new at this--dealing with a depressed son for twenty years

Introductions and welcomes.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

patience

new at this--dealing with a depressed son for twenty years

Postby patience » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Can anyone give me some insight and advice on how to help my son who is twenty years old.
He has been dealing with depression and social anxiety since he was forteen years old. He wasn't able to attend traditional school due to the anxiety, so I had to homeschool him. He has a low self esteem because he feels he missed out on growing up with peers. He has no friends and this depresses him more. He is on medication which is helping him not to have crying jags. He even says the medicine helps. But now I think he needs therapy to help him deal with what ever it is that's been bothering him all these years. He's still having some social anxiety and is afraid to get a job. He has no friends and it breaks my heart. It is my hope that possibly we can connect with someone in the forum with similar issues and possibly a friendship for my son.

stillwaters

Postby stillwaters » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:05 pm

Hello patience
While I am quite a bit older than your son, I understand his pain and frustrations. It must be very hard for you to see him suffer.
I would recommend two things to you. First to look into Cognative Behavioral Therapy for your son as I have found it to be very helpful, (in addition to my meds) in coping with depression. He can get information from a therapist or there are also several books on the subject including in the yellow "for Dummies" series of books.
I am currently working with the Cognative Behavioral Therapy Workbook for Dummies 2nd Edition. It is difficult for me to concentrate for long periods of time but I am trying.
Secondly I would suggest he visit the chat rooms here. There are lots of people with similar illness and situations that will lend support.
It is also a place where he can come and chat and relax knowing he does not have to explain his situation because most others are going through the same thing and can relate.
I have been using the chat rooms since September and have made several friends and I hope your son will too.
Good luck to him and to you.

Return to “New Member Introductions”