Unsure what depression is and if I have it. Please help

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

CY

Unsure what depression is and if I have it. Please help

Postby CY » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Ok so I always think of depression as a condition that you have when you have had major life problems. I use to think all the time that too many people "claim" their life is terrible when they live very privileged lifes compared to others. I'm not really sure where im at and im hoping for some feedback. Some of the problems im facing are not knowing who i am, not having a passion for anything, not being good at anything, failing college, not meeting my parents expectations, feeling alone with no friends(i often go sit in parklots for hours to make my family think i have friends), and getting overly upset about stupid things i do and what other people think about me. I have created this false personalty that I thought people would like and yet I dont even know what I like. Im sorry if this is confusing as i dont have any friends and I just need someone to talk to.

CitM

Postby CitM » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:22 am

I don't know if that is all really depression. Certainly the negative thinking can be a symptom of depression. But it could also be an issue of being in a negative mindset, which a therapist could help you break through.

Believe me, I know what you are saying. I have been in that situation too many times myself. Usually, what I find is that if you change just one thing, other things change also, usually for the better.

Have you tried seeing a therapist that is provided by most universities for at least 10 weeks? Otherwise, one thing you could do is join a campus activities or outreach group that you might be interested in. You may find your energy level go up and your negative thoughts might lessen. You may even make some friends.

Return to “Your Story”