Did you know? July 8, 2011

Off-and-on topics to brighten your day. Please feel free to comment upon what you've read.

Moderator: Moderators

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Did you know? July 8, 2011

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Did you know 1 nautical knot equates to 1.852 Kph (1.150 mph)

Did you know if you add up all the numbers from 1 to 100 consecutively (1 + 2 + 3...) it totals 5050

Did you know sponges hold more cold water than hot

Did you know lightning strikes the Earth 6,000 times every minute

Did you know fire usually moves faster uphill than downhill

Did you know cats have over 100 vocal chords

Did you know camel's milk doesn't curdle

Did you know elephants sleep between 4 - 5 hours in 24 period

Did you know it's possible to lead a cow up stairs but not down

Did you know frogs can't swallow with their eyes open

Warmie 8)

TackingIntoTheWind

Postby TackingIntoTheWind » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:31 am

" Did you know it's possible to lead a cow up stairs but not down "
Imagine if a serial-killer handcuffed to a cow was chasing someone around a stately home. A stately home with magnificent sweeping staircases, but no lifts/elevators. The intended victim could run UP one staircase, and the serial-killer, inescapably handcuffed to the cow could follow. But, if the intended victim then ran DOWN another staircase, the serial-killer and cow would both be stranded upstairs while the intended victim made good their escape. 8)
( Admittedly, that isn't a vastly likely scenario... :wink: )
( PS. I've copyrighted that idea. I'm thinking of submitting it to CSI New York...! :wink: )
(PPS. But, where am I going to find a cow that can act?! :? )

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:39 pm

(((((((((((((( TackingIntoTheWind ))))))))))))))

Your imagination is beyond words. You should write!! ;)

Warmie

TackingIntoTheWind

It's Funny You Should Say That...Triggering?

Postby TackingIntoTheWind » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:28 am

Thanks (((( Warmie ))))! :D I've had a rather up-and-down week, so positive feedback is very much appreciated! :wink:.
Actually, it's interesting that you should say that. I think that I'd like to be a writer. I do have a fairly...er..." active " imagination, and I've always loved stories. I've written a few small odds-and-ends for the newsletters of a few science-fiction fan-clubs that I've been a member of over the years. And, I did once have a couple of paragraphs published in SFX, a science-fiction magazine published in the UK. ( A friend of mine attended a Star Trek convention in South Wales in 1996, and the editor of SFX asked him to write a few paragraphs on what he thought of the convention, to go in the magazine. However, my friend had been somewhat involved in the running of the convention, and therefore he didn't feel that he could give a totally unbiased opinion of it. So, my friend, knowing that I'd attended the same convention, asked me to jot down a few impressions of it. Which I did. ) I didn't get paid for it, so I can't truthfully claim it as a " professional ", sale but it was SOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOL to see my words and name in print! 8) ( I am SUCH a GEEK!!!! But, I know this, and accept myself as I am. So, I can at least claim points for honesty, self knowledge and self-acceptance...right? :) :wink:
I am feeling quite trapped and isolated at the moment, by things like work not going so well, and a very other things, which is very much triggering my depression at the moment. In fact there are times when I do think quite often about suicide. If only as the proverbial " way out of the woods. " Although, I still hope that, by the Grace of God, I'll still be able to find the resourcefulness and resilience to " muddle through " to better times...
I've also been feeling slightly " aimless " at the moment. It's actually quite ironic how lost, disconnected and lonely I feel sometimes. I'm only a few miles from the hospital where I was born, the home I grew up in, the schools I went to, my past and present places of work. But, there are times when I wonder, if I went to Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the US, would, could I feel that much more on the outside-looking-in? At least in a foreign country you might expect to feel that way.
So, I am going to take your suggestion to heart (((( Warmie )))). And, at least start jotting down story ideas again. It'll give me something to focus on and distract myself with at least.
( In fact I have this idea for a character...A very wise, kind woman who talks to people only through the internet, in a ceaseless bid to make the world a better, kinder place..." The Adventures of Warmhearts Corner. "
( Assuming you don't sue my for copyright violation! :wink: )

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:09 am

(((((((((((( TackingIntoTheWind ))))))))))))))

Your passion to write, I feel, will be more of a blessing to you than you know. Keeping your mind busy, not thinking of how life can be, or is. You let your mind and soul wander and this is such a gift. Warms you from within which makes facing life a little easier. So many people do not know how to allow the freedom of that to flow. Me for one, LOL. You kind Sir, have a talent with words. You share so much of the wonderful person you truly are. I am grateful you are here, the laughter you bring, the honesty you present to all of us.

You always give me a reason to smile, this time the tears showed up, but in a good way. Believe me when I say, any writing concerning me will be a very short novel (or should I say page?). ;)

Keep the dream alive, you have a God-given talent, use it, share it. And thank you for adding me to the list of friends. Just think, when you are famous I can say, "I knew you when!"

Warmie

TackingIntoTheWind

Postby TackingIntoTheWind » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:51 am

Thanks SOOOO much for your kind words (((( Warmie ))))! They really are much appreciated, particularly at this moment in time. :D ( In fact, I'm printing them off in the library, so I can put them somewhere at home where I can see them and keep them in mind. :D )

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:16 pm

(((((((((((( TackingIntoTheWind ))))))))))))))

Please remember this (print it off so you won't forget).

You are, kind, caring, put others first, dedicated, trustworthy, gentle, with heart, smart, talented , you are just so darn lovable, a sweetie and most important you are a friend!

Warmie :wink:

shatteredhopes

Postby shatteredhopes » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:36 pm

I just want to wholeheartedly echo what ((((((warmie))))))) said, ((((((((tacking)))))))))) you are truly spectacular human being. I am so pleased you are jotting story ideas down again. In the USA they have a book called "Writer's Market" that tells of magazines, book publishers, contests, newsletters, etc. where you can submit pieces for publication and gives tips on how to market your work. Might there be something similar in the UK, that the library might have?

I think sci fi with a twinge of your trademark humor would be outstanding! I also think you could do some writing about human rights issues and such if you were so inclined, you are so well informed, or history, or whatever else strikes your fancy. You are sooooo intelligent my friend. I know you can write successfully and I would dare say professionally if you set your sights on doing so. You really do have an excellent way with words, a fabulous imagination and sense of humor, and a gifted mind.

So sorry to hear that the depression is getting the better of you these days. I know how that goes :( but when it does me I try to remember I will get though the worst of it if I just hang on and do my best to fight the suicidal ideation. One trick I have learned, when I feel suicidal I don't allow myself to entertain thoughts of how and details, I just postpone. I will do it next week, or next month, or something like that and just focus on the here and now and getting through the moment. Inevitably, the cloud lifts some and so I never get around to doing the awful deed.

I am sorry they are giving you are hard go at work. But, you should definitely pat yourself on the back and be very proud that you are continuing on despite severe depression and suicidal ideation. That shows enormous strength, courage, and perserverance.

We love you ((((((((tacking)))))))))), don't forget that, and the world is a far far better place with you in it.

Wishing you peace and light in your day and sending big big hugs and good thoughts your way.

TackingIntoTheWind

Postby TackingIntoTheWind » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks SOOOO much (((( Warmie )))) & (((( shatteredhopes ))))!!!! Your kind words are SOOOO greatly appreciated!!!! :D
Your suggestion is a very good one (((( shatteredhopes )))), and I find that it does help me to avoid very negative thoughts if I just focus my attention on " doing the next right thing ", like going to the dentist, or paying the electricity bill, or just getting myself to the 'bus stop so I can head to work in the morning.
And, being someone who loves stories, I find another good way of getting through a bleak period is to keep track of the developing storylines of my favourite series. For example the TV channel E4 have just started showing the 10th season of Smallville at 9:00 PM on Tuesday nights. And, the new series of Torchwood: Miracle Day is starting on Thursday, also at 9:00 PM, I think, I'll check when I get home tonight. It may be that getting immersed in stories like these helps me to remember that, just as the storylines of these progranmmes are continually unfolding, I am still the hero of the story of my own life, which, by the Grace of God, may well turn out better than I think, or possibly can even imagine.
Your suggestions of what I might write are also very interesting indeed, (((( shatteredhopes )))). I've got at the back of my mind a feeling that there may very well be a UK equivalent of " Writer's Market ". I'll have a look around the library, they do have quite a good selection of reference material here.
( And, yes, I am printing this out! The positive feedback is VERY much appreciated!!!! :D :wink: )

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:03 pm

(((((((((((( TackingIntoTheWind )))))))))))))))))

A warm hug to keep handy.

Warmie

Return to “Warmsoul's Corner”