Long-term depression

Shared experiences of life, and the path that has led you to where you are.

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

petedubina

Long-term depression

Postby petedubina » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Hello all - I joined this forum today. My story is I've had a pretty crushing depression from the age of about 15 until 41 (last year) when thanks to some research I did my doctor and I came up with a cocktail that got rid of it. It's a very complex case. I was happy for about two weeks then went into a state of shock when I realized how many years I'd lost (it was surviving, nowhere near living) and what the life implications were. I'm now well enough to think about cutting back on some of the meds but I'm really stuck on losing such a large chunk of life. It was a jail sentence.

jennypa

Re: Long-term depression

Postby jennypa » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi petdubina,

I'm sorry to hear this. It also seemed like I have lost my teenage years to have fun when I was diagnosed as a bipolar from 17 and even till now, I am 31. But since I have finally found the right meds and have been helped by doctors, I feel like a new person. I am doing things differently and helping others more rather than feeling sorry for myself. I feel a lot happier when doing service to others rather than trying to keep myself happy. That is where the truth lies in. Like what I use to hear before, "If you are depressed, forget yourself, and serve others."

jennypa

Andy_S

Re: Long-term depression

Postby Andy_S » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi,

This is the first time I've posted on a site like this before despite having depression for over half of my life. I was a high functioning depressed person but over the last few years that's no longer the case as my depression/chronic dysthymia has gotten worse. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with Anhedonia??

Thanks

Return to “Your Story”