carly

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

carly

carly

Postby carly » Thu May 27, 2010 3:53 pm

Well i just started coming to the chat room regularly and I figured I would let everybody know who I am and why I am here.

First of all I am 18 years old in the process of graduating high school at the moment. I have a little sister who is basically the center of my universe.

As for why I am here the answer to that question lies in my parents. My mother is and as far as i can remember always has been a very serious alcoholic. She spends her days in bed hung over and sick and her nights drowning her sorrows. My dad pays little to no attention to her so taking care of her is up to me, once i get home from school and picking up my sister i spend an hour or two cleaning up whatever mess she has made during the day. She obviously has no interest in me or anything I do, sometimes she forgets my name.

My dad is the real problem though, and he is, I expect, the reason that my mom is the way she is. He is abusive in every sense of the word. When i was a little kid it was mostly verbal abuse with occasional violence when he was really angry but it has grown exponentially over the years. He has complete control over every aspect of my life.

I am stuck in this situation partially out of fear of running and partially because I simply cannot leave my sister. She means everything to me and I couldn't live without her or knowing that she is alone with my dad. I have considered going to the police or running away but neither are viable options for me. My dad uses my sister sort of like blackmail against me, he knows I would do anything for her. Even if i did manage to get to the cops and they took him away, I would lose my sister to foster care or something along those lines. Selfish as that may be I need her. Obviously I can't just run away because without me around my dad would just turn to my sister instead of me.

Going through school without any kind of support, taking care of my mom and my sister, missing out on all my senior events (like prom), upcoming graduation and summer vacation and my dads constant abuse are wearing me really thin and I needed something to help me cope. So I came here.

Even if nobody reads this getting it all out feels sooo good.

oh and here is me with my sis :P

SOUP

Postby SOUP » Thu May 27, 2010 6:26 pm

First of all Carly I´d like to welcome you to the site. I´ve seen you in the chat a couple of times, its good that you are letting it out. When we write things down we tend to have a better perspective of what our options are.

Question, do you have any other family members you can speak with?

Hope things get better for you,

SOUP

P.S.: That picture is insanely cute.

carly

Postby carly » Thu May 27, 2010 6:28 pm

I don't know any of my family outside of my Mom, Dad and Sis.

P.S.: Thank you! She is the cutest kid in the world!!!! :D

SOUP

Postby SOUP » Thu May 27, 2010 6:40 pm

You´re considered an adult at 18, can´t you just adopt your sister if you run away?

carly

Postby carly » Thu May 27, 2010 6:48 pm

I seriously doubt that I would pass all of the standards to be eligible to adopt her. Seeing as i have 0 income, not even a high school diploma (yet) and am "emotionally unstable" or however you want to put it. Not to mention I have nowhere that the two of us could live, I don't want that life for her.

SOUP

Postby SOUP » Thu May 27, 2010 6:59 pm

Try talking some sense into your mom. Sit down with her and explain to her the situation, somewhere in there she does care for you both.

Return to “Your Story”