It is much like a relationship—we are not compatible with everyone. So if possible, see a few to find out which one you connect with.

There is a biochemical component to depression that needs to be addressed hence the meds. I would look into eating foods that will naturally rebalance the chemical imbalance, such as dopamine and serotonin in your brain. I dosed myself up with omega-3 by eating fish everyday, sometimes twice a day. I was on high from it! lol

Flood your body with nutrients by eating nutrient-rich foods such as fruit, vegetables, fish, eggs, lentils, nuts and seeds. Keep the simple sugars out of your diet, as sugar wreaks havoc and throws our brain chemicals out of whack. Caffeine from coffee is also not ideal, since it is too stimulating, causing unnecessary and unwanted highs and lows. Right now you need stability in your brain, not chaos.

These are just ideas and suggestions. I’m not a doctor, so don’t take this as medical advice. It is best to do your own research and homework on these things. It just some of the things I did when I had severe clinical depression and anxiety and was able to cure myself within months with such strategies.

The thing is, a healthy diet and regular exercise is a must for health. So even with therapy and meds, you still need to eat healthy and exercise, both of which will naturally rebalance your mind and body.

It is good that you reached out. If you ever need to talk, there are people on here that will. And maybe you can talk to your family? I'm sure your family love you and will do anything for their daughter. I know I would if i was a parent--I would stop at nothing to help my child through their dark times. I'm sure you parents will feel the same for you!

Look after yourself. Things will get better, just give it time. Take one day at a time and set small, achievable goals each day. Find the strength and determination within to rise above depression.

Laura93

Postby Laura93 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:23 pm

Hello Filipa,
I can understand what you're talking about.
Lately I found myself thinking about suicide more often, because I just feel useless and nobody can help me.
I'm also 26 and from a foreign country (Italy), so I know your loneliness feeling, even if I didn't have any friends also in Italy.
If you need someone to talk with, please don't esitate to contact me even in private if you prefer.
Sometimes just knowing someone in your same situation can help a lot.

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:55 am

Filipa wrote:Hello
My name is Filipa, I am 26 and Portuguese, and I suffer from depression for several years, having a diagnostic for 4 years now.
I usually take Fluoxetine, around 40 MG, and Bromazepam in large doses. I started with 20 (one pill), went to 40, went back to 20 again and let the pills for more than a year. After that I got unemployed and got back on pills, taking 2 pills at day (40 milligrams), even after I got a new job.
Last night I was in the end of the tunnel, I actually thought about more than just hurting myself... And I am here for help. I have a boyfriend, a loving family, a psychologist, pills, but nothing is really helping me... I feel alone, I cannot talk with anyone, my friends are away and I barely call them friends anymore, I cannot do this to my family after everything that they went through with me, and my therapist is not hemping that much. My boyfriend is the cause of my thoughts.
I just need help, maybe a friend, or at least someone that listens to me knowing what it is like when you suffer from depression.

You have a family and a boyfriend. Talk to them about your issues, and they will support you. You have people around you, take advantage of that. Dont let bad situations get you down, but keep pressing forward.

Return to “New Member Introductions”