My story - here goes...

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

LynB

My story - here goes...

Postby LynB » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:18 am

Hi, I'm new to these boards, so bear with me! I'm 44 years old, divorced, with a teenage son. I was diagnosed with breast cancer last September, and finished my treatment in December. I have a good prognosis, and have recovered well, apart from tiredness. I was, however, diagnosed with depression, as I have never been good at dealing with illness. My mum has a lump, which she is having removed on Tuesday 5th, and they don't know exactly what it is - this is what has tipped me over the edge. I've always been very close to my mum (my dad passed away five years ago), and I don't know where to turn. My son is picking up on my moods, and although he doesn't say much, I know it's affecting him, as he's not a very self confident boy, anyway.

The doctor put me on Fluoxetine 20mg, which I have been taking for just over a week. How long do they take before they kick in? I'm also on Diazepam for anxiety - I've been on that for years.

I know you can't offer miracle solutions, but any advice on how I can get through this would be appreciated.

shmuel

Postby shmuel » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:58 am

Hi LynB... thanks for sharing your story... hugs ya :D
I don`t have any experience with medications so I can`t answer your question on thet theme.
I`m a father with a teenage daughter... and I understand your worries about "picking up on my moods". Just be honest with your son... I know we can`t burden them with all our pain... but we can share a little of our worries.
We have to find a strength.. believe me we have it.. as parents we can pull through... if you can`t do it alone then get help... anywhere... I use this place for that...others ..visit a doctor,friend.
The whole point is never feel helpless or lost.

A good place to have a really good chat/vent about your worries is the IRC chat.
I`m just a nooby here too... but I find the chat a great place to get some real time contact and help,, as you say there are no miracle solutions but there are lots of friends here

LynB

Postby LynB » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:20 am

Thank you for your reply, Shmuel, I appreciate it. You sound like a great dad, I only wish my son had one! He hasn't seen him since he was 8, he's 15 now. He sent him a Christmas card, the first one in eight years, promising he would be in touch in the New Year - that was obviously a load of bull. Still, David (my son) doesn't really care, or says he doesn't, but he must be hurting. I had the joy of my father's love for 39 years before he passed away, and have many good memories of him. It's nice to know there are people like yourself who understand how I feel - we are not strangers, just friends who have never met.

Take care

shmuel

Postby shmuel » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:44 am

:D and you sound like a great mother...
My EX dumped our daughter on me when she was 4 years... ran off with the love of her life...good luck to em.
We`ve also had loads of cards saying this and that.. as you say ..a load of bull.
My daughters grown up with a really bad image of her mother... I just hope it doesn`t harm her.
I worry a bit about that... when ever she talks about her mother it`s just about the how bad she is.
I never stood in the way of contact... but the contact never came...strange..I would never lose contact with my daughter... never.
what did you say - "we are not strangers, just friends who have never met"
beautiful... however we have met.
I`m so glad we have met...

Return to “Your Story”