Need a friend to talk to

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

indigoangel

Need a friend to talk to

Postby indigoangel » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Help everyone. Im 26 from johannesburg South Africa and I suffer from social anxiety and it has led me to live a very depressed life. Of course none of this is visible to my family, everyone thinks I love isolating myself and I've heard some " u think you better than everyone else" comments more than I'd like to disclose. My cousin once said that i have the biggest heart. I dont necessarily like to be around a lot of people but I'm human and it bothers me that I cant make friends even though im a very caring person. I sometimes make friends in my head and imagine all the things we could do together. This drives me more and more into my depression. I would like something real, I just don't know how to go about it. My trust in people is very fragile and even though I think I'm forgiving, people around me have told me to learn to let things go. Meeting new people is the hardest thing unless I drink something for the nerves, that's how I met my exes and all of them were convinced I had a drinking problem. But I don't, I hate most alcoholic drinks but my anxiety is greater than any of my feelings. I used to break down in tears begging God to make me normal just like everyone else... its good to know that and I'm not alone :)

nanacarol

Re: Need a friend to talk to

Postby nanacarol » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi; I'm so glad you have posted here! No, you are not alone. My youngest, when she was pregnant at 17 had issues with social anxiety. I personally don't know how it feels but I do know that it is real. Very real. Since she was pregnant meds were really not an option and she went through counseling. She would do fine going to her doctors because most in the waiting room understood. The problem was getting her started and in with a doctor. Here is an article that has a phone number you can call so you don't have to go out to take a step toward being happy and finding joy. http://bit.ly/2jKHSJT
As for what others think and say. Words do hurt. Words can wound. It was easy when we were kids and another kid would say "your a snob"
and we knew it wasn't true and we would just say "so". When you are ready to venture out to seek new friends, would it help to start with a small group at a local church? Maybe you could call around and ask different churches what types of groups they have and choose one that you thought would interest you and where you would feel comfortable. This is like I said , when YOU are ready.
You said you have prayed for God to make you normal. I'm here to tell you God made you exactly the way HE needed you to be.
Jeremiah 1: Tells us HE knew us before he ever created us and Jeremiah 29:11 tells us HE knows HE has the plans for us. That includes you.
You can find your way to joy and happiness and I will be cheering you on!

sunnysidedown89

Postby sunnysidedown89 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:46 pm

just posting to give you a big hug!

it sucks you're going through this and that your support group is making you feel even more alienated than you already feel.

<3

Helloraspberries1

Postby Helloraspberries1 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:34 am

Hi there, sounds like things are tough at the moment. I don't know what's it like right now feeling the way you do but well done for responding here.

Yeah I know what you mean by making friends really hard. There's no easy way to or speed the process quickly. Has to come from us and only us can do it.

I don't know if you are also losing interest in doing things but i know that can also trigger you to not make friends too.

Right now I think you need to be in your element and make the steps you need to reach your goals for life. I don't know what help or incouragment you need but I would start off by talking first to someone.

I think you need to be happy in yourself before you do the things you wanna do. Remember it's little steps and not big ones.

Please keep talking to us

Return to “New Member Introductions”