Fear of flying

For example: agoraphobia, claustrophobia, social phobia.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Blueroses

Fear of flying

Postby Blueroses » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:44 pm

I suffer from a terrible fear of flying. I didn't know this until me and my daughters planned a trip to Ohio to see my oldest daughter. I saved for a long time for the trip. Plane tickets were purchased. The closer it got to the departure, I started experiencing nightmares, loss of appetite and severe anxiety. I simply could not get on the plane. I disappointed my daughters and myself. Not to mention the non-refundable plane ticket. I have a chance to go again. But I don't know how to get over this. Any ideas?

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:40 am

Hello there....

I have something similar. It is out of necessity that I have to fly. (I live on an island, so to get anywhere really, flying is sometimes the only way or the quickest way.)

If you are going with someone, it may help to hold their hands or hang onto that person.

If you aren't going with someone, it may help to express to the person next to you that you are afraid of flying. My mom was sitting next to this young gentleman who freaked out and she actually had to hold his hands and rub his back/shoulder for him to keep it all together. The reassurance that everything would be okay helped him immensely. You know, and everything was alright.... (He thanked her profusely when he got off the plane.)

Depending on how bad it is, I've heard people go to the doctor to get something prescribed to them to help them remain calm or to relax. Those folks talked about stuff like valium (Diazepram) or Xanax ; I don't know how good medicines like those are or if that is the going thing that doctors prescribe now.

As for me, I take my heart medicine a few moments before I get on the plane or even check-in at the airport. That sort of helps me out a lot.

You can use relaxing music.... or your favorite music via walkman, CD, iPod, mp3 players, etc.

If you have a tablet or portable DVD player, you can look forward to watching movies.

If you have a tablet or iPhone/Android phone, etc. , you can play games on it.

The point would be to bring something to distract you and shift your focus elsewhere.

Bring a toy (yes, even as an adult) or teddy bear, Barbie, good luck charm, WHATEVER you can legally bring with you to help you feel at ease. (I started carrying a good luck charm with me, almost everywhere I go.)

I found wearing rainbow moonstone jewelry helped me out a lot. I have no idea if it will work for you.

You can try those stress balls (a kind of beanie bag or something).

You can also use the power of your imagination and just think of yourself being some place else, doing something you like.

You can.... um... mentally talk to yourself. I DO..... "It's going to be alright." "Everything is going to be okay." etc.

If you are religious and you pray, then I would suggest that too or carrying a Bible for your respective religion.

Before take off you are asked to turn off all electronic devices, so you can do some of these before you get on the plane or before you reach the airport.

Hope something works for you!

Blueroses

Postby Blueroses » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:01 am

Thank you for your help.

hollyann

Postby hollyann » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:17 pm

Let us know if some or all of these work for you and best of luck blueroses

Blueroses

Postby Blueroses » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Thank you so much.

dougsan

TWO FEET ON THE GROUND

Postby dougsan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:14 pm

I too fear flying but I also fear riding in any vehicle. For me, the fear is based on giving up control. If I could drive the vehicle then all is good.

Of course there is fear of flying and "Fear of Flying" (by Erica Jong).

I have developed a very strong fear of human contact, another longish story for another time.

LuisSteven

Postby LuisSteven » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:12 am

Fly with a friend if you can--preferably someone who's flown many times before and isn't scared of it at all. Get an aisle seat. Not only will you be further away from the window, but you'll also have better access to flight attendants. Talk with someone the whole time to distract yourself. Bring things to keep you distracted: an MP3 player, puzzles, magazines, books, a portable DVD player, etc. Buy some of your favorite songs before you get on your flight, and listen to them to relax.

dougsan

Postby dougsan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:20 am

I fully agree with the previous suggestions to best your fear of flying (title of very funny adult book from 40 or so years ago ["Fear of Flying]). I would like to warn you though, I have not been able to master my fear of flying at all. In fact I have trouble riding in a car for more than 30 minutes or so (less at night). My problem is routed in my inability to let anyone assume responsibility for me (serious control issues). This problem minimizes my ability to stay in a hospital (3 days max so far). I wish you success with your flying efforts and do hope you're not as limited as me.

Prycejosh1987

Re: Fear of flying

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:16 pm

Blueroses wrote:I suffer from a terrible fear of flying. I didn't know this until me and my daughters planned a trip to Ohio to see my oldest daughter. I saved for a long time for the trip. Plane tickets were purchased. The closer it got to the departure, I started experiencing nightmares, loss of appetite and severe anxiety. I simply could not get on the plane. I disappointed my daughters and myself. Not to mention the non-refundable plane ticket. I have a chance to go again. But I don't know how to get over this. Any ideas?

Planes are the safest form a travel i am told. Car crashes are alot more common than plane crashes. How many times do you hear of a plane crashing. I still think you should go on this trip. Speak to a therapist about it.

Return to “Phobias”