When people are sick of 'listening'..help?

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, Astrid

Squirt

When people are sick of 'listening'..help?

Postby Squirt » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:41 pm

My first day here on the board.
My story is long, as Im sure others may be as well, wont bore with history etc just recent changes..
I was diagnosed with chronic depression when I was 25, I am now 50.
Two years ago, the love of my life separated from me, he was playing with someone else. I didnt see it coming at all. I relocated 2 states to be near my daughter & grandchildren..so left my home, relationship, job, lifestyle etc.
HUGE trigger!
I have found since all this that my depression has just gotten worse and worse over the 2 yrs. Little things are huge things and I cry all the time :(
I live in a caravan on a friends property..'building' my caravan home at 50, is taking its toll at my age, but I am very grateful for my friend helping me by providing the land, think I would be dead if she hadnt.

So! I want to ask..what do people do when the people who are your supports to listen, are tired of listening?
Im finding that my 2 friends who listen to me - which is all I want them to do - are now getting angry with me which is tearing me apart even more.

I have done and still do all the medical things - on double doseage of meds, seen psychs, counsellors etc..

Suggestions?
:)

nenkohai

Postby nenkohai » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:43 am

Might you be able to talk with them about it? May not be a comfortable convo, but could be very productive.

Let them know you're not looking to be fixed, or asking/looking for solutions, but just need a friend...

A thought.

NK

Royg

Postby Royg » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Please tread carefully or you stand a good chance of loosing your friends. They really don't and can't understand this world of pain you find yourself in, I once had friends and family that helped and now I'm lucky if I get one text message or a call.
I spoke to a family member yesterday about how I think I could take the pain and that I was sorry that I couldn't smile and take the pain, that's all everyone wants to see, a big smile ! I think it makes them feel guilty if you look depressed.
I know I don't have the answers but I do understand and I know first hand how you can wake up one morning and find yourself all on your own. Is probably a good idea to let your friends know that you are not looking for answers and just want to talk, it will still eventually wear them down though.

Emj

Postby Emj » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:14 pm

I think your friends are seemingly angry with you because 1. they can't/don't understand your dilemma 2. they don't see you helping yourself. This may sound blunt, but I know that the only person who can make me happy is me. I'm being treated for anxiety/depression (you may read my profile). I get so angry at my friends and boyfriend that I say to myself....forget them, and do my own thing. Blessings on your life.

TonyK

Postby TonyK » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Royg wrote:Please tread carefully or you stand a good chance of loosing your friends. They really don't and can't understand this world of pain you find yourself in, I once had friends and family that helped and now I'm lucky if I get one text message or a call.
I spoke to a family member yesterday about how I think I could take the pain and that I was sorry that I couldn't smile and take the pain, that's all everyone wants to see, a big smile ! I think it makes them feel guilty if you look depressed.
I know I don't have the answers but I do understand and I know first hand how you can wake up one morning and find yourself all on your own. Is probably a good idea to let your friends know that you are not looking for answers and just want to talk, it will still eventually wear them down though.

I have to agree with you.

Return to “Your Story”