More than one-third of American adults may be using prescription medications that can potentially cause depression or in

Everyday life. How was your day?

Moderators: windsong, BlueGobi, Moderators, vince13, Maelstrom, Astrid

BillHicksFan

More than one-third of American adults may be using prescription medications that can potentially cause depression or in

Postby BillHicksFan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:28 pm

More than one-third of American adults may be using prescription medications that can potentially cause depression or increase the risk of suicide, according to a study published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Because of how widely used some of these medications are, doctors and health care providers may be unaware of any increased risk of depression or suicide, even though they are known side effects, the researchers said.

Approximately 15 percent of adults who used three or more of these medications at the same time said they experienced depression while taking the drugs, while only 5 percent said they experienced depression among those not using any of the drugs.

For those using one of the medications, 7 percent said they experienced depression, and for those taking two drugs simultaneously, 9 percent experienced depression.

"The takeaway message of this study is that polypharmacy [being on more than one drug at once] can lead to depressive symptoms and that patients and health care providers need to be aware of the risk of depression that comes with all kinds of common prescription drugs -- many of which are also available over the counter," Dima Qato, the study's lead author and an assistant professor of pharmacy systems, outcomes and policy at the University of Illinois Chicago College of Pharmacy, said in a statement.

"Many may be surprised to learn that their medications, despite having nothing to do with mood or anxiety or any other condition normally associated with depression, can increase their risk of experiencing depressive symptoms, and may lead to a depression diagnosis," she added.

With the national suicide rate increasing, Qato said, "We need to think innovatively about depression as a public health issue, and this study provides evidence that patterns of medication use should be considered in strategies that seek to eliminate, reduce or minimize the impact of depression in our daily lives."

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/more-third-am ... lness.html

jennypa

Re: More than one-third of American adults may be using prescription medications that can potentially cause depression o

Postby jennypa » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi BillHicksFan,

I thank you for providing this insight with us, but to tell you the truth some of what they have said is true and some are not true. I have been taking meds for more my mental illness (bipolar) for over a decade now. Some have caused me to have some major side effects but some have proven to be good for me. That is the reason why a mental patient is provided with different kinds of meds from their psychiatrists in order to find the right one for them.

But I would like to share with you a wonderful quote from a wonderful man named Thomas S. Monson. He said, "Never let a problem to be solved be more important than a person to be loved." Basically, a person can be provided with so many different kinds of medicines, but without unconditional love and support from loved ones, the medicines can be meaningless.

Once again, thanks BillHicksFan for your post.

Have a nice day,

jennypa

Return to “Living with Depression and other Related Health Concerns”