Depression and Writing

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

BrokenPen

Postby BrokenPen » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:29 am

I do wonder if there is something masochistic about being a writer in how I willingly open myself up to someone and then be stabbed in the back.

What I mean by that is that a while ago I had shown some of my stuff to a guy named Phil Tousignant who goes by the name "phan2angel7" at deviantart.com.

He looked at my stuff and said, "No wonder you're not published. You have the pacing of a three-year-old trying to re-enact 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'."

Really did hurt me with that. Plus coupled with a lot of the issues that I deal with - when hit with criticism (if you could call it that) like that it does break you in a way. I tried to tell him so and he responded with:

"You are the most spineless person I ever met! Man up! Get a spine! Grow a pair!"

It is often said that sticks and stones will break bones but words will never hurt.

I would disagree.

Words are like poison. Just like after the bite of a snake, a spider, or something else that's venomous, the toxic brew works its way through the ear and into the mind and psyche where it begins its slow rotting process.

Especially for people like - wouldn't you say so?

xn728

ive read your work ,its very good

Postby xn728 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:02 pm

so you showed this guy your stuff and he took you down .like a true depprestion sufferer you will turn your back ,and the insults will fall to the floor and be no,more.then you will rise up and realise he was that shocked at the brilliant peace you had shown him that all he could do was dribble rubbish at you ,while in his mind he franticly searched for some of his work that had,nt been made to look like shit paper,by yours .
you will be strong and keep the demons at bay ,ps he,s still looking now
xn728,,,,,,,,,,,

aim

Postby aim » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Words do hurt... very very much. It's difficult to develop the thick skin needed for careers like writing - and even what I do. But it IS possible. It takes time and confidence, and one day you will get there. I'm expecting to get there any day now myself...

BrokenPen

Postby BrokenPen » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:10 pm

aim wrote:Words do hurt... very very much. It's difficult to develop the thick skin needed for careers like writing - and even what I do. But it IS possible. It takes time and confidence, and one day you will get there. I'm expecting to get there any day now myself...

Which is why I'm starting to think about writing under a pen name instead of my real name.

Biggest reason is because my last name is of Mexican origin and as racist as it may sound - when you have a Mexican last name people do seem to expect certain things for you to write about. They expect you to write about the Mexican people, the hardships of being Latino in America, and so on. They don't really expect you to write fantasy, science fiction, or horror.

aim

Postby aim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:59 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with using a pen name to battle the ignorance of others. Years ago, before it was acceptable for women to write, they used men's names. Sounds similar to me. Or just initials, maybe? Good luck, let us know what you come up with.

Return to “Your Story”