i'm new and i'm really happy i found this today...

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

andrea

i'm new and i'm really happy i found this today...

Postby andrea » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:09 pm

hi,
my name's andrea and today's my 18th birthday. i've been dealing with depression for about 5-6 years now, and in the last few months it's gotten alot worse. just last night, i got into a huge fight with my best friend, and she told me she thinks i'm pretending to be depressed for attention. i thought she of all people would understand me, and that i need to talk about what's going on with me since i can't deal with this alone. but she got incredibly angry and says that i use her as an emotional crutch. i'm sorry. i can't talk about it to most of my friends..i just feel so hopeless and lost. i'm unmotivated to do anything. i'm supposed to be typing a 5 page paper and i don't care about it. i don't feel like going to school or hanging out with people. i don't like being alone, but i feel better that way nowadays. i have horrible sudden mood swings and when my depression was really bad for awhile a couple of years ago like it is now, i lost a friend that was family to me. i'm terrified it's happening again..i did go to the doctor's today, and i'm going to be starting a 30 day trial of celexa, i believe it is. i'm just really scared.

as for me, i'm a freshman in college, and i love music, shows, movies and theatre, the beach, and getting to meet people. sorry for the lame introduction, but that's what's going on right now. spending my birthday alone doing homework.

Chrissy

Postby Chrissy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:11 am

Hi Andrea, I'm Christine!

Happy Birthday!!!! 18, that's awesome!.. I'm 19.

I can relate to so much of what you said. I'm here if you need to talk!

Hope you have a great day.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:31 am

Hi and welcome andrea. Hope to see you joining the chat room as well. Lots of nice chatters there that deal with depression and gives good support to others.

Happy Belated Birthday!!

Warmie 8)

Emotional_77

Postby Emotional_77 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:37 pm

Happy Belated Birthday hun and welcome to the site :)

JudeB

Welcome to adulthood and Happy Birthday!

Postby JudeB » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:46 am

Hi hon. I am so glad that you are here.
I am 40, but age doesn't matter with depression.

As far as your friend goes, I am sorry that she said that to you. Depression gives us enough unnecessary guilt without people you care about accusing you of faking.

One thing that was said to me recently by my husband might help you.

He asked me why all my friends had major health problems. (I have depression and 39 allergies)
Frankly, trying to get people that haven't been through health problems(mental AND physical) to understand us is hard.
(Imagine when someone says they have allergies. No big deal, right? Mine is very life-altering, but most people think of allergies as no big deal. When you are allergic to practically everything; it IS a big deal.)
Wow, I just vented. Thanks for allowing me to. :D

I am lucky enough to have 2 GOOD friends that understand a lot of my feelings without being explained; because they go through it too.
We take turns "whining" to each other.lol
Venting, whatever you want to call it. Since we take turns, no one has to feel guilty for dumping. THAT helps a LOT!

I just told the hubby, they understand me. nuff said. :)

You are doing a very good thing by being here and you are so welcome here!

andrea

Postby andrea » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:52 pm

Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate the warm welcome. I love getting to know people!

rainvt

Postby rainvt » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:50 pm

:cry: :cry: I can really relate to you. You took the words right out of my mouth. I understand completely.

andrea

Postby andrea » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:35 pm

rainvt, we should talk sometime. :)

rainvt

Postby rainvt » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:19 pm

I think talking would be a great idea. :D

andrea

Postby andrea » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:46 pm

it turns out my best friend does understand and care about how i feel. it's hard to feel so bad sometimes and to keep the people you love from feeling bad with you too.

Emotional_77

Postby Emotional_77 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:01 pm

andrea wrote:it turns out my best friend does understand and care about how i feel. it's hard to feel so bad sometimes and to keep the people you love from feeling bad with you too.

very true

JudeB

Yup, Andrea

Postby JudeB » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:04 pm

You are very right.
Depression is one instance where misery doesn't love company.

I am glad to hear it.

KTrain86

Postby KTrain86 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:27 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)

Return to “New Member Introductions”