Driving

For example: agoraphobia, claustrophobia, social phobia.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Jazminetta

Driving

Postby Jazminetta » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:54 am

My biggest fear in life is driving. It absolutely terrifies me. I do drive, but I only go to very local places and only drive when there is no other option. I have never known anyone else with this problem. It ruined my social life, I pretty much don't have one now. Friends look at me like I am from another planet when I tell them I can't drive on the highway. When I did try to go out, the conversation always turned into me and how I am going to get there and it was embarrassing that everyone had to go out of their way for me. There are no support groups and no kind of help for this problem that I know of. It even limits where I can work. Does anyone actually have this problem besides me???

JulesK

Re: Driving

Postby JulesK » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:47 am

Jazminetta wrote: Does anyone actually have this problem besides me???

You're one step ahead of me, actually. I don't drive at all because when I have tried to learn, I start to shake, my heart rate accelerates and I get too nervous to think clearly. I know it comes from a conviction that everything I do is doomed to fail, but with driving I'm convinced failure will involve a wrecked car and someone getting hurt or worse. I know it comes from depression and anxiety, but I can't get past the fear.

I've never held a driver's license (just several learner's permits ) :oops: I just tell people I hate driving and live in fear I'll be in an emergency situation that requires driving. My husband got his license the second it was legal for him to have one and he thinks I'm a weird pain in the butt.

So, I'm really glad you shared this. At least you're brave enough to actually drive!

Jazminetta

Postby Jazminetta » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:58 am

Not as brave as you think, I only drive at all because my mom forced me to learn. In a way I am kind of glad she did, because life would be hard without driving anywhere at all. But if I won the lottery, the first thing I would do is buy a limo and hire a driver. If it were up to me, I would never drive again.

Prycejosh1987

Postby Prycejosh1987 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:53 pm

Jazminetta wrote:My biggest fear in life is driving. It absolutely terrifies me. I do drive, but I only go to very local places and only drive when there is no other option. I have never known anyone else with this problem. It ruined my social life, I pretty much don't have one now. Friends look at me like I am from another planet when I tell them I can't drive on the highway. When I did try to go out, the conversation always turned into me and how I am going to get there and it was embarrassing that everyone had to go out of their way for me. There are no support groups and no kind of help for this problem that I know of. It even limits where I can work. Does anyone actually have this problem besides me???

If you drive then you are half way to dealing with this issue. You are scared of getting into an accident, that is the real problem. Its possible to get into accidents on the road but its not very common. Drive safely and always be on guard when on the road. Good luck.

semirason

Postby semirason » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:40 am

I feel your problem. Unfortunately, I have not experienced it in my life, but I can imagine how awful it is. I am sure that such support groups should help because in my experience they have shown good results. I love driving too and I recently started taking my driver's license. I signed up for several tests because the very first one was cancelled. I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't seen it on https://driving-test-cancellations.com. This resource helped me sign up for several other tests so I am not discouraged.

Return to “Phobias”