My Therapy Dog is Now a Burden

Open discussion about pets: training tips, stories, etc.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Angel 5

My Therapy Dog is Now a Burden

Postby Angel 5 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:23 am

[size=18][/size][i]I have my dog for over 12 years. He is a small lap dog and has never been any trouble. However, since my husband and I separated, and he wanted me to move out, I did to a townhouse. I got here in October, but now that this early summer thing has started my therapy dog has gone from being good for me, to just draining all of the energy out of me. I have such a limited supply of energy and he wants to go out 3-4 times a day, takes medication 3 times a day, and of course needs to eat.
All my time is now scheduled around him, and all my energy is drained by him. I ask my H to take our dog, Kodi back and he said "No." At home we just let him out the back door on a rope. Here at the townhouse that is not allowed, so I have to walk him. This week I just felt like I couldn't do it anymore, so I asked again for someone in the family to take him. They are all so busy with their own lives they can't be bothered, so I am stuck. I love him dearly, but he is slowly killing me. People who are not depressed have no idea how some days are so hard you barely make it from bed to the couch. I don't have the luxury of bad days. If the dog needs to go out, he NEEDS TO GO out.
Just venting, there are no acceptable alternatives.
Thanks for listening.[/i]

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:29 am

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Angel 5 ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

-- It's a hug... the only way I could think of to offer comfort.... You know, the idea behind it....

You will make it!

karolanne

Postby karolanne » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:01 am

This story is old, but I wanted to say it's sad. Probably ended by the put to sleep solution :( I hope not.

stillwaters

Postby stillwaters » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi Angel 5
We had to put down our little dog who was 16 years old, this past May. I really miss her a lot. I do know what it is like to be depressed and maybe your little dog who needs attention is just the thing to keep you off the couch. Getting out and walking is a very good form of therapy and gets natural good chemicals produced for your brain. I have a good friend who gets me to walk every morning and I feel better for it. I know it seems like a hard chore at times but maybe your dog is doing you more good than you know right now.
Take care and give your dog a scratch under the chin for me.

Blueroses

Postby Blueroses » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:28 pm

I agree with Stillwaters. I'm depressed also. My little dog loves to go frolick in the sunshine. Therefore, I'm up and outside with her. Maybe your dog will be your saving grace.

Return to “Pets”