Social Media Sadness

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Tes2525

Social Media Sadness

Postby Tes2525 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:52 pm

Does anyone else get depressed when they log on to facebook, Twitter, ect.? I notice that I compare myself to others when I browse those sites, and sometimes it seems that everyone has a better life than than I do according to the things they post. I know this isn't always true, and I know I should stop thinking that way.. I would like to actually get rid of my accounts because I think I spend too much time on them, and they are kind of a waste of time anyway. Does anyone else ever get social media sadness? And if you do, how do you cope? Thank you.

Doogie

Postby Doogie » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:38 am

Hi Tes2525,

Yes, I actually deleted pretty much everyone but family on my fb account. I was feeling the exact same way...spending way to much time on it. I actually deactivated mine for a while just to force myself to do something else.

They actually did a study and it does make people depressed much like looking at fashion magazines etc. People are trying to make their posts as interesting and exciting as possible and your comparing yourself to something that may not be what you reading or seeing.

windsongB

Postby windsongB » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:16 am

Hi Tess2525, I'm glad you posted this because I thought it was just me! But now I know it isn't. I get quite bummed out reading everyone's news on FB. I realize that a lot of it is pumped up to sound better than it truly is, but it still gets to me. Another thing that bothers me is that when I do post (which is very seldom), my uncaring, rude family doesn't even respond. No matter what the post is! What kind of sister does that??? I try not to be that way in return. But I sincerely doubt she sees it as anything other than she's just more important than I am. I deactivate occasionally as well. Kind of a self preservation thing.

Subject_Zero

Postby Subject_Zero » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:45 am

Actually I think those people who post so much on social media pages like FB or Twitter are in fact very unhappy. Remember girls that they show you just what they want you to see and the truth is probably more grim and not so cheerful. You on the other hand you know who you are, you know that you're good hearted, polite, understanding, with lots of empathy, smart and intelligent.
They are...selfish, not so smart and hollow.
You are so much better!
Don't envy, there really is nothing worth it there.

Angelwings77

Postby Angelwings77 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:30 pm

I honestly don't bother to post on social media accounts. I check in maybe twice a month. I refuse to keep in contact with people that way. I feel if your important, we should use traditional forms of communication. I don't have the energy to look at facebook to see if a person died or some other thing. That's information you need to provide the old fashion way call a person. Not #grandma died. It's stupid .

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:56 pm

I don't get depressed with accounts like FB, because I don't give em' any time. ;-)

Angelwings77, I don't know if you meant any humor in your "#grandma" remark, you got a good laugh out of me! (something needed on a site like this)

In my opinion, FB, and sites like it, are "try to be popular" sites. Farce book. Haha.

Angelwings77

Social media depression

Postby Angelwings77 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:28 am

4EverMe wrote:I don't get depressed with accounts like FB, because I don't give em' any time. ;-)

Angelwings77, I don't know if you meant any humor in your "#grandma" remark, you got a good laugh out of me! (something needed on a site like this)

In my opinion, FB, and sites like it, are "try to be popular" sites. Farce book. Haha.

Yes that was meant to be humorous, lol. I'm glad you laughed. Sometimes despite my depression I have those moments where I just need a good laugh and sometimes social media provides it with those # . It can be crazy the things people put on there. I've never seen that particular one but I wouldn't be shocked if I did.

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:48 pm

Ha !

No. I get depressed because I can't even figure out how to operate facebook, or Twitter, or a Smartphone, in the first freaking place !!!!

I scored 151 on a legit IQ test a few years ago.... but my extensive list of hard core issues could easily lead one into believe I was a freaking retard :(

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:46 pm

Using the word "retard" isn't cool until you're with people who know you.

I know what you mean ... and my personal definition of "retard" includes Wayne and Garth, and Beevis and Butthead vs. Harry and Loyd from Dumb and Dumber or Jim Carrey or Forest Gump. Needs to be a word for socially inept in a self-destructive kind of way.

Return to “Your Story”