Have a Hard Time Saying I am Depressed

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

tops

Have a Hard Time Saying I am Depressed

Postby tops » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:43 pm

Years ago I was taught that you had problems and when you hit a brick wall you aimed higher and jumped over it. I was told things like it's your choice, get over it, snap out of it, etc. So the word depression was not in my vocabulary. Through my life I kept reading about people with depression and I thought it was just an excuse for not being able to hack it in life. I still wonder am I a depressed person or have I become weak and want a crutch to fall back on. I am 74 with health problems that have stopped me from living any kind of happy life. I am in the house most of the time. I worry about money and going blind the most. I guess I want someone to tell me if I fit in with depressed people. I feel guilty to say it when I read some of the sad things here. I don't feel I am that bad off. I guess I am lonely and kind of scared about getting even sicker than I am, but isn't that a normal thing for elderly people?
I would never be able to sit across from a therapist and talk freely. I would never , ever take a pill to feel better. So where does that leave me?

Ichthymom

Re: Have a Hard Time Saying I am Depressed

Postby Ichthymom » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:16 pm

From what I understand, there is a spectrum of depression. Your depression may not be as severe as others but may still be considered "depression". Would you feel comfortable talking to your doctor about it? They can also access you for depression.
Depression cannot be dealt with alone or in the dark. You need support from the people around you and possibly even professional help. I am hoping for the best for you.

Return to “Your Story”