People who recovered: How did you do it?

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, cj-, BlueGobi, Moderators, Frame

Drea

People who recovered: How did you do it?

Postby Drea » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:48 pm

Hi. First time posting on this board. The short version of my story is that I was in a relationship with someone who went through a traumatic event that completely changed him. I tried very hard for a very long time to help -- it was incredibly scary and stressful -- and in the end he pushed me away. It's been months since we last spoke but I still think about him every day. He was suicidal; I have no idea how he is doing now, there was absolutely zero closure, and that all completely tears me apart.

I noticed over the past year and a half or so that the the feelings I was feeling were not just sadness, worry or stress. I'm experiencing depression and anxiety to the point that I can't get out of bed. My personality and my outlook have completely changed. It's something that consumes me every waking hour, every day. I recognize the signs. There is this very heavy weight on my chest that won't go away. I have good days every once in a while but those are fleeting.

My job keeps me very busy so I've only spoken with a therapist online before. That was okay, but I'm still feeling how I feel. I have Ativan for anxiety and have not taken anything regularly for depression. I have found that doing cardio can sometimes elevate my mood for a few hours, sometimes into the next day, but getting to a gym is a mountain to climb some days. I have wonderful friends I can talk to about anything, but at this point I feel like I've said the same thing over and over.

I'm wondering: For those of you who have managed to pull yourself out of this, how did you do it? What made you feel better, whether it be temporarily or somewhat permanently?

littlestarsmum

Re: People who recovered: How did you do it?

Postby littlestarsmum » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:50 pm

Welcome to this forum, Drea.
I’m so sorry to hear about your struggles. I appreciate your willingness to help your loved one. I know it’s not easy to go through depression and anxiety. These are very complex issues that deserve personal and in-depth attention. In situation like yours, I believe there is no substitute for one-on-one interaction with a caring professional counselor/therapist. I’d suggest that you get help soon. I just said a prayer for you, and I hope God will surround you with His comfort and provide the strength and help you need at this time. Remember that you deserve to feel better and you don’t need to carry your burdens alone. You can always come here to share and I’m sure you’ll find a lot of help and support. Stay strong. Hugs!

RustyTavern

Re: People who recovered: How did you do it?

Postby RustyTavern » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 am

Realise that the meaning of life is not to have a goal to be happy but rather a goal to handle strife. If you like 'God' is actually a devil. Indeed if God were traditional, then wouldn't it being hinting at the humbleness he advocates? Consider that if there were a devil, then of course, he would present himself as a goodly God. Yet all God's teachings hint at evil: smite; drink the blood; punishment; plagues/floods etc.

Realise that we're all playing in this game so we need to become masters.

The top of every hill gives a enables perspective

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”