My Story of Semi-Recovery (Non-Medication)

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

crystalgaze

My Story of Semi-Recovery (Non-Medication)

Postby crystalgaze » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:47 pm

A FEW THINGS FIRST

==I am not a doctor, & I am not recommending any particular thing.

==I only am sharing what I've tried & what worked for me.

==I suffered from what seemed to be paralyzing depression, & that's what I sought to find a non-medication/pill solution for that would work for me.

==If it happens to work for someone else who may try it, then "Great" & "YEAH".

==Doing things in small quantities is best to make sure you're not allergic to any thing & to avoid having a reaction.

==I tried or did only one MAJOR "internal" thing at a time, usually for a few months to see how I responded to it. Some things can be paired up without problems, though.

==I nearly went broke doing this, but I believed something was wrong in my body--whether it was due to something I was doing wrong or something I was taking--& I set out to get every thing back into equilibrium. I operated from this premise because I had been taking medication for about 3 years consecutively & felt that I was a toxic soup pot brew of all sorts of chemicals.

==My approach to getting well was to phase out every thing I was doing or not doing or not doing enough of that I should/should not be doing that could contribute to my incessant feeling of being unwell.

==I'll start with what was most effective for me 1st, but it is really hard to put an order to every thing. It's better to check every thing on the list.

==Please look at every thing carefully. Re-read it if necessary.

==Non-medication/non-pill treatment was important to me because I had had a bad experience with medication & really didn't feel like being bothered with it any more. In another post, I explain why I have an issue with pills + medication.

==Every thing was not always clear, clear cut or easy. I had many moments of despair, but I kept reading/ re-reading & researching/re-researching every thing I could find feverishly. I mulled things over in my brain for a good while before trying them out finally.

==I believe that the reason I got better was I took a holistic approach. It took at least 2 to 3 years, since I had to research things & I had no one to give me tips & I had to start from scratch.

I'm not a great multi-tasker, but I did my best. Once I finished with something, I would ask myself, "What do I do next?" I would go into maintenance mode where I would do whatever it was every other day or once a week or once a month (something like that).

==Some of what's below may be givens. The point here is that if you aren't taking very good care of yourself, please try your best to improve at it.

==I am not endorsing or telling any one to use any particular brand or product. A few things are mentioned, so that people who don't know where to look have a starting point.

==Most things are lifestyle changes.

==Every thing I'm talking about I have tried or done myself.

==What I've written is not gospel but it's food for thought.

==I was a bit of a daredevil in all of this because I used myself as a guinea pig, not knowing if I would have a problem. What I did do was research every thing as much as possible & made sure to do damage control. I was very scared at times, but I did my best & it worked out okay.

==I believed that I could heal myself and was qualified to do so, just like any doctor out there, especially after having tried medication & not having it work for me, due to whatever reason. I made sure to think & think hard & ask myself all the questions I could. Safety was always first!

==The only thing I wish that could have happened differently was having a list of things to try off the bat. It was really difficult searching for all the information, day in & day out tirelessly.

==I went in with the attitude that I was going to fix whatever it was that was doing me. There are some things that I could not "fix" exactly, like I'm still really scattered, but at least my thoughts don't race like they're in a Nascar competition any more.

It was sort of like fix what's off physically & work through the mental. I was like, "I don't care how long it takes, but I will not fail myself. I'm the only one who can do it. It is my duty/job to do so, even if it's one step at a time (& it really was one step at a time). There's no pressure, but you will work toward what you need to do & get it done. I'm going to give this thing the 1 2 punch knockout. Bam."

==I did not always have super days. There were a lot of down-in-dump days while I searched for things to help me. It was also very exhausting.

==It was very important to me to NOT be dependent/addicted to any thing I tried/used.

==If something isn't working or makes you sick, then stop doing it.

HERE GOES.

1. Apple Cider Vinegar (1 tablespoon diluted in about 3 cups of water)

I couldn't drink it straight, so I added a little bit of lemon/lime juice.

About two months ago, I tried this as a last ditch effort as I almost exhausted all of my resources trying to get better & this is what has helped me keep my sanity.

Cost: About $3 for the vinegar. Gallon bottles of water where I live costs about $1.00 to $1.25 per bottle.

Duration: I did this for about 1 to 2 months & then as needed. I don't know why it worked, but it did for me.

Important: Please drink enough/more water. See below. Please make sure to brush your teeth, as vinegar can be hard on your enamel!

What It Fixed For Me: The Constant Unwell Feeling/The Not Feeling Good Situation; Low Energy; Stomach Problems that Persisted No Matter How Healthily I Ate; Bowel Problems (IBS???); Hyperactive Stomach that Would Occur When I Got Nervous

Background: I was constantly feeling unwell, but the unwell feeling was always very mild & I could never put my finger on what it was. I mean, it was as though I was okay, yet strangely not okay at the same time. I'd been battling that the last two years. I almost thought every thing was all in my head.

What I Did Before Starting: I went with caution because I had done an internet search & found a web site where people had listed contraindications. I didn't NOT want to try it, so that's why I decided to use a lot of water when I drank it.

Possible Effect: You might go to the bathroom more & more completely & more easily, if you're having a problem.

To be honest: I did not believe the apple cider vinegar would do any thing. I was very doubtful it would help me. It was a desperate stab at the wind / last ditch effort on my part.

2. Apples/Tomatoes/Tomato Sauce

What Happened: A friend mailed me some information on apples that she had received.

Dealing with My Problem: I didn't really like fruits, but I tended to like green or golden apples.

To be honest: I would sit down & peel off the skin for fear of pesticides.

Cost: Not too expensive, as far as I know

Duration: Once a day or every time I started to feel bad/depressed/low energy

Result: I would feel better after eating the apple. It was like an instant lift. I don't know why it happened. The same would happen when I ate tomatoes/tomato sauce.

Important: This is probably a given, but wash it well.

What It Fixed For Me: Low Energy; Cravings for sweets (Okras did as well for me.)

3. Drinking Enough/More Water: Staying Hydrated!

Background: When I started the apple cider vinegar, I worked very hard to make sure I drank at least 64 oz of water per day. Sometimes I would drink close to twice the amount because I felt thirsty & my lips often felt cracked.

Dealing with My Problem: I had had a hard time drinking water. So.... I took baby steps. I liked lime/lemon so I put it in my water & drank it. I started with drinking tea without sugar or very little sugar (like 2 or 3 drops of Stevia extract). When I got tired of that, I made cinnamon water & would try to drink that & plain water well.

Result: I am better at drinking water straight now.

To be honest: I didn't really like drinking water, but it wasn't really smart to be stifling my body by not doing it, so off I went on my water journey.

What I Believed: Water would help flush out my system.

Cost: I went for gallon bottles of water, which often gave me more bang for my buck.

Duration: From whenever I started to present as much as possible

Important: Don't overdo it.

What It Fixed For Me: Dehydration

What I Did Before Starting: Talked myself into doing it & told myself that it would be good for me, since I didn't really want to do it & did every thing to look at it positively

Possible Effect: It may have helped get junk out of my body.

4. Eating More Healthily

What I Believed: Cutting out/avoiding chemicals would help.

Dealing with My Problem: I had to give up a lot of food I had previously enjoyed & that was "bad" for me any way.

To be honest: It was hard at first. I didn't know what I could actually eat but then I found some things!

Cost: Can be expensive but is worth it & if you reduce your portions it can last a good while.

Duration: From whenever you start to present

Important: Watch the labels like a hawk! Clear out the pantry so you won't be tempted. Use the glycemic index. Don't eat something if you're allergic to it!

What It Fixed For Me: Exposure to chemicals, such as MSG, food dyes, acesulfame potassium, preservatives (BHT + BHA, THBQ), sugar substitutes (aspartame, sucralose, etc.) etc.

Background: I felt it would help me.

What I Did Before Starting: Research, research, research & more research; lots of casual going into the store & looking at labels, looking for nutrition facts online

Possible Effect: Eating less processed foods might make you feel better. I know I felt like I went into withdrawal, which goes away after a while. The point is to phase out the chemicals over time.

Foods I Discovered/Re-discovered I Could Eat: (WATCH THE LABELS LIKE A HAWK! List is provided to help you get started with adjusting your diet, if you want to try it.)

---Crispbread (tried Kavli; helped with my bread/cracker fetish/craving);

---Fruit (bananas, strawberries, cherries, watermelon, honey dew melon, canteloupe, pineapple, apples, applesauce, etc.);

---Vegetables (I liked spinach, carrots, corn, green beans, french cut green beans, mixed vegetables, etc. so I started with those.);

---Cereal (I tried some Cheerios.); Waffles (Kashi); Rice Cakes (only if you like them); Yogurt (Vanilla at first/plain was very trying for me.)

---Soup (made close to from scratch; One I particularly liked involved adding fresh spinach + scrambled eggs/egg whites to some broth; It's an Italian dish I had in a restaurant, but I can't remember the name for the life of me! I modified it by adding pasta, particularly vermicelli)

> Peanut Butter + Jelly (Skippy Natural or Polaner's Strawberry, for example)

> Ice Cream (Breyers or some other brand, just not the really caloric ones like Haagen Dazs.... If you get Haagen Dazs, don't eat too much of it all at once. A pint of that stuff lasted me a month when my parents weren't home. Sometimes I would go overboard as well; :lol: I was human....)

> Sea Salt (I cooled out with the fine salt crystals.)

> Brown Sugar and/or Stevia or Agave Nectar or Honey (whatever it is you like)

> Ramen Noodles (I had a bad addiction/craving for ramen noodles, SO I would fix the noodles & not use the seasoning packet. That was how I beat the MSG. Then, I would use Braggs Aminos &/or Soy Sauce in the water for taste. I still cut down on how many times I would eat it.

> Beans (Frozen or in the Bag or Eden Organic/Libby's Organic, for example)

> Tuna (I happen to love the one in water. I stay away from the albacore one.)

> Salmon (Canned, but fresh tastes better)

> Cheeses (Especially Cottage, but I am not a fan of it; I liked Feta, Mozarella, American Yellow or White, Blue, pecorino, etc.)

> Pasta (vermicelli, spaghetti, fettucine, etc. I haven't gotten into wheat ones much. I still can't get used to the taste & often don't cook it well.)

> Rice (low glycemic ones, brown or maharani)

> Essences (Simply Organic or Flavorganics)

> Tea

> 100% Juice (Nantucket, etc.)

> Nuts (low sodium/sea salt/unsalted peanuts, pecans, almonds, etc.)

> Spices (cinnamon, garlic, etc.)

> Junk (Yummy Earth lollipops & mints; Betty Lou's Jumbo Fruit Bars, Luna Bar, etc.)

> Snacks (I was addicted to Pita Bites for a while, due to my bread/cracker fetish/craving.)

> Soda (Natural Brew Soda or Club Soda or San Pelligrino or Grown-up Soda, etc.)

> Oatmeal

> Broth (MSG Alert)

> Almond/Rice/Soy Milk

> Coffee Alternative: Teeccino (Check the ingredients, especially if you have a stomach problem. I had a REALLY BAD coffee/cappuccino problem, especially when I was in college & in winter. Sometimes my classes were early & that was the quickest thing I could grab. It also tasted great, so I was hooked after my first cup.)

> Condiments (I didn't/couldn't give up these. T.T Sorry. So I had my steak sauce, which I used every now + then, mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, dijonnaise, etc.)

> Almost Nothing Was Off-Limits as Long as It Was Healthy (not packed with fats, preservatives, grease, cholesterol, too much salt or sugar, etc.)

(I even tried out some organic bars, but I got tired of those after a while. Taste is always a factor. Since home can be limited sometimes, online stores that could ship to me were my best of friends.)

I looked up labels at the veganstore/other online stores & even tried out some vegan/vegetarian foods + things I had not tried before like tofu, veggie burger mixes from seteinbacher (no low sodium version available, though.... T.T). (:lol: If you'd seen me with the Tofu, you would have died laughing. As much as I looked up every thing, I STILL didn't know what to do with it.)

> ETC./Whatever Else I Forgot or Left Out

4. Eating Less (but not starving; not eating as heavily)

Heavy is like a meal packed with a bunch of rice or pasta. (My culture is known/notorious for heavy food. Let's take a common get together, for example. There will be rice + peas/beans, potatoes/potato salad, macaroni + cheese, potato stuffing, fig, fungi (cornmeal ball), etc. & a lot of times, it will all be on 1 plate. Woo!! :shock:)

What I Believed: There would be less junk/stuff for my body to process or a reduction in the work my body had to do.

Dealing with My Problem: I still craved a lot of food + was still hungry a lot.

To be honest: It can be hard.

Cost: Not eating as much food & dealing with withdrawal

Duration: As long as you want to do it or from whenever you start to the present

Important: Start slowly & do this over time.

What It Fixed: Feeling Heavy

Background: I tried this the other day & I felt my energy improve. I used to feel lethargic (like Ugh!) just as I would wake up in the morning & when I did that for a few days I felt like a race horse that had just left the gate. I try to do this every other day or eat at least 1 heavy/semi-heavy meal & eat stuff like salad, fruit, etc.

What I Did Before Starting: I just did it. Someone in my house had to fast to go to the doctor & take tests & I wanted to be considerate, as in not eat a bunch of food in front of that person when I know that individual couldn't eat any of it. (I thought that would be really insensitive/piggish of me, if I did that.)

Possible Effect: You might feel better. If you feel bad or like you're in withdrawal, eat a little more.

5. Exercise/Exercise-Related

> Going for a walk (1 mile per day or something like that)

> Doing toning moves with weights

> Yoga was really helpful for my mood/low energy + the issue with my brain (seizure condition) & maybe even concentration.

> I lost 20lbs so far with yoga + eating less + running around doing errands. I do have about 55 more lbs to lose though or minimally anywhere from 35 to 45 lbs. T.T

The point: Whatever it is you want to do to get moving, you don't have to make it overly complex or difficult. It can be as simple as running stairs or running around the block + doing some situps, pushups, squats, etc.

I tried protein powders, but after a point, I got tired of them & then the taste sometimes left a lot to be desired. :roll:

6. Tea: Green, Oolong, Black, White, Red (According to Dr. Tea)

--Helped with my low energy problem

(I usually drink a latte cup full of tea at a time & it's usually my beverage of choice during the day.

Books I used as references include 20, 000 Secrets of Tea by Victoria Zak (p. 49 - 68 especially as it has an index called the Herbal Guide to Health) & The Ultimate Tea Diet by Mark "Dr. Tea" Ukra.... (Recipes for cooking with tea were interesting. I didn't see any/many vegetarian/vegan ones, though.) & Herbs Demystfied by Holly Phaneuf.

I used mountainroseherbs as an online resource.

--With tea, I always chose the one that was not known to cause any problems, the one that should do the least harm.

Tea bags out of the store work just fine. If you want to try out some fun stuff, gunpowder green tea and kukicha twig tea are pretty good.

7. Going Detective/Playing Video Games/Sitting in Front of the Computer with Moderation/Newspaper Games

> This helped with my concentration problem. Rosemary tea also worked wonders. The only problem with the tea is that you might urinate more. It can be calming as well. I often mellowed out after drinking it. I used to drink it a lot every day at one point.

Alright. I don't watch a lot of TV BUT when I do and something interests me, like mysteries, I try to solve them. I'd ask myself, "What's wrong with this picture?" or "Why is this?" or "What are the reasons for ________?"

I guess my hobby is looking at commercials + trying to see possible hidden meanings. For example, one time I noticed that an anti-gambling & pro-gambling commercial played back to back on the channel I was watching at the time.

> Video games (free online or console)/Newspaper Games

Mystery/Puzzle (involves finding objects)
Sudoku Jumble Word Find

Scrabble type games Educational (Vocabulary, Math, Spelling)

RPG (sometimes has puzzles but can be outrageously long)

In some Sonic games I played, for example, I liked trying to figure out which route to take. (The speed can be sort of dizzying in some games, though, if you're not used to it already.)

Vocabulary (Learning/Using New Words

Thinking in two languages (I chose English + Spanish. I don't do it all the time.)

Whatever I chose, I stopped doing it when I felt like I was about to get a headache or become exhausted, as in "Time to Sleep.... Zzzz.....".

8. Facing Things that Bother You Directly/Introspection

> Work through whatever it is & get rid of it as much as possible. If you've got excess baggage, do your best to dump it. It sounds easy but can often be really difficult.

> Believe that you won't be facing whatever it is forever & you're going to come out okay.

9. Vitamins

I used this with moderation. At first, I wasn't taking any & I got a boost when I started. Now, I just do it occasionally if I'm feeling odd & use a liquid vitamin (Liquid Centrum/Daily Complete by Awareness).

The Awareness one can be potent.... I poured like 3/4 of a bottle of that mixed in a bucketful of water on a temperamental pumpkin vine & the plant perked up + bore these absolutely huge pumpkins for months! :shock:

Sometimes when I couldn't find the liquid vitamin I wanted, I would shop at Vitamin Shoppe, for example. They have all sorts of stuff.

10. Aromatherapy

I used naturesgift as a resource as well as Aromatherapy for Healing the Spirit by Gabriel Mojay (Cover with roses on it). Read up on how dilutions are done on the site or get already diluted ones.

Make sure you're not allergic!

Lavender essential oil was very pleasing to me.... so I used that. I tried other things like chamomile & helichrysum. They can be some really heartwarming stuff at times. :-)

I also checked out some hydrosols & neroli or peppermint often boosted my mood. I'd sort of wash my face & then spritz my face with that afterward.

11. Used Less Toxic Soap/Shampoo/Conditioner/Lotion/Body Oil (Items with fewer/simpler ingredients)

I went with liquid castile soap or olive oil soap bars. I started with Olivella (sort of expensive) then went to Kiss My Face (really great bang for your buck, if the water is allowed to drain off from the bars), for example.

If I shopped at an online store for handmade soap, I get samples now 'cause I often get bored with my soap.... ~lol~ Yeah, unfortunately, I even lose interest in my soap.... :oops:

For shampoo, I used a shampoo bar. Those are pretty cool. For conditioner, I used Aubrey's Organics or you should be able to use vinegar or lime or some mixture like that. I don't remember the conditioner/rinse formula exactly, so go look it up if you are going to go this route! I used chagrinvalleysoapandcraft as a resource. They have all sorts of stuff on there.

At first, I couldn't really find a less toxic lotion so I went for a body oil. I have keratosis pilaris, so I tried out avocado oil on my trouble spots & it seemed to work.

Oils can sort of leave a greasy feeling so you may want to use something like grapeseed. Just do some research to find non-greasy carrier oils/body oils that don't trouble your skin.

At one point, I even used less toxic cleaning supplies + laundry detergent (e.g. Sun Earth).

Oh ya! I also used to have this random problem with toothpaste. When I brushed my teeth, I would often feel nauseous afterward. I also used to feel nauseous when I smelled meat cooking & always had to run for some ginger/sniff ginger essential oil so I wouldn't gag or barf. It was something! (& no, I was not ever pregnant!) This went on for a long time, so I used Tom's of Maine or Miessence. Then I remembered plain old baking soda + peroxide.

I loved lip balm + lip gloss, so I picked up the new Chapstick botanicals/naturals + some from chagrinvalleysoapandcraft, for example & a natural soap store where I live.

12. Try to Wane Out Bad Habits Affecting Your Health + Check Your Family History + Pay More Attention to Your Body/How You Feel

---Alcohol ---Drugs ---Anger ---Etc.

> Whatever it is that is a "fault" or not such a great thing to do

As far as I know, it's not really a good idea to drink alcohol + take prescription meds.

> While trying to find something that worked to help me, I took all of this into consideration so I could prevent further illness & sort of save myself from more heartache/harrassment.

13. Thinking More Positively (Even in Stressful Situations)

> Reducing negative self-talk

> I would always think the worst of whatever situation was occurring. I found that it was better to just not think about any thing in particular & LOOK + LISTEN to see what evidence there was for thinking what I thought. Playing detective helped me out a great deal. ~lol~ It was like constantly playing a mini-game or constant self-entertainment.

14. Build a Better Positive Self-Image (if you don't already have one)/ Believing in Yourself More/ Being More Confident/ Being More Hopeful

> After I lost weight, my clothes fit me in a way that wasn't flattering. I saved those bigger shirts for exercise sessions & got ones that looked better on me. In short, I wore my size.

> My school colors were orange + blue... I used to detest those colors, but I was always wearing the same drab dark colors. I added some color to my look & I sort of perked up too, oddly enough. I was always wearing grays + blacks + browns, etc. There's nothing wrong with it, but I found a change helped me big time.

I never used to wear short pants/skort (pants skirt illusion) because I had hair on my legs. Now, I wear almost whatever I want instead of worrying about stuff. I also put on what can be this annoyingly bright red long skirt I have. It's sort of hilarious, so it doesn't bother me too much.

> Since I had gained weight, a lot of my bangles + bracelets didn't fit me, so I really didn't have much of any thing special to wear to spruce up myself. When I cut my hair, it got even worse & my earrings never looked right on me. I always looked wrong somehow or like I lacked something.

Once I figured out what I needed to do, I got some different pieces & I didn't spend an arm + a leg doing it either. I checked out some magnetic jewelry. There are lots of stuff in fun colors that complements + brightens up my look.

Somehow, switching to brighter colors helped my mood. Odd, I know. I don't know what it was exactly. (I've never gravitated to bright colors; actually they usually hurt my eyes, which was why I avoided them for the most part.)

15. Building Better Resilience/ Checking the Coping Mechanism

I was really only able to do this after I started feeling a little better. Before that, it was ultra rough.

16. Fish Oil Pills/Vitamins

> I tried this, but I didn't like them because I got indigestion, so I stopped.

17. Cleaning/Getting Rid of Stuff/Lightening Up/Being Better Organized

> This has helped my mood every time I've done it, but then again I had/have really bad spatial issues. Some days I just don't give two hoots & it won't bother me, but then other days I'll want to run out the room.

Let's see... How do I describe it? It could be deemed (mild?) claustrophobia.

Okay. My current room is small. It was always too small. The plan for the house needed to be modified but no one realized that at the time. With just a bed + dresser, it's already full. I used to have a desk in there, too, but I took it out of there. Space was just too limited. Basically, I've outgrown it. So.... I'm almost always switching it up to have the space or feel in the room I want.

This also happened to me in college, & I got these insanely high bed raisers called Rack Raisers, which elevated the bed high enough for virtually every thing to fit under it. I needed a chair to get up on my bed, but aside from that, I had the illusion of space. The raisers helped me stay organized in such a small space. (I had to stock up on necessities, so that I had them when I needed them. Getting off campus was hard. Sometimes, there were delays in order shipments.)

Even when I went to grad school for a spell, I had an efficiency for a short time & I felt it was small. There was one room for every thing + another room which was the bathroom. That's it. That thing drove me up the wall enough times! AAAAHHHH!!!!

18. Getting Enough Sleep....

Alright. I think this is the end of the list. I hope it is helpful in some way.

Edit: Sunday, July 12, 2009

19. I tried out this powder drink that was in the pantry & it helped me battle my remnants of sluggish feelings. I actually feel alert for once, like some cobwebs cleared or a fog lifted. My headache subsided for the most part.

It's called Ultima Replenisher. It doesn't look harmful....

What are your thoughts? If there are any errors--grammar, whatever--let me know!
Last edited by crystalgaze on Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aim

Postby aim » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks for that informative list! My thoughts are that you seem to have that all together, and you desire to help people at the same time - good for you. This forum is soooo lucky that you are here to share yourself with us. :-)

Did I miss it, or did you skip reading? To me, at least, reading a good book is an essential part of all-over well-being... Just my little addition. Reading helps you escape into another world so you can forget your own problems. I LOVE IT.

crystalgaze

Still Working on It :-)

Postby crystalgaze » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:23 pm

aim wrote:Thanks for that informative list! My thoughts are that you seem to have that all together, and you desire to help people at the same time - good for you. This forum is soooo lucky that you are here to share yourself with us. :-)

Did I miss it, or did you skip reading? To me, at least, reading a good book is an essential part of all-over well-being... Just my little addition. Reading helps you escape into another world so you can forget your own problems. I LOVE IT.

Well, I still don't have every thing together yet. I still get depressed a LOT. When I joined, I was having an off day. When I was writing my profile, I was depressed. I just sort of wore myself out, doing something else. After many hours typing, all I could do is just fall out & go to sleep. :-)

My situation could be much worse, like where I was about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago. I try not to dwell on it any more, since I know that doesn't do me any good (sort of not dwell on it like how loss of interest happens to me). To me, I have survived my lowest point. It really could be much worse. I'm lucky just to be able to walk today. That's good enough for me.

I've been depressed for 15 or so years. It's time for a change....

I'm just glad I improved & started talking about it all. Maybe if we all compare notes more, a solution can be found so we can all function better & hopefully enjoy life too. We deserve it! I'm just not taking the "You're going to be on _____ for the rest of your life" line (BULL! HELL NO!).

Maybe I finally found my fighting spirit???

I am usually very angry now though, so I need to do anger management.... T.T My anger powers me through the times I feel down in the dumps. It's tiring, though.... I'm probably going to get high blood pressure if I don't stop!

It's not good.... It's the same kind of anger I had that I couldn't come down from the day I overdosed. Today it was just bad. I went to the laundry, & I was thoroughly pissed. I just prayed no one would trigger me because I was ready to wail on any one who provoked me.

I am going to find a way to beat it, though, because I don't want an outward or inner manifestation of any thing negative this time around or any time in the future.

The hospitalization for 2 weeks after overdosing is what I do an instant recall of to keep myself on track.

I don't want to EVER go back to a hospital for that again. I've decided I don't care who I have to fight or stand up to to make sure I stay out of that mindset.

I can't allow any one to trigger me, not even myself.... (Not doing negative self-talk is hard! Getting through my death cravings/yearnings/wishes was/is some battle... I still am not sure I dealt with it properly, but I believe I have worked on it to a point. )

That experience at the hospital was the WORST. There are no real words for it, even though I talked about it in another post.

I just wanted to put out what is working/worked for me (non-medication wise). Not many people champion the non-medicine approach. A lot of people think a pill is the cure all for every thing without any other effort. It was my last resort when I noticed I had a problem with the medicine, when those who needed to listen & believe that there were complications refused to, ignored me & left me for dead.

I'm not saying medicine doesn't work. It's worked for me several times! I

I went with the non-medication approach 'cause these were changes I could make myself for the most part (especially eating more healthily, grabbing some exercise, drinking some plain old green tea or black tea, etc.).

There is no need for any one to go through the hardship I went through looking for every thing.

Sometimes it's just the little things or things we don't think about or what we overlook that might help get us where we need/want to be.

aim

Postby aim » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:18 pm

I respect the fact that you are facing your demons head on - that's great for you.

As for me... I am taking an anti-anxiety pill right now. It has been a real life-saver for me. It allows me to see through my cloud of anxiety, and think rationally. I am on 20mgs of Paxil, and have been for about a year now.

Medication is not for everyone, but for someone like me? It works. Sometimes there is a chemical imbalance that only medication can fix. That's just my opinion, anyway.

Good for you that you are refusing to give up. Life is about fighting adversity every step of the way... even if it is adversity that our minds are putting us through.

Monty

Postby Monty » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:38 pm

Crystal,

It is great that you took the time to post your suggestions to us. That was very thoughtful of you.

Pretty well all of your writings I agreed with.
When reading about self-image it made me think that whenI am feeling really low, I usually feel better just with going out and getting a haircut. Seems simple but just makes me feel like I have made an effort to look better. The only problem is that I get my hair cut so short that I often get "sir" for the first week or so after the cut.

It used to bug me, know I threaten to open my shirt (even start of unbottom, don't go too far though, once I start with the first button, the look on their faces is good enough payback for me), just to show them that they are wrong.

Also admire your slant towards being pro-active. Makes a person feel much better if they feel like "darn it, this depression isn't going to win". Has kept me on this planet for a lot longer than I thought I could.

I am like Amy, I have a chemical imbalance which means that I will have to take meds for the rest of my life. I would be able to do other things that you have suggested to help the situation.

Hang in there. Looking forward to hearing from you again.

nighthouse66

Thank you .....

Postby nighthouse66 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:42 am

This is filled with alot of insightful information. It takes it all the way, even to the things that one uses for cosmetic purposes that is often overlooked as being a source of toxins or allergens.
I have suffered off and on with depression for years, and for me the key i believe is avoiding wheat and avoiding MSG. which brings me to a point i would like to make-
Braggs Amino Acids are filled with MSG. it is processed using hydrochloric acid. The ramen noodles also have MSG. MSG goes by many, many names now. It is known as hydrolyzed proteins (soy, wheat, corn, vegetable), textured vegetable protein is loaded with the stuff, and yeast extract, soy extract, cassein, calcium cassenate, and a bewildering variety of other chemicals either have it in their makeup or are simply slightly different versions of the same thing. even tuna often has it in it in the form of "natural flavors" or "vegetable flavoring". this is dangerous stuff, and i think one of the foundations of our present wave of bi-polar disorders, depression, anxiety, autism, ADDHD and ADD. Please make sure you are getting a minimum of this stuff. But it sounds like you have a really good handle on the overall picture and it really took some time to write, and something i will read again. I hope others will too. Cheers! :)

aim

Postby aim » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:10 pm

Hey nighthouse! :-) That was some informative list you put on there too! So many smart folks here... going natural is definitely a trend and a way to go to help with many many problems. My chiropractor talks about it all the time, actually.

nighthouse66

Postby nighthouse66 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:29 am

I really like what someone else said here as well that maybe if we all put our heads together and compare notes, we might come up with something that helps all of us. I really hope everyone checks out the excitotoxin angle, aspartame and hidden MSG, to determine if any of their problems stem from this. I have just gotten off the stuff myself and will be sure to write back to let you guys know what sort of effect it has on my own depression, which really kicked up about the time i stopped dairy and started using Mocha Mix creamer and Silk soymilk (they both have glutamate in various versions). I threw all of it out today! Also people who are vegetarian need to be very careful because everything Morningstar Farms makes has various forms of MSG in it. The government/FDA only asks that food companies list MSG as an ingredient if it is 99 percent or more. In other words, an ingredient like hydrolyzed soy protein could have and often does have anywhere between 75 and 98 percent MSG in it, but because it isn't 99 percent or more, they don't have to list it. SO be careful people! :idea:

crystalgaze

Thanks!

Postby crystalgaze » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:37 pm

Hi every one! Thank you for posting & adding your suggestions! It helps a lot!

Nighthouse, you are correct with what you've said. I am still still still learning. m(^_^)m Thanks for the correction!

My loved one helped me get some more information from a lady up the street. She said magnesium supplements worked for her. I'm going to read up on it to see if there might be something to what she said.

Hhmm.... The latest thing I did was to prepare some brown pasta.... :lol: It's probably pretty obvious, but I finally figured how to make it brown without any kind of sauce..... So.... I just added a few black tea bags to the water for a few minutes & voila brown pasta, just like what you get when you order lo mein from a Chinese restaurant.

nighthouse66

Postby nighthouse66 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:07 am

hey, that's a fun idea! the visual is always connected to our taste buds, so it definitely helps make it more appetizing! one thing i would like to try is ground ginger and garlic and make a paste to spoon over pasta. kind of like an asian themed pesto, and you could just keep that in the fridge.
magnesium- i am going to the store tomorrow to get some. i realized i probably haven't been getting enough for years now.
yay for us! :P

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:43 am

Okay. An interesting thing happened in the time while I was n't here on the forum. Ready?

Well I bought this Jasmine soap from http://flintcreeksoap.com/Default.aspx & I gotta tell you: I have no idea why, but the soap made me SO happy. The person mostly sells on eBay I believe: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Flint-Creek ... QQ_armrsZ1

The 2 sites seem to be the same.

Unlike soap I've gotten from other companies, I felt 'healed' by it. I don't really have an explanation for it, though. That was my hunch.

The soap made me wonder if there can be healing through soap? Of course, I don't have an answer for that yet.)

Also, I was talking to someone who said that they were depressed as well & that what had happened is that they had a mineral imbalance. They were particularly low on selenium & that's what worked for them. I did some searching around + heard that you can do tests by blood, urine or hair, with hair supposedly being the most reliable.

I am not entirely sure, though but wanted to pass on what I found. More research is needed.

xn728

so glad for you

Postby xn728 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:30 am

hi crystalgaze im really glad to see someone so positive ,its good to see you having that control well ,done ,ive tryed lots of things in my long life with depprestion ,and im very tired now ,so these days i just go were it takes me ,i like posting here it make me feel useful ,i have the odd fit of madness ,like deleting all my posts ,but we,ll thats my visitor ,but im putting some back on now .it hurts here though i really do feel others pain and it frustrates me i cant help more ,but you have great strength .well done again ,,xn728,,,ken

aim

Postby aim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:27 pm

((((Gaze)))) ((((Ken))))

Ken is right, Gaze. You do have this incredible spirit and you are always looking for new ways to help yourself. It's really great to see. You will find your way out of this, Gaze. It's obvious.

Ken - your presence and your words help so much!! So glad you are re-posting some things... you've been missed.

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:17 pm

I try. I try. I try. I hope I can affect others with my positive spirit. Maybe one day, it might ease some of the burden. I don't know.

Ah, I have my bad days, but I just try. I think what keeps me going is that I do not want to go back to the place where I was when I attempted suicide.

That was scary as $#%&*. It's like I became another person or like a bystander in my own body/life or like I wasn't even in my own body or like my hand was not my own. That was just way too scary.

There was something so totally unnerving about the whole thing. I was so gone I really didn't think I would ever get myself back at all--not even a piece or a slice. Maybe I'm still gone, & just don't know it.....

Starting from zero or even -1 with my 2nd chance feels like a reset of sorts. I'm here, so I might as well make the best of it. :wink: I also only have me. No one else is going to do what I need to do for me. Actually, I think even if someone would, it's probably not even possible.

My other question is: Why must I suffer? / Do I always have to suffer? (I mean, can't there be any thing else? While I don't know for certain, there's got to be some way I, too & others with our illness, can have happiness. We deserve it & we, too, are worthy. As long as we have HOPE, we can WIN--every last one of us. We may not see how we win or we may not win in the way we want to win, but a win's a win & a win is a win only if you can see it or else you won't know you won. (I hope that's not confusing.)

~lol~ Maybe I've been looking at too many Sonic video game clips on Youtube or listening to too much video game music. I like Sonic the Hedgehog + most of the cast of characters. Sonic stands out the most 'cause I have never him seen him give up. While he's a fictional character, the idea + message is useful.... It's something I can buy into for a bit. Probably where my "Later for you, depression" attitude comes from is from another character in the same series, which is Shadow.

On a more serious note, depression just keeps robbing people. It's like the burglar we can't catch.... I don't want it to rob me any more than it already has. So many doors + walls keep closing in on me (like in those Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider/The Mummy/The Matrix movies with all those traps, but I gotta hold at least one open if I'm going to survive.

That's the other thing: While depression has us to buy into negative & destructive thoughts, deeds, & words, can't we be allowed to buy into something else?

I do get tired.... Woo! It takes a lot of energy to be like this! Maybe it's because I'm hyper & doing this makes use of that energy, so it is not wasted. ~lol~ I feel a little guilty sometimes, though, because this quest is like playing a video game, except every thing is for real.

It's amazing what people say when I manage to talk to them just briefly. It's unbelievable how they are willing to share & unbelievable how many of us are hurting.

There is 1 last reason for trying to be upbeat & the best way to describe it is ying & yang. I am not sure if healing/better coping can take place if there isn't a balance between negative + positive in a place.

Well, that's what I'm doing here out in the open. This is the educated way of saying that, but actually where I am from, since we are still superstitious for the most part, we are usually aiming for a balance with what is done.

For example, every now & then, some people I've seen smoke their houses with incense (frankincense + myrrh or something like that) as a way of keeping "spirits"/jumbies/negative energy from gathering in one place or one place for too long.

It's sort of like how I've been hearing people say, "Think outside the box." Well, to me, this forum is like a house & we can't have the house springing leaks on us when it rains & we need it.

& of course, ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Ken))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Amy)))))))))))))))))))))). :D Right back at ya!

Oh gosh, that was long! :lol:

I also found something to help with getting your recommended fruit intake. Bolthouse has these beverages that are like smoothies. They don't taste too sweet either. I am looking for ways to get more fiber & that has about 4g per serving. :)

crystalgaze

Postby crystalgaze » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:37 am

Well.... I finally managed to find a way to sleep on my stomach without a problem (e.g. hurting my neck or something like that)....

I have 2 pillows on the bed, so I put one each under my shoulder blades & I woke up this morning okay. :D

Edit: In another post, I talked about how my digestive system would be distressed. Okay. Well. Somehow, I got the idea to take some Propolis & for the most part, that has helped a lot.

I also have not been hyper for the last few days, but I don't know if that had any thing to do with it.

Return to “Your Story”