Remembering how to breathe

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Serene

Remembering how to breathe

Postby Serene » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi there, this is my first time posting here. I have been struggling with anxiety and depression lately, last couple of days have been particularly bad.

Had my first experience with depression in my teens, have fought to keep it at bay for years by leading a healthy lifestyle, eating right, exercising, hobbies, friendships etc. That worked for a while.

I have been in a hard relationship for the past 3 years, the hard part is not actually in regards to myself or my partner, together we are strong, supportive and enjoy each others company, the hard part is his ex who he shares a daughter with, she has BPD and has made huge efforts to interfere with out r/s. (I will post in the My Story section)

I have a bad habit of holding my breath when I am feeling anxious or low, it has been bad the last couple days. I am here hoping to find support, I think getting my thoughts out will help.. as though holding my breath is my way of holding in my feelings.

Thanks for reading, *Serene* xx

Alaska1958

Postby Alaska1958 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi Serene. I'm on the far side of the planetfr om yo. I won der what winter is like down there.

I'm really glad you have a partner who is good for you, but it sounds lik there isa neg ative side to that too. I hate being alone and it's one of the hardest aspects of my life.

Write more any time you feel like it. There's usually someone here to listen.

maria24

Postby maria24 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:38 am

I've done that too, holding my breath! I do several standard things occasionally when I'm feeling like I need to be in control of something, such as withholding food or even making small cuts. But holding my breath is something I do when I don't want to have a release, usually because I'm still trying to figure out all my thoughts. So it's kind of like a stalling process. But luckily the physical aspect of it sometimes helps because it can leave me more relaxed, so it's accidentally helpful and clears my head enough for me to stop freaking out.

Return to “New Member Introductions”