New and depressed

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

jeg33

New and depressed

Postby jeg33 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:44 pm

I am new here so I am not sure how this works, so here I go with a little about me.

I am currently on disability, so I do not work, therefore I live at home with my parents. It is not always to bad but lately this have been bad. I have been dealing with major depression for awhile. It has it's good days and bad days. Right now I am going through a bad time. I work with my therapist and she is very helpful, but with no support at home it makes it difficult. I have no friends and no other support to talk to. I also deal with self-harm issues. I can not move out because things will get worse. When I am alone I do not do anything but sleep, so with my parents around I have to get up and do things.

I wish I had someone to confide in but I don't and I struggle with just being able to get out of bed in the morning. I count down the hours until I can go back to sleep.

saragupta

Postby saragupta » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:32 am

Hello jeg
i read ur post. I totally can understand how it feels. See living confided in ur home wud make depression more worse only. And u know it. U really want to get back to normal attitude of yours, that's why u joined this forum and discussing ur life. So u shld start thinking about Wat u can do about it rather than how and what made u this way. U can let me know Wat kind of disability u r suffering from so that i cud try to suggest a few things u can do to cheer urself up in a good way.
Jeg, it May sound a little bit weird and stupid but u know whenever i find myself at the peak of depression i either make a bedside lamp, or try to cook something new or just try to to pick old dried out leaves from my plants.. It really feels great. I mean looking at ur own hand made lamp, reading the light out of that self painted thin paper make u smile. And when u taste that cookie made by u in a new style but oops u just can't take its second bite because it's horrible...u get a chance to laugh out loud on urself. It will bring out the hidden kid in u. We all have.
Looking at plants appropriately trimmed and ploughed soil, trust me it will be a treat to eyes.

Ur disability May not allow u to do all this but there can be a lot more stuff. I ve just given u examples here. If u will stay happy it will be good for both u and ur parents.
Please don't give up!
Because trust me if u gave up ur anger and frustration will hamper first of all YOU and then relation between u and ur parents. But u r here, and here there are so many ppl who suffer from the similar emotions so they are willing to help ppl like them. Helping others to become happy is also a one sure shot way that makes us happy!
Coz i am feeling a little bit happy just after replying u. I know i haven't helped u as yet.
Let me know about ur disability and ur interests and qualifications...we both will try to make something good and interesting out of it. Okay.

Alaska1958

Postby Alaska1958 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:10 am

Hi Jeg,

It's tough being stuck at home. I tried to get on disability a few months ago, but ran across a problem. At 55 I've had problems with depression most of my life, but I was always able to work until this last year.

What is your situation like? Is your relationship with your parents good? Do you have brothers and sisters?

Are you able to get out much?

Tell us about yourself when you get a chance.

Alaska1958

Postby Alaska1958 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:26 am

I know what you mean about sleeping all the time and not wanting to get out of bed. I have the same problem. I have my boys over fairly often, but when I'm alone it's really hard to stay focused and get anything done.

Return to “Your Story”