What are the ten most popular pets in the US?

Open discussion about pets: training tips, stories, etc.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

What are the ten most popular pets in the US?

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:14 am

1. dogs
2. cats
3. hamsters
4. fish
5. mice
6. guinea pigs
7. birds
8.snakes
9. other reptiles
10. ferrets

Thought this was interesting. Not so sure of #5, #8 and #9. LOL, will stick with my cat.

What's your favorite?

Warmie 8)

Alleine

Favorite pet

Postby Alleine » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:00 pm

What's your favorite?

My favorite of my pets would have to be my horse, Smokey. She is a rescued race horse, who was going to be sold for meat because she hated racing. She is now off the track, and is doing real well learning jumps. I don't think I will ever show her, because she hates crowds, but she is so loving. I often take her down to the fire trails by my house and let her break free along the trails with me riding along bareback. There is a connection that we have that I don't feel with my other animals.

Alleine :)

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:42 pm

Alleine, the connect the human makes with an animal, is a bond that is never broken, at least by the animal.

Must say, animals are amazing, too bad the human being doesn't learn the lesson of love and respect from them.

Warmie 8)

YBsirius

Postby YBsirius » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:52 am

Sandy Claws wants to know why humans aren't in the list. They're her favorite pet. Hard to train, but she's one persistent cat.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:07 am

(((((((((((((( Sweet Sandy ))))))))))))))))

Find a pet paws forum!! :)

georgiapeach

Postby georgiapeach » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:23 pm

so according to your list of top ten favorite pets, i've had 6 of the ten pets... cat, dog, fish, hampsters, ferrets, and ginea pig. i refuse to own a mouse/mice, or a snake. other reptiles are iffy for me. i tend to like lizards like the bearded dragons and iguanas and geckos, ect. so yep but i still love my animals. i think im still going to inspire to work at a vetrianarien office. who knows though!!!

aim

Postby aim » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:06 pm

I'm a dog person. ALL DOG. :-) Cats are nice for their independence and the fact that I wouldn't have to stand outside at 3am waiting for a cat to pee!!!

Intersting list, Jeanie. I remember my former landlady's son was allergic to anything with fur, so he had a little reptile museum happening in his bedroom!

But I definitely agree with your trepedation about those things...

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:12 pm

Need to be without Ebony for health, but not doing it. He is my buddy.

Jeanie

aim

Postby aim » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:16 pm

What is it? Allergies? I always said the only thing that would make me give Dakota away would be when I have children.... if they are allergic or Dakota tried to hurt them. But that's IT. We come as a package deal, the two of us. Thank goodness my bf knows that and loves her too!

Emotional_77

Re: Favorite pet

Postby Emotional_77 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Alleine wrote:
What's your favorite?

My favorite of my pets would have to be my horse, Smokey. She is a rescued race horse, who was going to be sold for meat because she hated racing. She is now off the track, and is doing real well learning jumps. I don't think I will ever show her, because she hates crowds, but she is so loving. I often take her down to the fire trails by my house and let her break free along the trails with me riding along bareback. There is a connection that we have that I don't feel with my other animals.

Alleine :)

I Love horses, you are lucky to have one. My favorite pet is my cat Tilley.

aim

Postby aim » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:14 pm

My favorite and only pet ever is Dakota! Crazy-ass siberian husky, but loving, affectionate, gentle and kind! Love her to pieces!!!

NewfieMom

Postby NewfieMom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:03 pm

I have 2 beautiful Newfoundland dogs and a part-manx cat. These animals help to keep me grounded. I love them beyond words. In fact my older Newf is a certified pet therapy dog. Unfortunately other obligations have gotten in the way of our visits, but seeing the smiles on other peoples faces when visiting with my girl is probably the single most gratifying thing I have done in my life. One of the fun things at home is the tease game Miss Kitty plays with the girls. They truly are amazing.

When I was a kid, I wanted a horse so badly, but it wasn't meant to be. I still love horses and would like to make riding a part of my routine if I could. One of my best vacations was 20 years ago - 4 days on horseback in Banff National Park.

Return to “Pets”