Misdiagnosed and misunderstood.....

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

Louisiana1976

Misdiagnosed and misunderstood.....

Postby Louisiana1976 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:59 pm

early in life. That's the story of my life. When I was around 10 (this was in the Dark Ages of the late 60's) I was told that I suffered from a "learning disability" which we now call ADHD. For that condition I had to take Dilantin, phenobarbital, and mezantoin for about 6 years.

It seems I've always had trouble with my moods and with controlling my emotions. It started when I was a teenager and there were weeks on end where I just didn't feel up to going to school. I'd tell my mom I had a sore throat, headache, cramps, anything to get out of going. I just felt too tired to go--and only recently have I realized that I'd been having symptoms of depression back then.

For while I've usually been down--low energy--tired, achy, etc., and cried easily, with a strange appetite--sometimes I'd eat more, sometimes I hardly felt like eating. And sleep--there were times I'd go to bed as early as 6PM and sleep through the night, other times I'd have trouble falling asleep or wake up early in the morning.

At other times I'd have a brief spurt of about a week or two when I'd feel energetic, active, and just plain "up." I'd also go on spending sprees and eat more. Racing thoughts, full of ideas, more creative than usual. But I'd also feel irritable and impatient and have a short fuse which has gotten me into trouble at me previous job and in several other situations.

Because due to a combination of things: lack of insurance, the fear of side-effects, and the fear of others knowing I'm not quite "right" in the head, it took me a few decades (I'm now 50) to seek treatment for what I've been going through. Because the way I'd been feeling grew steadily worse and as noted I'd started having trouble in other areas of life I decided it was time I got help.

WarInside

Postby WarInside » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:39 am

I know where you're coming from with the downs. I'm glad you decided to get help. I'm still trying to overcome that fear of people knowing that all is not well in my mind. I really hope that your life improves now that you are seeking help.

Louisiana1976

WarInside,

Postby Louisiana1976 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:00 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I've been having a rough day. I hope your life has been improving, too. And WarInside--that's a great "nom de blog." I wonder if that's the way a lot of us feel at least some of the time.

Emotional_77

Postby Emotional_77 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:36 pm

hey Louisiana1976, welcome to the site :). I am glad to hear you are getting help and this site will also help with that. Hope to hear from you again.

WarInside

Postby WarInside » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:17 pm

I'm sorry for your rough day. I've found that the best remedy for days where things seem bad is to talk to someone. I know I wouldn't made it this far without my friends.

Louisiana1976

Postby Louisiana1976 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:56 pm

Thanks---things are going better now than they had been earlier....

Warmsoul/Jeanie13

Postby Warmsoul/Jeanie13 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:20 pm

(((((((((((((((Louisiana))))))))))

Pleased they are!

Warmie 8)

Return to “Your Story”