Vitamin D3 cured my anxiety, depression, and panic disorder

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Ali

Vitamin D3 cured my anxiety, depression, and panic disorder

Postby Ali » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:06 am

Vitamin D3 Cured my Anxiety, Depression, and Panic Disorder

Hello:

I suffred from depression, anxiety, and panic disorder for a few decades. One day, accidentally, I read something about vitamin D3, and depression on the Net, which ultimately changed my life.

A few months after reading the article, I decided to go for a routine check up, and blood test. This time, I asked for a vitamin D3 test to be included. The test result showed that I was deficient on vitamin D3 !!!

After visiting a doctor known for his work on vitamins, and amino acids deficiencies, I got 300,000 IU (International Units) monthly injections of vitamin D3. Three days after receiving the first injection, the depression started lifting, and in the second month, all symptoms of depression, anxiety, and panic attacks vanished. It has been 18 months since the first injection. I am on a maintenance dose of vitamin D3. There is no doubt that I have been cured, 100%.

The first question that will pop up in your over exhausted heads is that why the doctors do not know much about the curing power of vitamin D3 ? Dr. S. Zaidi is an Assitant Professor of Medicine at UCLA. In general terms, he answers the above question in his book, Power Of Vitamin D:

"Why hasn't my Doctor told me about all the beneficial effects
of Vitamin D ?"

"Unfortunately, This exciting new knowledge about vitamin D hasn't reached the radar screen of most physicians, nor has it reached the curriculum of medical schools. Why? Because no drug company is behind it. It's not a drug. it's cheap and you can obtain it over the counter. Unfortunately, most of our medical research, medical guidelines for practicing physicians and medical knowledge in text books is dependent upon drug companies one way or another. Sad but true! It may take years before this revolutionary knowledge finds its way into medical books and physician's offices."

Well, the above quotation should answer some of your questions.

By arranging for a vitamin D3 (25-OH) blood test, you will know the level of vitamin D3 in your body. If your test result is low, which most likely it will be, please take the lab papers to an up to date doctor, and ask him/her to put you on high doses of vitamin D3. It is very important that you go to an up to date doctor before you start your medications--don't forget it please.

Vitamin D3 treatment has worked for me, and many others. There is a good chance that it could work for you also, if you are low on this vital vitamin. Your feedback on your progress will highly be appreciated.

Best wishes,
Ali

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Hmmm, I am VERY interested...I suffer from all you have described. If I truly could take this vitamin and it help ME this way??! I'd dive right into it. On my health insurance, I doubt I'd get the injections. How much should a person start out with if buying over-the-counter? Meaning what dosage?

Yes, I am sure there are natural cures the drug industry would frown upon. Thankyou for your post Ali. :)

Alaska1958

My experience with vitamin D

Postby Alaska1958 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi, back in the 70s and 80s I worked in my family's health food store. We sold lots of vitamin and mineral supplements. I even went out of state to study the benefits of supplementation for a variety of reasons. So I'm good with using supplements and have known a lot of people who were avid believers.

That being said, I also have a skeptical side that has seen so many fads come and go that I'm warry of most claims.

I remember when DLPA came out back in the early 80s. This is a natural occurring amino acid phenylalanine. It was supposed to help with depression so I tried it. For a while it really seemed to help and I became a big promoter of it. As you can guess, it didn't hold up and the fad came and went.

There's no arguing with success though and if it's helping you, great more power to you.

I have my own reason for taking high dose vitamin D. Back in 2000 I had gastric bypass surgery, a fairly drastic version that few surgians would have performed. But I weighed 500 pounds and had very serious eating issues. I still do. I lost 300 pounds in 18 months and said goodbye to diabetes, hypertension and sleep apnea. That was great, but after a few years I started having nutritional issues. For instance I'm now 2 inches shorter than the 6'2"that I used to be. I came to a time when I couldn't walk very far and couldn't raise either leg more than a few inches. My doctor, who is careful about checking my blood for nutrition issues, already knew I was pretty short of calcium. I couldn't seem to take enough calcium to make it up. So she put me on a daily dose of 100, 000 iu of D. I still suffer from osteoporosis, but at least I can walk pretty well.

Anyway, that's my story. Best of luck to you.

Alaska1958

One more thing

Postby Alaska1958 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:04 pm

When my doctor first put me on 50,000 vitamin D (two per day), the pharmacy refused to fill the prescription until the pharmacist talked to the doctor to confirm that was really what she meant. It's a huge dose and I only take that much because of the trouble I have absorbing nutrients. FYI I pay $36 for a bottle of 100 capsules.

On another note, I started having trouble with night blindness a few years ago. I saw two different optometric doctors about it. They both found problems, but nothing that caused my blindness. I finally decided to try vitamin A and what do you know, within a couple of weeks my vision was much better.

Ali

Postby Ali » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi:

In the U.S. injections are not available for the public without prescription.
Oral supplementation of vitamin D3 is available readily at any drugstore.

The best way is to get tested first, and then start getting supplemented under the care of an up to date doctor. However, if you have money, or insurance problems for this test, the other alternative is:

1. Start taking 8000 IU (International Units) of vitamin D3 oraly (pills, gells, etc.) on daily basis only for 8 weeks.

2. If your problem is vitamin D3, the positive effects should appear within the first 4 weeks of taking the pills.

3. Upon feeling better, you must raise the level of vitamin D3 in your blood to more than 50 ng/ml (125 nmol/L) for the rest of your life in
order to have a normal mental, and physical condition. All this must be done under the care of an up to date doctor.

4. As it is said that vitamin D3 levels of above 100 ng/ml (250 nmol/L)
may be a sign of toxicity, care must be taken under the supervision of a physician not to exceed the above mentined levels.

5. 8000 IU of vitamin D3 for 8 weeks will not make you toxic, due to the fact that in 8 weeks your total intake of this vitamin is only 11.2 mgs.

Best of luck,
Ali

Ali

Postby Ali » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi Alaska1958:

Have you checked your blood level for vitamin D recently ?
If so, what is your level now, and what is your maintenance dose ?

Best wishes,
Ali

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:42 pm

Hi Ali,
Thankyou for the additional info. I'm interested in giving this a try, if I can first manage some major hurdles in my life. I don't believe I have an 'up to date' primary care physician. Don't believe a doctor like you're mentioning would accept my type of insurance neither.

But I guess it would'nt hurt to try a healthy dose of Vitamin D3 supplements. Thanks for your quick response back Ali!

Alaska1958

Don't know about current levels

Postby Alaska1958 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:01 am

I lost my health insurance a year ago last March so I haven't been tested lately. Don't get me started on the health insurance system here in the USA. It's one of my pet peves.

4EverMe

Postby 4EverMe » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:34 am

Hmmm. Tempting....But I will leave O-care alone. Suuuch an obomination! Hahaha!--I'm sorry.

james442

nice

Postby james442 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Hmmm, I am VERY interested...I suffer from all you have described. If I truly could take this vitamin and it help ME this way??! I'd dive right into it. On my health insurance, I doubt I'd get the injections. How much should a person start out with if buying over-the-counter? Meaning what dosage?

Yes, I am sure there are natural cures the drug industry would frown upon. Thankyou for your post Ali.

Thanks for sharing this topic.

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:39 am

Look up the effects of Vitamin D ... it can be poison:

The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause poor appetite, nausea and vomiting. Weakness, frequent urination and kidney problems also may occur. Treatment includes the stopping of excessive vitamin D intake.

If possible talk to someone with training about what you're doing. Kidney Problems can be deadly.

DurandalBlue

Postby DurandalBlue » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:26 pm

I had mine tested and I was only at 15 ng/ml. I got it up to 50 and I am going to get checked again tomorrow.

If you buy D3 supplements at the vitamin store that should suffice. You don't need a prescription from the doctor. I don't trust doctors and I'm glad I didn't trust mine. He gave me a prescription but it was for D2 which is not the right kind for humans.

At first I took 10,000 but decided to back down to 8,000 which is what Ali suggested so I agree with him. Supposedly it helps for sleep apnea too. Unfortunately it didn't cure mine though.

100footpole

Postby 100footpole » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:38 am

What a great post.

I also don't trust Drs.

I believe it is up to me to control my own health.

I like how you had your Blood Tested to certify that you indeed had a lack of the vitamin. I might talk to my Dr. about a D3 test instead of the normal cholesterol that I normally pay for.

I think this is a great thread to chase down if you have access to medical care and tests. I don't think its good to self-medicate without conferring with a medical professional.

Your Doctor is a consultant, not a jailer. Ask them to explain their reasoning for prescribing, and then confirm the information up on the internet.

specter

Two Deficiencies

Postby specter » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:28 pm

A lot of people seem to struggle with vitamin D levels as well as vitamin B 12 levels. This also seems to go for people who eat meat, which would seem illogical since the best sources of vitamin B 12 are found mostly in fish and calf liver. What this says to me is that there is apparently something wrong with the body's ability to absorb B 12 from meat. This can be said for me, at least. Can't honestly speak for anyone else because there are some people out there who eat calf liver and have wonderful B 12 levels. On the other hand, I do have to say that I worry about their cholesterol.

Most of my life I have been a meat eater. I ate calf liver once in a blue moon, but I also ate a lot of fish. I ate it several times a week and then some. I ate tuna fish, which has a high content of B 12. When I was admitted to a mental hospital back in April 2015, I had my blood drawn several times. What they found was that I had extremely low vitamin B 12 levels. I was given some shots and I was told that I needed follow-up shots, but sadly, they refused to give the rest to me. Later on, I had even more blood tests done. The results were that my D2 levels were incredibly low. Solution: doctor prescribed me D2 pills that I had to take once a day, twice a week, for three months.

Now, somewhere in between the time that this was all happening, what I found out was that the cholesterol levels in the foods I was eating in order to get the nutrients that I needed was very high. While I'm not "well in my ages", I have struggled with being severely overweight for the majority of my life. I did whatever I could to lose weight and eat less. I ate so little that I ended up developing those two nutrient deficiencies. What I didn't want to do was keep dealing with having a lot of body fat, but at the same time, I didn't want to be malnourished as well as deprive myself of food. Eating animal-based foods made me keep the weight on, and the less animal-based food I ate, the more weight I dropped. I lost so much weight that I feel a lot better and I am healthier for it.

I became vegan because dairy has always given me negative symptoms as well as increase the severity of my constipation. Most meats caused me indigestion and tremendous weight gain.

It's very tedious for vegans to get sources of vitamin D and vitamin B 12 in their diet. I learned the hard way that we have to pay very close to the nutrients that we get and find smart ways to get it. It wasn't before my deficiencies that I cared too much about my own nutrition, but it's something that I've started to pay close attention to over the time that I became vegan. Sources of D2 for vegans are foods like OJ, portobello mushrooms, and nut milk. Sources of B 12 for vegans are usually found in nutritional yeast as well as nut milk. Marmite is also a decent source of B 12, but it's sold mostly in European countries. Perhaps not so much in the US. I haven't seen any in the US at all. I definitely wanted to buy it in order to try it. Might do that one day. We'll see.

... I can say that I feel a little better after taking D3. The worst part is that they put gelatin in supplements, which is not vegan. It's either I take them when I need them -- as much as a love portobellos, it's a real pain to have to eat them several times a week to keep my D2 levels up -- or I don't take them at all suffer the consequences of the deficiency. It's a balancing act between taking supplements for B 12 and eating nutritional yeast flakes in my food. I try to stick to using the yeast flakes, but there are times when it's more feasible to take the supplements. The yeast flakes are vegan. I have also balanced between taking the D3 pills as well as drinking OJ and eating copious amounts of portobellos. It didn't turn out so well. I'm not yet sure if I will keep that up again or go ahead and just stick to the D3 supplements.

My point is that people can suffer from those two deficiencies, whether they eat meat or whether they don't eat meat. Vitamin D seems to be a big concern for almost anyone, no matter their diet.

An argument that I have going on in my head -- I won't bother bringing it up to a doctor because we tend to live in a day in age where taking a pill is easier than eating a healthy meal -- is that the fact that it is a need for people to take supplements is a concern that something is wrong with their diet in the first place. It's a call to change the diet so that a supplement should not be needed. In my eyes, supplements are for the sake of treating a deficiency, so I find it inappropriate to need to be dependent on them in place of nutrient-dense food. It's disconcerting.

Oh, and sunlight is intolerable. It makes my skin feel like it's crawling. Don't like it. Won't be sitting it in for vitamin D. Gotta take pills. Sorry.

Sara123

Re: Vitamin D3 cured my anxiety, depression, and panic disorder

Postby Sara123 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi. can you help me please Ali? I was searching you on facebook, instagram and etc:-(. Ive seen your post in some sites, but couldnt ask any question there! Dont know why! I have some questions and i dont have any up to date dr around, can I have your email please? I'll really appreciate that
Its mine: [email protected]

Ali wrote:Vitamin D3 Cured my Anxiety, Depression, and Panic Disorder

Hello:

I suffred from depression, anxiety, and panic disorder for a few decades. One day, accidentally, I read something about vitamin D3, and depression on the Net, which ultimately changed my life.

A few months after reading the article, I decided to go for a routine check up, and blood test. This time, I asked for a vitamin D3 test to be included. The test result showed that I was deficient on vitamin D3 !!!

After visiting a doctor known for his work on vitamins, and amino acids deficiencies, I got 300,000 IU (International Units) monthly injections of vitamin D3. Three days after receiving the first injection, the depression started lifting, and in the second month, all symptoms of depression, anxiety, and panic attacks vanished. It has been 18 months since the first injection. I am on a maintenance dose of vitamin D3. There is no doubt that I have been cured, 100%.

The first question that will pop up in your over exhausted heads is that why the doctors do not know much about the curing power of vitamin D3 ? Dr. S. Zaidi is an Assitant Professor of Medicine at UCLA. In general terms, he answers the above question in his book, Power Of Vitamin D:

"Why hasn't my Doctor told me about all the beneficial effects
of Vitamin D ?"

"Unfortunately, This exciting new knowledge about vitamin D hasn't reached the radar screen of most physicians, nor has it reached the curriculum of medical schools. Why? Because no drug company is behind it. It's not a drug. it's cheap and you can obtain it over the counter. Unfortunately, most of our medical research, medical guidelines for practicing physicians and medical knowledge in text books is dependent upon drug companies one way or another. Sad but true! It may take years before this revolutionary knowledge finds its way into medical books and physician's offices."

Well, the above quotation should answer some of your questions.

By arranging for a vitamin D3 (25-OH) blood test, you will know the level of vitamin D3 in your body. If your test result is low, which most likely it will be, please take the lab papers to an up to date doctor, and ask him/her to put you on high doses of vitamin D3. It is very important that you go to an up to date doctor before you start your medications--don't forget it please.

Vitamin D3 treatment has worked for me, and many others. There is a good chance that it could work for you also, if you are low on this vital vitamin. Your feedback on your progress will highly be appreciated.

Best wishes,
Ali

Return to “Your Story”