Depression and Writing

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

BrokenPen

Postby BrokenPen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:00 pm

nerdgirl1968 wrote:is there somewhere on here I can read some of your work? Not to critique. Just interested.

Actually there are a couple of places outside of this forum where my work is posted.

First is at a place called "FictionPress.net" where I go by the name "GeorgeBachman" ---> http://www.fictionpress.com/~georgebachman

Then there's "FanFiction.net" where I go by the name "TattooAlchemist" ----> http://www.fanfiction.net/~TattooAlchemist

aim

Postby aim » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:00 am

I agree! I would love to read some of it myself!

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:16 am

Ah, brokenpen... women mature with age! My sweetie right now is a nice, sensitive wonderful man, and I would not trade him for all the money in the world!

Good you have that in your life Amy.

aim

Postby aim » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:56 am

Thanks, Jeanie. Appreciate your regards... how are you? well, I hope!

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:06 pm

YW Amy.

((((((((((((( BrokenPen)))))))))))))))))
Though if only that were true most of the time. My experience is that women don't usually like nice guys. And I should know since I'm usually the one cast aside for a guy who treats the girl like a used sock.

I would prefer the nice guy myself. Been the other route and it isn't an easy thing to live through. Please know your style is appreciated.

Warmie/Jeanie

Monty

Postby Monty » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:57 pm

Having been following this thread with interest.

Thanks for posting where we all can get a chance to read some of your work.

I have a child that is very academically inclined, so this is not meant as a slam again those people who are very accomplished with the schooling area, but sometimes I have wondered if some teachers and such, have gotten to the point that they are in the profession just because they are very adept in the art of reguritation.

Wonder if they are unable to form proper thought processes on their own.

Sounds like probably that prof was one of them.

aim

Postby aim » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:32 pm

Good observation on that one, Monty!!! Teachers get stale and they get holier than thou, often. They think they are teaching people who are not as good as them- NOT ALL teachers, but some. I've had some wonderful teachers and some horrible ones, myself. Love most teachers, but one that like? Can't really post the word I think someone like that is.

My theory? I am no better than anyone else. No one else is better than me. Keeps me going. Keeps me positive, and keeps me friendly. :-) People often forget that they are no better than anyone else, huh?

BrokenPen

Postby BrokenPen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:37 pm

aim wrote:Good observation on that one, Monty!!! Teachers get stale and they get holier than thou, often. They think they are teaching people who are not as good as them- NOT ALL teachers, but some. I've had some wonderful teachers and some horrible ones, myself. Love most teachers, but one that like? Can't really post the word I think someone like that is.

My theory? I am no better than anyone else. No one else is better than me. Keeps me going. Keeps me positive, and keeps me friendly. :-) People often forget that they are no better than anyone else, huh?

If only this woman who called herself my advisor had kept that in mind.

It certainly reinforces the idea that there are no bad students, just bad teachers.

aim

Postby aim » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:53 pm

Well, brokenpen... some students are pretty bad though, aren't they? :-) But yes, I get your point.

Teachers have a great responsibility on their hands and it they choose to embrace it, it is not only rewarding for them, but they touch many lives at the same time. And there are some amazing teachers out there.... please don't judge them all by the one rotten apple you got, ok?

BrokenPen

Postby BrokenPen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:17 pm

aim wrote:Well, brokenpen... some students are pretty bad though, aren't they? :-) But yes, I get your point.

Teachers have a great responsibility on their hands and it they choose to embrace it, it is not only rewarding for them, but they touch many lives at the same time. And there are some amazing teachers out there.... please don't judge them all by the one rotten apple you got, ok?

Oh I don't. Such as I have a creative writing instructor who's far more supportive as well as nurturing.

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:52 pm

((((((((((((((( Broken ))))))))))))))))

Not all teachers are bad. Don't judge all by the actions of one. Remember also, those teachers were students at some point in their lives.

Warmie

aim

Postby aim » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:48 pm

Speaking as someone who took many creative writing classes in college, I can say that most of my great teachers were in the English department! Both writing professors and literature professors.

I do have to add this though.

I have never been good at math of any kind. It has been a block in my brain ever since I was 10 years old and learning how to tell time! I managed to avoid the really difficult math classes through high school, but then, when I went to the University, I was faced with it again.

To make a long story short, I was able to finally pass Math, and pass it well with one very special professor. Mr. Jamader. He was patient, kind and understanding, and did not make you feel stupid if you could not figure out Math. I got an A- in Math that semester... the first time in my life I did not get a C or worse.

I went through three horrid Math professors until I found this one great one.

Just wanted to share that one with you all...

BrokenPen

Postby BrokenPen » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:02 pm

aim wrote:Speaking as someone who took many creative writing classes in college, I can say that most of my great teachers were in the English department! Both writing professors and literature professors.

I do have to add this though.

I have never been good at math of any kind. It has been a block in my brain ever since I was 10 years old and learning how to tell time! I managed to avoid the really difficult math classes through high school, but then, when I went to the University, I was faced with it again.

To make a long story short, I was able to finally pass Math, and pass it well with one very special professor. Mr. Jamader. He was patient, kind and understanding, and did not make you feel stupid if you could not figure out Math. I got an A- in Math that semester... the first time in my life I did not get a C or worse.

I went through three horrid Math professors until I found this one great one.

Just wanted to share that one with you all...

Wish I coudl say the same about the math professors I had.

aim

Postby aim » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:59 am

Yes, I was so lucky to have ended up in this math teacher's class - it was like a different world!!! Can't say I love or even like math now, but I can say that I got through it, and got through it well. :-)

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:13 am

(((((((( Brokenpen )))))))))))))))))

You posted:

To begin, I’ve always wanted to be a writer

Follow your dream, obstacles will appear, just don't give up on the dream.

Warmie/Jeanie

Return to “Your Story”