Social Phobia

For example: agoraphobia, claustrophobia, social phobia.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

brittlane93

Social Phobia

Postby brittlane93 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:03 pm

For one of the friendliest people you will ever meet, I think I have social phobia. I like meeting new people but when I start getting to know people I always have a trust issue. I'm constantly paranoid that people are judging me and it freaks me out. I dunno what to do sometimes because them judging might not be the case. I'm scared I'll be alone in the end :/ that no will care about me, and it sets in stone when I go out I think "They're judging me, I'm doing something wrong. Panic attack starts now." Then I realize people are staring at me and I can't find a way out. So then my anxiety kicks in. And I start having an attack.

Also I've noticed I can't look people in the eye and i can't call businesses or hospitals for the fear of talking to them. I can't talk to higher-ups. I get afraid.

I dont know if I have it, but its things I have noticed that I think may be it.

hollyann

Postby hollyann » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:21 am

hi brittlane. Only a doctor could tell you for sure if you have this. You should speak to someone and find out for sure. Once you find out for sure you can find out what you need to do to work on getting better. Hang in there.

holly

SandraN.

Postby SandraN. » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:41 pm

Seems as if you do have social phobia. Only you know yourself (even better than a doctor). There's a difference between feeling relaxed/chill also confident while talking to someone ( having a sense of self worth and not being afraid) rather than what you have described having this tense irrational fear of being rejected and judged. When an individual doesn't have a high sense of worth and confidence others notice that could explain the looks of others. The worst thing is when someone becomes aware of this problem a certain individual has and uses things against that individual (ex. such as standing up for yourself). I feel the same sometimes, the only thing I recommend better than drugs is setting yourself free! something in your life has or is causing this inadequate feeling. Perhaps someone in the past has hurt you and you feel a need to close yourself around people so it doesn't happen again. It's kind of like a registration in your unconscious part of mind, it clicks in right away and you get this anxiety. There's a book I recommend "The Secret of Quantum Living" by Frank J. Kinslow. This book makes you get into pure awareness and deep relaxation which with enough effort you can reach that unconscious part of your mind and play an audio or have someone play it repeating you are confident and you are bright nothing will bring you down...this is kind of like hypnosis but at home experience (less money). You see immediate results I promise you! You will be so confident and anxiety free finally you will be able to breathe fresh air! Good luck with everything ! You will be fine : ) if you need to talk to someone I'm here for you.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:57 am

There are so many possible diagnosis out there and the symptoms overlap so drastically it really does take a trained professional to adequately diagnose. It could also be a symptom of some other underlying situation. I do hope you seek the help you are needing. In the meantime, we are here for you.

Obayan

Postby Obayan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:00 am

That's actually an exercise in CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and i've found it to be extremely helpfull.

andyphil

Postby andyphil » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:03 pm

Hello brittlane,

sorry to hear about your problem and I hope you'll have it resolve soon.
First advice on seeing a doctor would be helpful for you. But if you're not ready on that then I think its better that you continue going out more often and try to enjoy moments. You try to relax yourself and not think too much about others saying and you should try not to think of them the same.. sometimes we tend to think of others thinking of us because we do the same to them.
Practicing this can help you although its still good to see a counselor or a doctor to help you on this.

Prycejosh1987

Re: Social Phobia

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:18 am

brittlane93 wrote:For one of the friendliest people you will ever meet, I think I have social phobia. I like meeting new people but when I start getting to know people I always have a trust issue. I'm constantly paranoid that people are judging me and it freaks me out. I dunno what to do sometimes because them judging might not be the case. I'm scared I'll be alone in the end :/ that no will care about me, and it sets in stone when I go out I think "They're judging me, I'm doing something wrong. Panic attack starts now." Then I realize people are staring at me and I can't find a way out. So then my anxiety kicks in. And I start having an attack.

Also I've noticed I can't look people in the eye and i can't call businesses or hospitals for the fear of talking to them. I can't talk to higher-ups. I get afraid.

I dont know if I have it, but its things I have noticed that I think may be it.

You need to let this trust issue go. People only "notice" someone when they want to be "noticed" It can be because of the way you walk, the way your dressed, etc. Dont be paranoid but be yourself. It doesnt matter what people think of you, it matters about what your think about yourself. The trust issue can be overcome over time. As people connect more and more each time it then becomes easier to trust them. Trust is earned not given.

Return to “Phobias”